PDA

View Full Version : Worley's G2

IMI
08-12-2007, 09:29 AM
Hello. :)
I was reading a bit about Worley's G2 shader and was wondering, how many of you are using it with LW 9 or 9.2? Does it run well with 9.2?
Also, has LW 9.0/9.2's node system made G2 obsolete, meaning is there any advantage of G2 over LW's new materials?
I'm just considering purchasing it, and was hoping for some feedback from some people who are actually using it.
Thanks. :)

(Cross-posted in the 9.2 Discussion section)

Carm3D
08-12-2007, 04:06 PM
I have G2. Kinda stopped using it since 9.0 came out. It works with it just fine tho.

nemac4
08-12-2007, 04:18 PM
I have G2. Kinda stopped using it since 9.0 came out. It works with it just fine tho.
FPrime3 64bit pretty much ended the need for G2 for me, however I do use it once in a while in 32bit LW.

Chris S. (Fez)
08-12-2007, 05:37 PM
There is a rumored to be a nodal G2 on the horizon.

dwburman
08-12-2007, 05:45 PM
I have G2 but primarily used it for previewing lighting changes. When FPrime came out, I stopped using it. I never really used the surfacing functions on a consistent basis. My workflow needs might be different from yours though. You may simply use Lightwave more than I do. It wouldn't take much :)

IMI
08-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the input. :)
I'm not concerned so much about G2 as a previewer, but I like some of the images I've seen made with its shaders. They claim it's relatively easy to get good SSS with it, which, I have to say is causing me inordinate difficulty in LW 9.2.
I'm just concerned about whether or not it actually brings anything to the table that can't be done with LW 9.2 and FPrime.

Mr Rid
08-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Am suddenly reminded of an obscure problem I encountered with G2 and HD when I last used them in LW 7.5. There used to be some LW experimental feature that affected rendering that I can not now remember the name of and was not in the documentation, but it was sometimes accidently enabled by pressing some combo of... some key along with the F key, that would make weird little white dots appear in G2 or Instance renders. Anyone know what I am talking about? Am wondering if it is still lurking in LW. Worley explained what it was in a support call, then I ran into it again with on anotehr project with Instancing and I was the only person that happened to know what the hell was causing it. Oh, what was that damn thing called? I cant find the key combo now in 7.5.