PDA

View Full Version : Siggraph07

pixeltek
08-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Hi

For personal reasons I did just a one-day dash to the show this year. It's definitely not enough, but there is always next year (in LA). The real annoyance was some old harridan and a couple of flunkies running around the show floor telling a sizable international crowd to not take pictures. Sure, that went over well. I was berated twice, but went right on shooting. But it cramped my style and made me feel uncomfortable. Their job would not have been one to enjoy. In spite of my outrage, I felt a bit sorry for them. It must have been like being given a couple of pots and pans and being told to divert Niagra Falls.

Newtek was there in force, as usual, although there were a lot of new faces there. The backside of the booth, in past years densely staffed, was a little bare, but keep in mind, I was there on the first day only, and things change.

What I did like about the presentations that I happen to sit in on was the Jason McKinley, who single-handedly started History Channel's 'Dogfights' special feature. I've watched that for some time, and wondered if Lightwave was used. Totally, and will continue. He had nearly his whole team there, most of them DAVE School grads, BTW.

Another pleasant surprise was Tom Grimes, who went over some of his character rigging details. They were even giving some of his DVDs away. I missed out on that. He was a little 'underwhelmed' by the less exuberant crowd, in comparison to the crowds at Comicon, where he was on stage last. No surprise there.

The last presentation was one that I had not at all expected: Taron. If you don't know his work, do check it out. He drew quite a crowd. In fact, my first stop at Sig07 was the Gnomon booth, where I had pruchased his DVD on Organic Modeling, which is incidentally the on LW DVD at Gnomon. Later I posed the question about a follow-on, and he is certain that he will have at least one more. He also routinely now uses Zbrush in his tool kit.

He was not at all what I expected, after having seen his imagery for years. He is a nice, funny, extremely talented and friendly individual. He is also a demon of a modeler. Watching him create a complete character head from a box in something like 16 minutes was a trip. He was giggling and laughing to himself while he spun and whirled and formed the mesh as if he were shaping wet clay. Amazing.

http://www.taron.de/

I had a lengthy chat with the e-on (Vue 6) people, and they are fearing that a buyout may happen. The company is wildly successful, now with even Lucas Arts on board, and that kinds of success attracts the big money.

The pixologic booth was typically jam-packed, and I got some good ZBrush3 info from them, since I found myself kind of stuck in a little project right now.

For all of you who are interested, Disney is on a hiring spree. Even I was approached. It might be worth looking into to. Same of course, as every year, Lucas Arts.

A single day is short, but I managed to do what I had planned, and see the people I had intended to see. Way too short, but nonetheless a day well spent.

A few pictures are here: http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/
Please click on the little Siggraph2007 animated banner.

Karl

JeffrySG
08-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Karl, Thanks for the rundown of your day at SIGGRAPH07... I didn't make it this year but it's nice to read your experience there and look at your great pics! Thanks for sharing!! It makes me miss it even more!

cheers!

Nicolas Jordan
08-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Thanks, this makes waiting for Newtek to upload the videos from Siggraph a little more bearable.

hazmat777
08-10-2007, 06:32 PM
Thanks for making your photos available! :)

pixym
08-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Thanks you very much :thumbsup:

jasonwestmas
08-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Nice thanks! I wish I was as open to Newtekkers back when I went to sig back in '04. Well here's hoping for next year.

Danic101
08-10-2007, 08:05 PM
The NewTek Booth was great! I really enjoyed the dogfight demo and the Guardian Demo. Grams demo was boring.

This was my favorite picture the lovely Shay and Irene.
http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/Sig07/pages/Newtek%20Sirens.htm

Gaze
08-10-2007, 08:56 PM
OMG...I'm an idiot.

Siggraph venue is like 10 mins. from my house this year. This, I guess, made me lax about getting down there for the show.

Something came up on Mon. then Tues., etc. Thursday was going to be the day, but a tree unexpectedly fell in front of my house and I had to tend to that. For some reason I thought the show ran all this week and procrastinated until today! Guess what...to my surprise the show ended yesterday! so no show for me. Sniff sniff. Ugh, I actually wasted my pre-paid ticket.

Hey, Captain Obvious, did you make the trip afterall?

G-Man
08-10-2007, 10:01 PM
I had a nearly 7 hour round trip plane ride sitting in a cramped chair with babies crying and Siggraph is 10 minutes from you and you missed it!!!! OMG

cresshead
08-10-2007, 10:27 PM
great piks...how'd you manage to keep the autodesk booth out of your lens! [i heard it was Huge]

Nemoid
08-11-2007, 12:03 AM
thanx for the report , and the pics are great ! especially
the Taron made in 16 mins creature hehehehe
he's an insanely fast modeler.:D

Matt
08-11-2007, 01:17 AM
I really don't understand the no photo rule, it's a public exhibition, what's the ruling on this? Are they trying to make it so the only way to see anything SIGGRAPH is to actually go? Some of use can't afford a plane ticket to go to a CG show!

I think they only hurt themselves by doing this.

I mean, even art galleries with priceless works allow you to take pictures, so long as you turn the flash off, at least that makes sense as you could damage the paintings, but what's SIGGRAPH's excuse?

Phil
08-11-2007, 01:56 AM
Terrorism? It's the usual excuse these days

Darth Mole
08-11-2007, 02:01 AM
Great report and pics - thanks! (Nice to see my work colleagues in the shot of the Future ladies!). Will have to do SIGGRAPH - one day.

inquisitive
08-11-2007, 04:35 AM
looks like the site is down bummer, i didnt get to see the pics

Steamthrower
08-11-2007, 06:18 AM
I really don't understand the no photo rule, it's a public exhibition, what's the ruling on this?

I was at the Frankfurt Light+Building Fair last year and the same injunction
was laid upon us. You still saw people doing it though.

The reason for the rule? Because people will take pictures of emerging technologies and take them back home to copy them.

The people who kept taking pictures? Chinese guys in business suits, who would email the pictures back to Shanghai, and they probably had a cheap prototype ready within a month.

Titus
08-11-2007, 09:39 AM
I really don't understand the no photo rule, it's a public exhibition, what's the ruling on this? Are they trying to make it so the only way to see anything SIGGRAPH is to actually go? Some of use can't afford a plane ticket to go to a CG show!

I attended as media and had a special permit for taking images, there are some explicit rules on when a were we can do it. We can't take pictures (in theory) if the exhibitor explicitly doesn't allow it, this rule was enforced 10 years ago but now with digital cameras everywere and even on phones is hard to do it.

Titus
08-11-2007, 09:51 AM
And no, is not a public exhibition. You have to register to enter and by doing so you agree with their rules. Many companies will not show their internal workings if this is not taken carefuly. Where else you can see how this stuff is made?

just as an example. A thread was removed here when I announced something about LW a couple of days before SIGGRAPH, this was something I received from NT as media but not in the form as a press release. Companies want to have control over their IP and marketing strategies.

Matt
08-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Have to say, the Chinese are ruthless when it comes to nicking ideas, so I understand that much!

pixeltek
08-11-2007, 09:15 PM
First of all, thanks for all of the replies. :thumbsup:

I wish I had more to share, but, hey, a single day beats nothing at all.
I even had Newtek raffle off my Electronic Theatre ticket that I had purchased at pre-registration. I just couldn't let it expire or toss it.

Gaze, you ought be severely punished - shame on you, and the entrance was free for you, courtesy of Newtek or any number of exhibitors. Well, next year you'll have to drive all the way to LA. Hope you'll manage.

Inquisitive - site down? I know I was fiddling with it, adding comments (when you mouse-over), but that should not take the site down.

Cresshead - that booth was indeed big and right by one of the entrances. It you didn't look around, you might have thought that WAS the expo. Just kidding, but with all of the companies they have sucked up, you can imagine the crowds.

G-Man: I got up at 0330 in Sacramento to catch a 0530 flight to SFO, from there a flight (40 agonizing minutes delayed) to SD (SAN). By the time I hit my apartment, it was almost 0100 on the 8th. A very long day.

inigo07 - everyone kept taking pictures. In the past, I remember, they made only the Emerging Technologies section off limits for photography, and I can live with that. At least that makes sense. Not at all for the rest of the public exhibition area. People fly in from all over the world to take memories home and for some this will be a once-in-a-lifetime trip.

Karl

pixeltek
08-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Titus - you have a point, although that had been only applied in the past to the Emerging tech area. All of the other booths show you what you can see in their openly available brochures or their official websites.

As for your experience with NT's stuff. They won't let you steal their thunder, because they will be the ones to make those announcements during formal press briefings at the show at special meetings, and later through their newletter (and/or right here) to the rest of us.

I certainly can understand that.

Karl

pixeltek
08-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Titus - you have a point, although that had been only applied in the past to the Emerging tech area. All of the other booths show you what you can see in their openly available brochures or their official websites. With all of the, what's commonly referred to as 'industrial espionage' they'd be fools to show stuff they don't want to be seen, on an exhibition floor, surrounded by competitors, and by tons of people with cameras. Many of my pics were taken without flash, so few, if any noticed what I was doing, and I'm an amateur. The pros all would get their stuff and more. So, no sale there, Titus. However the kids who desing their hearts out for the Emerging Tech displays don't have that kind of sophistication (secure labs etc) and there the 'no pictures rule' should be strictly enforced for their protection, IMO.

As for your experience with NT's stuff. Sure, they won't let you steal their thunder, because they will be the ones to make those announcements during formal press briefings at the show at special gatherings, and later through their newletter (and/or right here) to the rest of us.

I certainly can understand that.

Karl

pixeltek
08-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Oops!

Titus
08-11-2007, 10:03 PM
The issue (not really an issue, it was just an example) with NT was that I received more than 50 press releases the prior week and was too much information for me to process at the moment. I do CG for a living and this media thing as a hobbie then NT sent me a press invitation announcing LW 9.3, it wasn't a press release and thought naively I could gather LW information for this forum and start revealing as it was coming, along with images, photos and videos. Then understood I don't have the need to do this stuff, there is people being paid for the work.

pixeltek
08-12-2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks for clarifying that. Yes, I can see the position you found yourself in. Still, I think what I said was correct and NT wants to be the official originator of all information pertaining to new and planned releases to the public at large (us). :)

pixeltek
08-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Meanwhile, I added a couple of images and captions to all of the images.

Not a LW issue, but maybe someone here knows an answer:
I am using PS CS3. When I call up the Web Photo Gallery function
File>Automate>Web Photo Gallery, I do not get an Options Button that would allow me to change the image size etc. The odd thing is that the help file discusses all the Options Button can do for me, except there is no Options Button.

Must be something that I am doing wrong. Any ideas? I hate to contact India, which Adobe switched to recently for their technical assistance.

Karl

pixeltek
08-13-2007, 09:33 AM
Disregard. I've got the answer to the Web Gallery Problem.

Karl

pixeltek
08-14-2007, 09:41 AM
Now I have larger images (800x) posted and used the Adobe Flash gallery style option - which looks nice and works well, but now have lost the ability to add comments.
Sigh!
Maybe I am just dumb as a fencepost?
:stumped:

Karl