PDA

View Full Version : Where is 9.3?

joeldberry
08-13-2007, 07:58 AM
Is there a REAL, production release of Lightwave 9.3?

Or is the announcement only covering the "LightWave v9.2 Open Beta Patch Release 9.3, Open Beta Release Candidate 3 - Build 1264 - 08 /10 /2007" that I find in my downloads?

From Newtek's announcement, it sounded like 9.3 was already available ("announces the availability of") for SIGGRAPH... but I haven't seen anything on a 9.3 release? Where is it?

Thanks,

jdb

Nicolas Jordan
08-13-2007, 08:27 AM
I think they meant 9.3 is available to anyone who has upgraded to 9.0 in your downloads section.

GCL
08-13-2007, 08:32 AM
Is there a REAL, production release of Lightwave 9.3?

Or is the announcement only covering the "LightWave v9.2 Open Beta Patch Release 9.3, Open Beta Release Candidate 3 - Build 1264 - 08 /10 /2007" that I find in my downloads?

From Newtek's announcement, it sounded like 9.3 was already available ("announces the availability of") for SIGGRAPH... but I haven't seen anything on a 9.3 release? Where is it?

Thanks,

jdb

Just checked my download and there is NO 9.3. Started since the 11th and nothing there. One of those when it is ready it is ready deals.

Twisted_Pixel
08-13-2007, 08:34 AM
I'm not on beta, and can not yet see it.

phillydee
08-13-2007, 11:30 AM
Hey guys, if you go here http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=580902&postcount=78

it apparently says 9.3 on the top....

joeldberry
08-13-2007, 11:32 AM
I think they meant 9.3 is available to anyone who has upgraded to 9.0 in your downloads section.

I tend to disagree. Nowhere in their announcement did they refer to the 9.3 update as a BETA.

In fact it sounds like they were announcing a REAL release update formally named 9.3...

The problem is: they "announced" the "availability" and yet it is NOT available... anywhere... If it wasn't available, why did they announce that it was? Why not just say, "We are announcing the upcoming release" or "upcoming availability" of 9.3?

Once again, it sounds like a company has gotten ahead of itself with "not-quite-ready-for-primetime" software being announced as available...

Lest I get flamed for being a "complainer", I want to state that we Lightwave users are all hoping and hoping for Lightwave to pull ahead of (or at least pull up to) other leading 3D packages, and that's why we are so anxious when these announcements of "availability" are made...

BETA is BETA... but when the software updates are actually released and available, it is much more encouraging to us Lightwave users...

Medi8or
08-13-2007, 11:54 AM
They didn't announce that it was available, they said it would be available during Siggraph. It isn't available, so one can only assume a bug was discovered that needs to be removed before LW 9.3 is released.
When it IS available, we will probably see an announcement in the vicinity of "Lightwave 9.3 is now available for download".

JeffrySG
08-13-2007, 12:32 PM
It is ONLY available right now as part of the OpenBeta program. It has been available like this for a few weeks already... If you own v9 you can join the openbeta program and then download it for free.

joeldberry
08-13-2007, 01:00 PM
They didn't announce that it was available, they said it would be available during Siggraph.

Uh, aren't you contradicting yourself? During SIGGRAPH they announced the "availability" of 9.3. Based on my speaking English for nearly 32 years now, I think I understand that announcing the "availability" basically means that it WAS available at the time of announcement. Yet, it was actually NOT available during SIGGRAPH, or even up until the time of this post...

I agree with you, however, that a bug probably stopped the release. That's my point. Why did they even announce the availability if it wasn't in fact available?

And, yes, I know that "it" (the BETA) has been available in our download section as a BETA. The press release didn't say anything about it being available in BETA, so this is NOT what they meant.

For your reference, I have included the first portion of the press release below (emphasis added by me):

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NewTek Releases New Update to LightWave 3D®

LightWave® v9.3 delivers further enhancements to new camera tools, node editor and global illumination

San Diego, CA -- SIGGRAPH -- August 7, 2007 -- NewTek, Inc., manufacturer of industry-leading 3D animation and video products, today announced the availability of LightWave® v9.3, during SIGGRAPH 2007, August 7th – 11th. This is the second in a series of free updates to the Emmy®-award winning 3D application. LightWave v9.3 provides improvements in rendering technology, including: the ability to render lines with photorealistic motion blur; two new sub-surface scattering shaders that are significantly faster than earlier shaders, and higher quality as well; various performance enhancements throughout the product; as well as numerous maintenance improvements. Other improvements in LightWave v9.3 include advancements in the LightWave software developer’s kit and scripting language to provide greater access to third parties and artists for creation of custom plug-ins and effects. LightWave v9.3 is available free to all registered owners of LightWave v9.

