PDA

View Full Version : Perseid Meteor Shower 12 Aug '07

Matt
08-13-2007, 03:03 PM
The Perseid meteor shower occurs every year in August. It was a very clear night, despite seeing many meteors (some really bright too) I wasn't lucky enough to capture one on my Canon IXUS, despite taking these with a 15 second exposure time (400 ASA film speed).

Did manage to capture a passing satellite though (pic 3). I think it was a satellite , too high to be a plane and had no flashing lights.

The long exposure did create some nice shots of next doors house who had left a light on (pic 4). The moon on the clouds lit them up in an eerie way too (pic 2).

Hope you like these!

Cheers
Matt

Iain
08-13-2007, 03:09 PM
They're very cool, Matt! Great detail on the stars.

I've got an Ixus too-I honestly don't feel any need to upgrade from it.
Amazing what 180 gets you these days.

Matt
08-13-2007, 04:55 PM
Mine's an IXUS 400, so quite old now, I fancy upgrading to a decent digital SLR, but can't really justify the price of one. There are some nice cameras half-way between a point and shoot and an SLR that might be worth a go though.

Carm3D
08-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Those clouds look like it was just a procedural texture mapped on a plane. I think you can do better.

Matt
08-13-2007, 05:35 PM
I assume you're joking! These are photos not renders!

Carm3D
08-13-2007, 06:13 PM
Yes I was joking.

Matt
08-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Smilies Carm, smilies! :D

Carm3D
08-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Not a fan of Bob Newhart I take it.

agv
08-13-2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the rend- eh, I mean photos. Unfortunately, I couldn't see any meteors. How often did they show? I hear they might still be out tonight, but in less quantity.

Russel
08-14-2007, 01:14 AM
Not sure about others... but I went out between 4:30 and 6 am yesterday morning (In CA) and saw about 20+ meteors (bright, with long luminous dust trails - & various colors) along with about a dozen satellites whizzing by.
Never saw so many in that amount of time... missed some too according to those I was with -- who were constantly saying, "Oh, did you see that one?!"
:D
It was fun, but man, is it cold in the morning!

Matt
08-14-2007, 01:20 AM
I saw about 15 in one hour, but missed them on the photos, but thought they were cool photos nevertheless!

Iain
08-14-2007, 01:44 AM
Mine's an IXUS 400, so quite old now, I fancy upgrading to a decent digital SLR, but can't really justify the price of one. There are some nice cameras half-way between a point and shoot and an SLR that might be worth a go though.

I thought about spending a fair bit on an SLR but my wife put me straight on that one so I got the Ixus 75 and it's surprisingly good. The videos are great.

My problem is that in a smoggy city like Edinburgh you see very little celestial detail. :thumbsdow

flakester
08-14-2007, 02:24 AM
I was camping down in West Sussex on Saturday just gone, and during the night we could see parts of our own Milky Way - it was that clear.

Unfortunately, we had to come back daytime on Sunday - so no meteor shower for us this year. :thumbsdown:

Nice pics though Matt, even if you didn't manage to catch exactly what you were after. Liking the soft drift on the long exposure of the clouds a lot!

flakester.

colkai
08-14-2007, 03:46 AM
My problem is that in a smoggy city like Edinburgh you see very little celestial detail. :thumbsdow
Anyplace 'populated' is a pain, when we first moved, we could see loads of stars, now there are hundreds more houses and each feckker insists on an array of bleedin' "security" lights pointing anywhere but at their own property! Argghhh.

Thank the Gods for our visits to the country where I can get a sore neck looking up at the myriad of stars. :)

Light pollution - don'tcha just hate it?

Matt
08-14-2007, 04:00 AM
I went camping in Devon last year, and we could see the soft glow of the Milky Way, awesome!

colkai
08-14-2007, 06:21 AM
That must be awesome, I'm normally around Stafford (Cannock Chase Forest)

Signal to Noise
08-14-2007, 08:40 AM
The peak time in my neck of the woods (MST) was supposedly 11 pm August 11. I stood outside in my backyard for maybe 45 minutes and saw not a one. I checked again a couple of hours later and still nothing. Sky may have been still to bright from the distant city lights or slightly overcast. Disappointing.

In my younger years we use to throw meteor watching parties. Until I fell asleep one night and woke up in the morning to find I had been tied up in my hammock!

zardoz
08-14-2007, 08:56 AM
I live in Sintra at 200 meters from the atlantic ocean, and I don't have lots of light, so I manage to see the Milky way, and yesterday I did a 10 minutes photo and I could get one meteor in that photo...the night before in 10 minutes I saw 5 meteors...not bad.

trentonia
08-14-2007, 09:04 AM
If you guys want to check out satellites, space station, hubble telescope, iridium flares, comets, etc., go to http://www.heavens-above.com and enter your coordinates. There are dozens of satellites that come by every night. If you haven't ever seen an iridium flare I would suggest that you check those out. It's a very interesting site. Happy viewing.

Andyjaggy
08-14-2007, 10:58 AM
If you ever get the chance go comping in the southern Utah desert. Amazing stars! You get the crisp clear desert air and you are 300 miles from any city.

phillydee
08-14-2007, 11:01 AM
If you ever get the chance go comping in the southern Utah desert. Amazing stars! You get the crisp clear desert air and you are 300 miles from any city.

Good to know, man... I'm planning a camping trip right now:thumbsup:

flakester
08-14-2007, 11:02 AM
What I wouldn't give to be 300 miles from the nearest city sometimes..... and not just for the stars! :p

Andyjaggy
08-14-2007, 11:11 AM
It's awesome. I absolutely love the desert. It's an amazing place.

Signal to Noise
08-14-2007, 01:19 PM
It's awesome. I absolutely love the desert. It's an amazing place.

Do you (or have you ever) attend the Burning Man (http://www.burningman.com/) festival?

That's something I want to do one of these years.:thumbsup: