PDA

View Full Version : reflection looks odd...

cmc3502
08-12-2007, 03:23 PM
so I'm testing surfaces to make this car rim look "silver"... but I'm having some weird things happening with my surface... I've tried changing the amount of smoothing, but cant fix the problem...

Silkrooster
08-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Hmmm.... I am no expert as texturing is concerned. But it looks like your highlights are being blown out. This can happen when using area lights that are set too high. This can happen when using radiosity with high values.
As for the gray portion of the rim, it looks like it does not have anything to reflect. As for the portion you circled, I beleive that is a reflection of the rim parts that are outside the rim(don't recall what they are called:twak: )

Try reducing the amount of reflection and give your rim something else to reflect. What you could try is create a poly behind the camera and apply an hdr image onto it.
I hope this helps,
Silk

voriax
08-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Took me like a minute to realise it was facing down and to the right, not up and to the left.

I'm still confused as to why it looks the way it looks - hard to be sure on a small pic. Can you get a closeup of the affected areas?
If you've got reflection set high, turn the diffuse channel down quite a bit.

Silkrooster
08-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Good point, Having reflection without reducing the diffusion would also make it look blown out. Its best to keep the total of both values at 100%, therefore if reflection is 90% then diffusion will be 10%.
Silk