PDA

View Full Version : ClayMation combat

Sensei
08-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Hello!

I just found it on the net.. Wondering how long it took to make such anim.. and it's 20 FPS! :)
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/498915/clay_combat/

Best Regards!

SplineGod
08-12-2007, 01:37 PM
MUCH longer then it would take with 3d software :)

omeone
08-13-2007, 07:31 AM
... shows the lack of self-confidence CGI now and then has.

nah... it's about anti-trendwhoreism ;)

pooby
08-13-2007, 09:05 AM
MUCH longer then it would take with 3d software

I'd like to see someone attempt that end bit in 3d software. It'd take forever.

This Isn't animated at 20 fps, it may be played back at that rate, but it looks about 12 fps.

It's funny how people think of the stopframe look as if its a style. It's not a style, it's just a result of the technique.
You can get the look of good stopframe by animating at 12 Fps and not letting the computer interpolate the splines too much. Adding jitter just makes it look like bad stopframe, (Most stopframe IS bad, including the example above. It's very diffficult to do well)
I'm currently doing some fake stopframe for an Aardman animations project.
I used to be a stop motion animation director at Aardman animations, so I'm very familiar with the technique. And one thing I can say about it is that it's a pain in the @ss to do. But very satifying when you do a good shot.

cresshead
08-13-2007, 10:06 AM
yup aardman are brilliant at stop motion....i've thought about having a go then took another look at the behind the scenes from those films and thought...naahh i need 3-4 years to get 2mins done!.....now where's that mo cap file??!!!

we have it SO easy in comparison...in stop motion you do get some freebies...realistic lighting is one...

calilifestyle
08-13-2007, 11:38 AM
MUCH longer then it would take with 3d software :)
Not if you use lightwave's ik booster lol

pooby
08-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Yeah. Infinite bounce GI is a bonus, plus zero rendertimes, however slaving away under baking hot lights and totally linear animation with no undo isn't so good.

omeone
08-14-2007, 05:54 AM
:thumbsup:

Regarding style/technique: You're right - even more ridiculous to try to copy the result of a technique by using a different one, isn't it? :D

Greets.
Oliver.

Not always, you have to try things, sometimes you might 'accident' upon something new or interesting.

Alright you need your Scope to allow that, and you wont get that from a commission that has specifically requested 'stop-motion style'.

Trying to clone something exactly is tedious, so I wouldn't blame anyone for trying something new providing the Scope allows it.

steve0077
08-14-2007, 06:06 AM
I can see it on the horizon. I'm waiting for that new plugin EasyClaymation.