PDA

View Full Version : Installing 9.3 UB -- How?

spetznatz
08-13-2007, 03:48 AM
I've just d/l'ed 9.3 UB. There are no installation instructions, just an indication that I drag the "LightWave 3D 9" folder to my applications folder...

I do, that, start it -- "License Key not found - Running in Discovery Mode".

Go to Registration -- no 9.3 registration available. Go through 9.2 registration. Get sent my registration data via email. Run Register LightWave utility (copy it to same folder as 9.3 progs). Enter the License key I've been sent. Reports that License.key has been created. Yup, there it is.

Run Layout -- "License Key not found - Running in Discovery Mode".

What do I need to do to get 9.3 running?

BazC
08-13-2007, 04:19 AM
No-one is allowed to discuss the beta outside the beta forums. If you've only just registered for the beta it may take some time before you get access to the forums. If you don't get access to the beta forums with the next few days you'll need to contact the webmaster or Newtek member to get it sorted out.

spetznatz
08-13-2007, 04:26 AM
I wasn't aware this was a beta, sorry - it's announced on the main page and stated that it will be for release 7-11th August.

I'm on the Open Beta program, but have received no notification of a 9.3 beta -- This wasn't downloaded via the links sent via e-mail.

BazC
08-13-2007, 05:11 AM
Yes the download page is confusing but as far as I know the ppc version is a public release, the UB is still in beta.

Edit:Now I'm confused, I just checked the main page and it does look like the UB is available to everyone but I'm not aware that info being given out on the beta forums. I'm not sure if it's gone gold or not. Chilton?

What the hel In the UB installation the license.key file goes in user preferences>Lightwave3d.

Open the license file in text edit and make sure the only thing written in it is the number, nothing else, no spaces, returns etc just the number.

Hope that helps, apologies if the UB is out of beta!

Chuck
08-13-2007, 11:26 AM
We were trying hard to go gold last week, but in the end felt there is still more that needs to be resolved before we can do that. We're getting there as quickly as we can.

BazC
08-13-2007, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the info Chuck!

Stingslang
08-15-2007, 10:07 AM
yes i regestered with the beta program over a month ago and I still cannot get any response from customer service or the webmaster. So much for the help. Try looking at the service you get from some of your compeditors like Autodesk and Maxon.

Mr Maze
08-15-2007, 11:22 AM
C'mon Chuck! You have it posted on the Newtek site that you are shipping the UB!!! :twak:

Tony3d
08-18-2007, 08:45 AM
We were trying hard to go gold last week, but in the end felt there is still more that needs to be resolved before we can do that. We're getting there as quickly as we can.

Chuck, Is the PPC version final? I'm in the middle of a project, and am very tempted to upgrade. What do you think?

Chilton
08-18-2007, 08:54 AM
Hi,

The UB can be installed alongside the (old style) CFM PPC version. It is faster than the CFM version, and uses a simpler structure for its preferences. It also sits in its own folder in your Applictions folder, so you can have both on your system at one time.

My only request is that if you run both the old and new versions at the same time, don't expect the Hub on the new one to behave normally. The new Hub operates much differently than the old one did (which is why it works correctly now), but a side effect is that it can get confused if there are multiple copies of Layout or Modeler running.

-Chilton

spetznatz
08-31-2007, 06:00 AM
Hi all --

Revisiting because I still can't get the thing to run.

The New folder is sitting on my hard drive. I have copied the license info from my products page and pasted it into a plain text file (using BBedit), file called 'License.key'

Starting 9.3, I get 'License key not found'.

I also tried copying the 'Register LightWave.app' from my 9.2 installation (which does work OK) into the 9.3 folder. It went OK, and reported that the License.key file had been created (it had). However, when starting, I still get the 'License Key not found' message.

I've also e-mailed NewTek Europe about this, but five days later have had no reply.

Chilton
08-31-2007, 06:17 AM
Hi,

Make sure the USB Dongle is inserted.
Open Layout.
Select the last item in the MacOS Menu Bar under Help. I think it's called, 'Enter Unlock Code...'
Enter your license key serial number there.
Restart Layout.

That should do it.

-Chilton

kodebo
09-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Make sure the USB Dongle is inserted.
Open Layout.
Select the last item in the MacOS Menu Bar under Help. I think it's called, 'Enter Unlock Code...'
Enter your license key serial number there.
Restart Layout.

I'm also having this problem. I follow the steps above, but when I click "Enter Unlock Code...", a message pops up that says "Unknown command: 'Generic_makelicense'".

JohnKocon
09-05-2007, 09:10 PM
I think I have the solution you guys are looking for- 9.3UB couldn't find my Eve3 (Rainbow) dongle- it turns out that the Eve3.framework packaged with 9.3UB is incompatible with my dongle - but by replacing the Eve3.framework folder in 9.3UB with an earlier version of Eve3 in both layout & modeler, I was able to get them to see my dongle!! Here's the link to my post giving more detail :

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73496

AfterEffectsGuy
09-07-2007, 08:46 PM
As someone who is just jumping back into Lightwave (after 4 years)...

I have to say I am not getting a real favorable first impression about LW on the Mac.

I am not a programmer yet I can muddle my way through putting together a dual platform install program--with help and auto start, etc. etc.

And I am NO programmer!

Yet I am supposed to DEBUG Newtek's installer?

Chilton
09-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Hi,

No installer is necessary for the Universal Binary. You just drag and drop it to the Applications folder and you're done.

-Chilton

Chilton
09-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Hi,

I'm also having this problem. I follow the steps above, but when I click "Enter Unlock Code...", a message pops up that says "Unknown command: 'Generic_makelicense'".

This is a bug, unfortunately. We'll have a fix for it shortly. If you aren't up and running yet though, just let us know.

-Chilton

Regius
09-10-2007, 02:15 AM
Hi,

This is a bug, unfortunately. We'll have a fix for it shortly. If you aren't up and running yet though, just let us know.

-Chilton

I have the exact same problem:
"Unknown command: 'Generic_makelicense'"

Looking forward to a solution. :)

DCordes
09-10-2007, 09:37 AM
Please let us know of known bugs on the Mac side before you ship out. If that is at all possible. Like some hoops we need to jump through installing for example. I've noticed a consistent post-bug-surge on the Mac side after every release of LW after 7.5. We need your help that your product doesn't hang up our production schedules. It's a win win or lose lose situation for all of us with deadlines looming.

I'm staying with the pre UB version until its clear.

Thanks and all the best,

DC

Steamthrower
09-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Please let us know of known bugs on the Mac side before you ship out.

Forgive me for saying this, but 9.3 is beta.

Chilton
09-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Hi,

Please let us know of known bugs on the Mac side before you ship out.

This was not a known bug when it shipped. All major bugs were fixed before we shipped, which is why we have an Open Beta program. Any v9 user is free to sign up, and help with the final stages of testing. No one, developers or users, caught this in our beta program before it shipped.

-Chilton

LastofTheLarrys
09-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Wow. My first post after a year of lurking.

So here goes.

:help:

Bought an 8 core Mac Pro and can't install 9.3 UB due to the bug listed above. Any idea when the "Unknown command: 'Generic_makelicense'" bug will be fixed?

Deadlines loom.

Thanks.

Um, Larry

Chilton
09-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Hi Larry,

Yes, that will be in the next update, which will happen 'very soon now'.

In the interim, if you save your license key into a text file named 'license.key', and put that in the SharedSupport folder of the LightWave3D folder, it should work just fine.

(that's all that script does)

-Chilton

LastofTheLarrys
09-10-2007, 06:20 PM
Hi Chilton,

Thanks for the reply. Tried that. It seems LW 9.3 is seeing my windows lock ID and not my Mac lock ID. I was using LW on the Vista side using Boot Camp with this dongle, but am hoping to keep things in the mac world for workflow with Final Cut and Shake.

Any suggestions on how to get 9.3 to find the correct (OSX) lock ID.

Thanks Chilton!

Larry

Chilton
09-10-2007, 06:42 PM
Hi Larry,

When you start up LightWave, it should show you a Hardware Lock ID number if you have the dongle plugged in. If that is the same as your Windows Lock ID, just use your Windows license.key. That should work.

