PDA

View Full Version : m$ Surface makes a huge splash at Siggraph 2007

redlum
08-09-2007, 03:14 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/dmazanec/s2007/P8060143.jpg

Russel
08-09-2007, 06:59 PM
I saw a demo for Surface a few weeks ago... pretty sweet and lot's 'o cool graphic potential. Costs a mint though from what I hear... typical for emerging tech.

Apple's iphone is like a mini portable version graphic-wise. :D

beverins
08-10-2007, 08:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqp39GVnnvE

From what I'm seeing here, its exactly the same as the tech from MIT from last year's Siggraph. All M$ did was buy it from MIT and then called it their own. Not even a credit to the original scientist. How typical.

redlum
08-10-2007, 08:52 AM
Too bad there wasn't anyone there to demo the thing.

LW_Will
08-11-2007, 04:02 AM
I saw the rig being demoed on thursday of the event... I must say, I wasn't impressed as a device. It was more of a "proof of concept".

I think that the worst part is that the Surface interface (!) was a layer on Vista. It was sluggish in the applications like ordering food. It was relatively quick on the detecting the person's card, which showed him all his favorites, but not on the sending the data, even if it was to a nonexistent kitchen.

They were talking about it eventually becoming a working piece of display for different uses (presumably in the home) but the demonstrator said that the current unit had to be as large as it is (about 24" from the ground) because that is the "throw distance" the DLP projectors required.

Well... 10 out of 10 for style, about nil for applications...

R Haseltine
08-11-2007, 07:46 AM
It struck me as very like the interfaces used in one of Melissa Scott's books - I wonder if SF novels count as "prior art" :D ?

hrgiger
08-11-2007, 08:31 AM
They were talking about it eventually becoming a working piece of display for different uses (presumably in the home) but the demonstrator said that the current unit had to be as large as it is (about 24" from the ground) because that is the "throw distance" the DLP projectors required.

Yes, and portable telephones used to be the size of suitcases. This thing is still in beta after all...

I see this kind of interaction as well as voice recognition being the near future of computing interaction. Someone has to step up to the plate first as far as coming to market...and they always have their critics.

avkills
08-11-2007, 04:17 PM
Yes, and portable telephones used to be the size of suitcases. This thing is still in beta after all...

I see this kind of interaction as well as voice recognition being the near future of computing interaction. Someone has to step up to the plate first as far as coming to market...and they always have their critics.

Someone already stepped up to the plate. Apple. The iPhone is completely driven by a touch interface; although there are a few tactile controls also. It actually works very well, as I have one (no not for fanboy reasons, I replaced my crappy Sony Ericsson phone and my 1st gen iPod).

Although I will say that the Microsoft demos of their thing are pretty cool; but Apple could probably release something that does the same thing in less than a year that was quasi affordable and actually worked fast.

-mark

cresshead
08-11-2007, 09:12 PM
did you see that apple have filed for a patent on a 'touch strip' for a laptop pc this week?

hrgiger
08-12-2007, 01:15 AM
Someone already stepped up to the plate. Apple. The iPhone is completely driven by a touch interface; although there are a few tactile controls also. It actually works very well, as I have one (no not for fanboy reasons, I replaced my crappy Sony Ericsson phone and my 1st gen iPod).

Surface is more then just a touch interface. I think that's rather oversimplifying what MS has done.

Although I will say that the Microsoft demos of their thing are pretty cool; but Apple could probably release something that does the same thing in less than a year that was quasi affordable and actually worked fast.

Oh yes, because that's what Apple is about is making quasi affordable hardware. A gimmicky phone that costs $500 and up :screwy:

Signal to Noise
08-12-2007, 01:43 AM
Too bad there wasn't anyone there to demo the thing.

Probably due to a Windows crash.

Lamont
08-12-2007, 01:56 AM
Oh yes, because that's what Apple is about is making quasi affordable hardware. A gimmicky phone that costs $500 and up :screwy:The iPhone wasn't the first phone to launch at $500+. When my phone first came out in the States 1.5 years ago, it was $600 w/out a plan. It only made press because it's Apple. Had any other company did it, it would have been a ho-hum and only the enthusiasts would have gotten it.

MS Surface would be awesome wall mounted.

Beau_M
08-12-2007, 02:46 AM
Hey, that photo you included looks like the MS call center whenever I call them for tech support! Noone's ever there.

avkills
08-13-2007, 12:17 PM
Surface is more then just a touch interface. I think that's rather oversimplifying what MS has done.

Oh yes, because that's what Apple is about is making quasi affordable hardware. A gimmicky phone that costs $500 and up :screwy:

Well the gimmicks actually work, so I don't how to respond really. The only thing on it that is pointless is the camera and the notes; really any camera phone is worthless.

-mark

Thalaxis
08-13-2007, 01:40 PM
Well the gimmicks actually work, so I don't how to respond really. The only thing on it that is pointless is the camera and the notes; really any camera phone is worthless.

They don't reduce the $500 price tag.

avkills
08-13-2007, 01:53 PM
They don't reduce the $500 price tag.

True, but everything Apple claimed it does, it actually does it and quite well I might add.

-mark

Signal to Noise
08-13-2007, 01:57 PM
True, but everything Apple claimed it does, it actually does it and quite well I might add.

-mark

Until it's activated into the AT&T network I've heard. ;)

I used AT&T as my carrier when I was on assignment in the states. They're terrible.

Thalaxis
08-13-2007, 02:01 PM

That's still irrelevant to those who can't afford to pay $500 for a cell phone.

LW_Will
08-13-2007, 03:59 PM
While paying $12,000 for a pac man table that can run some interface things OVER Vista is perfectly okay...

Thalaxis
08-14-2007, 08:35 AM
While paying $12,000 for a pac man table that can run some interface things OVER Vista is perfectly okay...

Your response indicates that you entirely missed the point.