http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/a-history-of-the-amiga-part-2.ars

Snosrap
08-13-2007, 06:59 AM
Thanks Matt, this is great stuff!

Snosrap

LW3D
08-13-2007, 08:00 AM
Thanks Matt..

I want to share picture of LightWave 3.5 box shot with you. It was the first LightWave 3D version released on Amiga, which didn't require toaster board.

http://www.gokhansonmez.com/images/lw35/lw35.jpg

mattclary
08-13-2007, 08:34 AM
Wow! Floppies!

FBGB
08-13-2007, 08:50 AM
hahaha .. didnt know the story about the "Guru Meditation Error"!
i used to think that message was inviting me to meditate about what i did to produce such a failure! :compbeati

robewil
08-13-2007, 09:38 AM
The design eventually coalesced down to three chips named Agnes, Denise, and Paula. Apparently, the author didn't research this enough to know that the original chip names were Agnes (later renamed Agnus), Daphne, and Portia.

bluerider
08-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Thanks Matt..

I want to share picture of LightWave 3.5 box shot with you. It was the first LightWave 3D version released on Amiga, which didn't require toaster board.

http://www.gokhansonmez.com/images/lw35/lw35.jpg

Wow...thanks for sharing that image. Had not ever seen the packaging for that edition of LW :thumbsup:

Lewis
08-13-2007, 02:53 PM
Ahhh good old days :). I still remember of my Amiga 1000 and i still wonder why did I sold it back then in early 90's when i bought A1200 :). A1000 was so nicely designed in DeskTop Case that it would look nice even now comparing to all those new fancy cases. especially under the cover with all engraved signatures of engineers what worked at project and one Dog leg :).

Verlon
08-13-2007, 10:36 PM
I remember my A500 with extra ram and 48 meg hard drive all sticking out the left side. People were always asking why I would ever imagine I would need 9 megs of ram (and it was to run Imagine back then -- or Turbo Silver ACK!)

Later I went through an A1200, A2000 (with a Centaur board) and an A3000.

Even now, I look nostalgically over the occasional ebay listing and think back to those days.

-FP-
08-14-2007, 09:04 AM
Remember when Lightwave was still tied to the Toaster, and some company sold a small, cheap piece of hardware that allowed the use of LW without a Toaster? There was some controversy about it. Newtek maintained the device existed only to allow piracy. I think there was legal action. Any legitimate need for the circumvention hardware was removed when LW was finally released as a standalone product.

UnCommonGrafx
08-14-2007, 10:11 AM
Amiga, Imagine, organica, imagefx... oh my...

Makes me sad to think about this. Then mad. Then, back to the moment of the duocore rendering a frame and the beep that brought me back.

Thanks for keeping us apprised of these articles.

KSTAR
08-14-2007, 10:37 AM

Adpro, Image Master RT, Sculpt 4d, 3D Pro, Real 3D, OpalVision, Opal Paint! :)

Sarford
08-15-2007, 08:12 AM
Well, I bought an Amiga emulator the other day. Reading thoose ars Technica articles made me all sentimental :D. Now I can play Obliterator and Barbarian again, the emulator even makes the floppy disk sounds when loading programs! Ahh... I feel young again :D

SBowie
08-15-2007, 08:39 AM
Wow...thanks for sharing that image. Had not ever seen the packaging for that edition of LW :thumbsup:My first version ...

SBowie
08-15-2007, 08:40 AM

DCTV, Brilliance, MovieShop ...

KSTAR
08-15-2007, 10:06 AM
Well, I bought an Amiga emulator the other day. Reading thoose ars Technica articles made me all sentimental :D. Now I can play Obliterator and Barbarian again, the emulator even makes the floppy disk sounds when loading programs! Ahh... I feel young again :D

By Chance did you buy Amiga Forever? I have contemplated buying that for years

Sarford
08-15-2007, 12:14 PM
By Chance did you buy Amiga Forever? I have contemplated buying that for years

Yep, I did. Pretty good one too. I'm quite content with it. Here is the link for other people who might be in the same sentimental mood :D

Amiga Forever (http://www.amigaforever.com/)

byte_fx
08-15-2007, 01:22 PM
Definitely memory lane stuff.

And thanks for the links.

And the LW 3.5 pic. Had that version - it was my first. Can't remember but think it was eight floppies - although it seemed like 800 at install time.

Kind of frustating as I had a 1x cd reader shoehorned and duct taped into a Sidecar.

Bought the Amiga after an Apple salesman said it had much better graphics. He was right.

Then waited - and waited - and waited some more for the release of Toaster.

Those of you that have been around a bit probably remember the Toaster wait. Makes the wait for a new version or rev of LW seem like a couple of weeks doesn't it.

But those were volitile times in high tech land and ram price could fluctuate 75% in a single day - then back the other way on the following day. If anyone had it in stock. Chronic shortages everywhere. Waiting lists weeks or months long with no guarantee of price at delivery time.

Those interested in a standalone LW often called the Toaster "the world's most expensive dongle".

As I said - memory lane stuff.

byte_fx

prospector
08-15-2007, 04:24 PM
Yep, I did. Pretty good one too.
Got mine in 99? 2000? don't remember but is ver 1..just might upgrade.

Sarford
08-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Got mine in 99? 2000? don't remember but is ver 1..just might upgrade.

I'm amazed at how much fun those games still are, some of them are what, even twenty years old now. Game designers did learn a thing or two on playability though in those twenty years, some of these early games are extremly hard or totaly unplayable after the first level to be more exact.
As an example, I never have made it past the first level in Xenon 2, ever...

This stuff is dangerously distracting me from my work...

Jim_C
08-15-2007, 06:22 PM
Those interested in a standalone LW often called the Toaster "the world's most expensive dongle".

That's what us editors still called the Toaster(VT) until they came out with Speed Edit.

Verlon
08-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I remember reading the hint book for Drakon and saying --- something whole inappropriate for a forum that can be viewed by children, women, crusty old sailors and hardened criminals. I can't imagine how ANYONE solved that game (even by accident) without the hint book.

I still use that as my yardstick for "what the blazes were the game designers thinking when they wrote this? "

On the other hand, it was fun.

KSTAR
08-15-2007, 11:41 PM
I think Im going to fire up a game of Speed Ball, then follow up with Prince of Persia :thumbsup:

mav3rick
08-16-2007, 04:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1frCPLsTu4&mode=related&search=

how about this demo ?
it is winner of assembly 2006.
runs entirely on 68060 amiga

mav3rick
08-16-2007, 04:13 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-wtMEBPWeMo

stereo version

jb_gfx
08-16-2007, 05:47 AM

Organica wasn't on Amiga but on PC.

3DGFXStudios
08-16-2007, 06:59 AM
amzing how many people started to work with lightwave on the amiga. I'm one of them! :) I guess I was about 10 years old wenn I started to play with it. I owned an Amiga 2000 after that a 500 and my last one was a 4000/040.