-Chilton

LastofTheLarrys
09-11-2007, 12:14 AM
Hey Chilton,

Didn't like the PC key either, but went back to the OSX key and tried different text formats and found one it liked.

Problem solved.

Thanks!

Larry

Nigel Baker
09-11-2007, 01:19 AM
Hello All,

Is it possible to install the UB version of 9.3 on a regular older version of a G5 Tower. I have downloaded the 9.3 UB and
draged and dropped the application into the folder. If I click on the LightWave icon — the software starts up but nothing happens.
The icon is jumping up in the dock but in the force quit section it will show that Modeller or Layout is not responding.

Anyone else having this issue or is the UB not for the older G5 Mac.
Running on OS X 10.4.10

I am running LightWave 9.3 Power PC version.
Any help or pointers here would be great,

Regards,
Nigel.

Lightwolf
09-11-2007, 02:47 AM
I've got the UB running on a G4 mini... so it should certainly run on your G5.

Cheers,
Mike

Nigel Baker
09-11-2007, 02:51 AM
Hello LightWolf,

Thanks for the reply.
Is your Mac mini got an Intel chip or is it one of the originals?

This is what I am confused about I thought a UB would work on the olde mac and the New Intel Chip G5.

But from the very begining of the UB LW 9 I can never get it to work on my Mac.

Thanks,
Regards,
Nigel.

Lightwolf
09-11-2007, 02:58 AM
Is your Mac mini got an Intel chip or is it one of the originals?

Unless the G4 is from intel it would be a PPC ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Nigel Baker
09-11-2007, 03:01 AM
Hello Lightwolf,

Thats great, at least that is now cleared up.
Appreciate the extra posting.
Just not sure what to do now. But will keep pluggin away.

Maybe someone else had a similar issue and resolved it.

Thanks again,
Regards,
Nigel.

Glendalough
09-11-2007, 05:35 AM
Hello Lightwolf,

Thats great, at least that is now cleared up.
Appreciate the extra posting.
Just not sure what to do now. But will keep pluggin away.

Maybe someone else had a similar issue and resolved it.

Thanks again,
Regards,
Nigel.

Hi Nigel,

The UB 9.3 runs fine on the G5, maybe a bit better than the 9.2 PPC version. (Mac 10.4.7 here)

Nigel Baker
09-11-2007, 05:39 AM
Well Hello There,

Thanks Glendalough.
How are you keeping?

It just wont work on this machine for some weird reason.

Regards )
Nigel.

Chilton
09-11-2007, 05:50 AM
Hi Nigel,

Hello All,

Is it possible to install the UB version of 9.3 on a regular older version of a G5 Tower.

We should be able to figure out what is happening. The UB was tested on more G5 systems than any other single type of Macintosh. If you open Console.app when it starts up, does it say anything?

-Chilton

Nigel Baker
09-11-2007, 05:57 AM
Hello Chilton,

Thanks for that, powering up in a moment with a Crash report, soon. ;)

Regards,
Nigel.

Nigel Baker
09-11-2007, 06:03 AM
Hello again Chilton,

Where exactly should I be looking.
Since I have to force quit LightWave I dont get the crash report
and Console has many areas in it. Where should I look.

By the way Modeler is on but I have the spinning Pizza wheel, as normal.
Is it an issue to have the PPC version of 9.3 in the same Applications folder?

Thanks again,
Nigel.

Glendalough
09-11-2007, 07:01 AM
Hello Nigel,

Everything fine here. If this is what you mean about applications folder, this all works okay on this machine.

Nigel Baker
09-11-2007, 07:09 AM
Thanks Glendalough,

Yes that is what I meant. If I have two copies of LightWave 9.2 and 9.3 in the PPC version. LightWave will not work unless I compress one or bin and trash one. Was just wondering if the same issue occurred with the PPC and the UB version of LightWave.

Good to hear all is well, will talk soon.

Regards,
Nigel.

Chilton
09-11-2007, 07:33 AM
Hi Nigel,

Hello again Chilton,

Where exactly should I be looking.
Since I have to force quit LightWave I dont get the crash report
and Console has many areas in it. Where should I look.

By the way Modeler is on but I have the spinning Pizza wheel, as normal.
Is it an issue to have the PPC version of 9.3 in the same Applications folder?

Thanks again,
Nigel.

There's no problem with them being in the Apps folder together, but you can't run Modeler from the CFM version and Layout from the UB version at the same time.

-Chilton

Nigel Baker
09-11-2007, 07:36 AM
Hello Chilton,

Thanks, Yes I gather that.
I am not doing that.
Where can I send you a crash log for the UB layout.
I am also receiving a message saying —*" Can't open message table"

Regards,
Nigel

Chilton
09-11-2007, 08:35 AM
Hi Nigel,

Send it to [email protected] or [email protected]

Additionally, if you wouldn't mind, this might help...

Open Terminal.app
1) type 'cd' and a space...

cd

2) drag and drop the folder that contains Layout into the terminal window.

3) hit the returnkey

-- The commandline should echo back something that looks like the path to your folder.

4) Type the following (the l's are lower case 'L's)

ls -lR

That will list every file in every folder and subfolder in whatever folder you initially changed directories to (in this case, the one that encloses the LightWave apps themselves). Copy and paste that into the email to me as well.

Thanks!
-Chilton

Nigel Baker
09-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Hello Chilton,

Thanks for that the files are on its way.

Kind Regards,
Nigel.

Archigram
09-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Reading the above made me hesitate to try installing the UB version. But it works fine, thanks to info I found in this thread. The problem is that NT makes no effort to explain that installation will require rebuilding your license.key file and placing it in a new place. (A simple readme file would sure help, since the Enter Lock Code module isn't up and runnning.)
So again:
in your user/lib/pref/LightWave3D folder (which you must create) place your already-acquired license #in a plain text file called license.key. That worked for me.

Nigel Baker
09-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Hello David,

Thanks for that.
I have that part already covered.
I am hoping Chilton will spot something in the cras logs.

Regards,
Nigel.

Chilton
09-12-2007, 12:42 PM
Hi Nigel,

Bad news: In the specific case you sent me, it's not a bug in our code, it's a known bug in MacOSX 10.4.10.

Good news: We will have a workaround in the next version, which will be out soon.

-Chilton

Nigel Baker
09-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Hello Chilton,

Wow thats great,
Thanks 256 characters long ;)
I really appreciate your time you have taken here Chilton.
Realy appreciated.

At least I know I am not going insane.

Regards,
Nigel.

Chilton
09-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Hi Nigel,

Actually, it is starting to look like this is not happening in our code at all, because the debug symbols for whatever is calling StandardAlert are stripped out (and we don't do that with LightWave). Possibly a third party plug-in? Are you using any third party plug-ins, at this time?

If so, send me their names privately (I'm not trying to embarrass anyone here), and I'll contact their developers with some code to help work around this issue.

Thanks,
-Chilton

jjuneau
09-17-2007, 05:38 PM
I bought Lightwave 9.3 specifically so I could use it on my intel mac, I am another unfortunate customer that is getting the error message in reference to the license.

I've put the license.key in the share support folder, even put it in another folder in the Library that someone had mentioned.. Both locations don't work and neither does Lightwave..

I have the dongle inserted and I know Lightwave works with version 9.2.. But the second I install 9.3 it gives me the dirty ol' license problem.. You sure you guys beta tested this thing??

Chilton
09-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Hi,
You might have a different issue than most of the other users here.

Are you using the Japanese version of LightWave?

Make sure the file you're saving is a text file, and not an RTF file.

-Chilton

Dreamer
09-21-2007, 09:35 AM
I just tried to install UB on a new MacBookPro. I did everything suggested in this thread. License.key in the library/prefs, dongle inserted, frameworks in the LightWave folder. The help
/ enter unlock code shows; unknown command "Generic_makelicense". I've tried two diferrent License keys.
Any other ideas?
MacBookPro 2 g/ram 10.4.10

Chilton
09-21-2007, 01:23 PM
Hi,

Try moving the license.key file into SharedSupport folder in the LightWave folder next to the apps. It *will* find it there. If it does not, something else is wrong.

Make sure it's named 'license.key', not 'license.key.txt', etc.

If it does not work, post the error it's giving you, and we can help you figure it out from there.

-Chilton