Again, I am not bashing Lightwave or Newtek... I just wish that companies who say something is available would either put the product out, or not say it is available...

Anyway... Whatever... I realize now that it is obviously NOT available... and having been given no indications of when it will BE available... I like everyone else will have to wait until it IS available... No point in rounding on this issue anymore...

OOZZEE
08-13-2007, 01:10 PM
more unnecessary confusion for LW users...

the point update could have been an AHHHHH YEAH !!! instead of what the heck is going on this time ?

oh well, got to learn to live with it here.

Medi8or
08-13-2007, 01:55 PM
I guess I put more weight on the part "during SIGGRAPH 2007, August 7th – 11th." :)

My point was, it isn't available, even if some people say it is. And I'm quite confident Newtek will announce it ready for download when it is...

Lew
08-14-2007, 07:45 AM
Not able to download anything now. Just me or is the site down for downloads?

Weetos
08-14-2007, 09:08 AM
LW9.3 is still not officially released (still in RC status), meaning you have to join the OB program if you want to download it before it's released.

Don't know why they said it would be made available during Siggy, though - I guess they needed to announce something, just like the competition did

prospector
08-14-2007, 09:17 AM
I read it as available (which it is)
Available to all regestered ownwers of LW9 (which it is), as LW 9 owners are automatically in beta program.

But nowhere does it say it went gold and is released for general sale anywhere.
As long time Newtek customer,I find that ya can't read between the lines, ya can't assume there is some hidden meaning in statements. They usually say 'exactly' what they mean.

prospector
08-14-2007, 09:24 AM
I think they have a bank of lawyers writing up thier press releases.. :D :D

prospector
08-14-2007, 09:28 AM
I'm thinking I like the 'old' way better.
Not a peep out of them till the realease is 'officially' released.
Much less confusion, much less complaining, and no..where..when...why :D :D

sadkkf
08-14-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm thinking I like the 'old' way better.
Not a peep out of them till the realease is 'officially' released.
Much less confusion, much less complaining, and no..where..when...why

Agreed. This current approach infuses confusion and negative vibes. At this rate, NT could announce LW version 10 today and say "it's coming...." :rolleyes:

Scazzino
08-14-2007, 10:16 AM
I think they intended to release the final at Siggraph as announced but may have found that a few remaining issues needed to be resolved. There's usually a bit of a lead time needed for press releases etc, so it probably looked like a go when the press release was released that they'd be able to go gold by the 11th... for whatever reason (I'm sure it was a good reason or they would have released it as intended of course) they thought it needed a few more tweaks...

So, if you're a LW9 user you can download the 9.3 Open Beta right now which is most likely very, very, very close to what the final will be, or you can wait a few more days or so, for when the real one will probably really be released... I can't imagine that it'd be too much longer... better to get it right in the first place rather than have to pull it down and post another later...

:D

Earl
08-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Honestly, I like the fact that NewTek will hold a release until they iron out the bugs they feel are important. I don't like a build to be released to the public with known issues floating around (if they could have been fixed, that is).

steve0077
08-16-2007, 11:01 PM
Just showed up in my downloads LW9.3
Sweeeeeet!

kremesch73
08-16-2007, 11:09 PM
Same here.

Titus
08-17-2007, 08:26 AM
It seems the what's new file is missing in the server so, what's new?

RedBull
08-17-2007, 11:31 PM
Yes it seems in my .PDF that there is nothing new in Layout?

There are changes for 9.3 + 9.0 Modeler, and 9.2 + 9.0 Layout...
No changes for Layout in 9.3? or the HUB or SDK? Or just not listed ones?

Weetos
08-18-2007, 04:40 AM
Layout has been updated with a new shift camera (arch-viz guys will be happy :) ), single sided area lights and a few enhancement in the scene editor (nothing too fancy though) - I almost forgot edge rendering with 9.X Cameras, the new SSS shader, and a new render panel (that display thumbnails or rendered images in a sequence)

Nice update if you ask me, but the changes made in modeler concerning the new way of updating the viewports when resizing them hasn't been implemented in Layout ...

MentalFish
08-18-2007, 06:04 AM
I just want to sing the praise of 9.3's stability in Modeler, as 9.2 was worthless to me, had to stick to 9.0 for anything to get done. Not anymore :D

:thumbsup:

vadermanchild
08-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Is there a full list of upgrades?

small or otherwise.
Be nice to see if the changes I`ll notice are as thin as I think they may be.

RedBull
08-18-2007, 06:18 PM
Thanks Weetos...

The 64bit version seems to have the 9.2 readme file...
I was just confused by versions mentioned in the html docs...

But it was all in the .PDF anyway, with pictures and everything....