PDA

View Full Version : Flashing a PC video card for the mac?

aloysius1001
02-21-2003, 02:14 AM
I read something in the forums about "flashing" a PC card(GeForce 4 4600 Ti, I believe it was), to make it work on a Mac. Can someone explain how to do this & just what exactly you are doing to the card?
thanks

Ade
02-21-2003, 03:29 AM
All your doiong is telling the bios to understand the mac language.
The cards are the same in most respects, Nvidia cards actually have pc/mac bios inside em.

www.xlr8yourmac.com is where to read.
PCI pc cards are very difficault to flash to macs, AGP are easier.

mlinde
02-21-2003, 11:47 AM
That sounds much nicer than it really is.

You are erasing the firmware for the video card, and installing new firmware when you flash a video card. It can produce good results if done correctly, it can destroy a card if done improperly. It's not as simple as installing software or hardware on a computer. I'd recommend thouroughly reviewing the card you want to flash, the instructions you can find online, the issues that have occurred with others who have flashed the card, and then decide if you want to go there. Mike Breeden's site (XLR8 your mac) has a number of articles written by people who have succeeded and failed in flashing various cards.

I cannot stress this enough -- you CAN get a cheaper card for the PC and try to flash the ROM to make it work on your Mac, but this is NOT a 100% successful venture and not easy. You could end up wrecking the new card, voiding the warrantee on your Mac, or living happily ever after.