PDA

View Full Version : FPrime animation!

sean hargreaves
08-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Hi Guys, whats the deal with animating in FPrime? I tried it but the files are wierd, like, I get a load of single frame files on my desktop after its completed a frame. Why can't I save it as an animation file so that its like a Quicktime movie that I can view. :stumped:

alifx
08-13-2007, 12:48 PM
the way that Fprime render animation to sequence is better than rendering to a movie.

with this way you can pause the render and then continue in another time or day.

you can make a video by importing them to Quicktime Pro if you have it.
there are a few free programs there that convert image sequence to a movie file also.

steve0077
08-13-2007, 12:55 PM
As far as I know F-Prime renders to a number series of frames that are import into a video editor that outputs it into a movie format. So if you render in f_prime save to a empty folder. In Speed Edit you suppose to be able to just drag the folder into the program and in puts it together as a movie. Haven't try this yet, but have done this with with other aps. There are free programs on the net that also do this.

cagey5
08-13-2007, 01:05 PM
As has been said, the biggest difference with this approach is that it can be halted and re-started. You very quickly get a rough render of all your frames that you can combine to see the full animation. If there is some fundamental error you'll see it quicker this way. In addition you can just leave it rendering and it will cycle through the frames constantly refining it, so you can jump in as soon as 'it is good enough/you need it'

sean hargreaves
08-13-2007, 06:08 PM
Thanks guys, excellent tips. I'll try the empty folder to SpeedEdit thing. :thumbsup:

voriax
08-13-2007, 06:18 PM
Another tip: don't save render files to your desktop.

Same explanation. Fprime doesn't save to animation file formats, only to still frames, which is the superior way of doing it. I believe Quicktime pro will load a sequence of images as an animation.
Any video editing software should do the same. If you don't have editing software, then use LW to compile it to an animation file, thusly;

1. Load the images into LW as an image sequence (load the first image and set the image type to sequence)
2. Set the image sequence as the background image in LW
3. Set the resolution of the camera to the same resolution as the images
4. Set the number of frames to correspond to the image sequence, and set the animation output to what you want, and press F10.

Edit: Or just use SpeedEdit. :P

Matt
08-13-2007, 06:35 PM
Another tip! Saving disk space ...

When rendering frames for an animation, do a test frame (rendered to disk) to see what quality level will be good enough, then when you render the rest (to disk again) set FPrime to 'Classic NON-refinable'.

FPrime will now render without the '.fprimedat' and '.rawhdr' files, thus saving disk space. But as the name suggests, you won't be able to further refine the frames later.