PDA

View Full Version : IK Booster menu dissapears?

Gelon
08-11-2007, 06:28 PM
I've been haviing this problem with IK Booster (which I am learning):

I have a model with some bones in it (a rig) and IK Booser applied to the model. I save the entire scene for later use.

Then I open a new/existing scene and choose 'Load Items From Scene' and load my rigged model.

What I get is the rigged model with IK Booster and everything but when I turn on IK BoostTool I can't see the IK Booster in the bottom of the viewport. This is only in Perspective View. In Front, Left, Top is showes up fine.
If I try to interact with the IK Boost Menu i Perspective View I get the usual feedback. It is there but it is invisible.
It is pretty hard to drag a certain amount of keyframes on an invisible timeline.

I hope you get the basic idea of my problem.

Has anyone else had this problem or can anyone replicate it?
Even better: Has anyone got a solution? :)

omeone
08-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Seen it once or twice, seems to have gone away lately though - Mac or PC? LW version?

Ony thing I can say for now is that the IKB bottom menu should have nothing to do with the viewport, it just sits atop the timeline (if you split the viewport into 4 panes, you won't get an IKB menu per pane)

Try rolling-up and down the dope-track, make sure one bone is selected and IKB active.

Gelon
08-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Hi omeone

System:
I'm running LW 9.2 on a PC (3.00Ghz, 3GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 6700 XL).

Your'e right, IKB bottom menu should have nothing to do with the viewport.

But it is a semi transparent menu that overlaps the viewport or viewports.
And the best way to describe my problem is that whenever the IK bottom menu overlaps the Perspective Viewport it turns invisible. I can stíll click it but I can't see it.

In Multiple Viewport state I can have half the IK Boost menu become invisible because that half is overlapping the Perspective Viewport. How weird is that?

I have tried rooling up'n down the dope track (and made sure IK active and 1 bone selected).
I have also recreated the problem again and again without exeption.

This is most frustrating :(

Can anyone else plese try and replicate this:

1. Load an object in Layout. It can be a simple box (any basic obj or lwo).

2. Go to properties and add IKBooster to the object.

3. You can now press Ctrl-b to activate OKBoost and see the menu right above the timeline.

4. Save the scene. Open a new scene or Clear scene.

5. Choose Load Items From Scene and load the object from your scene.

6. Press Ctrl-b to activate IKBooster again and see if the IKBoost bottem menu is visible when you are in the Perspective Vieport.

And please let me know if you see it or not. Thanks

(sorry for the bit for bit tutorial - trying to be accurate)

omeone
08-12-2007, 03:48 AM
And please let me know if you see it or not. Thanks

(sorry for the bit for bit tutorial - trying to be accurate)

not at all! best way to get it accross - and yes I have seen it before, but not in a long time, and I can't reproduce it now.

seems it is a graphics/display issue, have you tried adjusting LW's general display options? then try the system's display options.

It has all the markings of a bug. If you register for the open beta, you can access the bug reporting and mangement tools (FogBugz). Also download the latest Release Candidate where it might be fixed already. There were other parts of IKB broken in the 9.2 release for PC - which made that release impossible to use. But they were fixed straight away.

omeone
08-12-2007, 03:52 AM
btw, was just looking at your old post about mirroring hierarchies - did you get that sorted?

Gelon
08-12-2007, 10:41 AM
btw, was just looking at your old post about mirroring hierarchies - did you get that sorted?

Yes and no. I think I understand the problem better hehe.
It has to do with the 'Setting copy from'.
As far as I understand it it copies the settings directly from one joint to another.
What this means is that in forward/backward-situations it works fine but in left/right-situations you get a copy rather than a mirror-copy of the settings.

So a left knee constrained to only bend back will work fine on the right knee.
A left hip constrained to only swing left (swinging the left foot in a left+up curve) will make the right hip swing the same way (both legs constrained to swing left instead of left leg swing left and right leg swing right).

I think I see why this is working as it does. Mayby in the future there will be a 'Setting copy and mirror from'.

But I'm happy with it. Now I copy and the manually change the values. I just didn't understand at first.
I have seen another thread about this where the solution was likewise to manually correct unmirrored values:
'The heading and bank limits should be reversed in the other side, so
-21, 34 would become -34,21 limits.'
(Dodgy said this)

omeone
08-12-2007, 10:50 AM
yep, that's about the height of it. It is wrong IMO, but at least it's not a production killer. Probably yet another very big source of confusion for beginners though :(

Gelon
08-14-2007, 12:25 PM
To omeone

I registered for the Open Beta and have just run the latest (or next latest) version.

And indeed this problem has been fixed. :)

Very nice. And thanks for the great feedback man.
Keep up the nobel work

omeone
08-14-2007, 02:55 PM
cool :thumbsup: