PDA

View Full Version : VT(3) Freezes Alot

harpert
08-08-2007, 08:39 AM
While clicking on just about anything while editing or sometimes just moving the mouse pointer, VT(3) freezes up. It sometimes lags and is not as responsive as it used to be. I suspect I may have to remove the VT(3) software and re-install it or is there another problem? I don't want to do any VT software installing until I put together a faster PC and install VT(5).

SBowie
08-08-2007, 08:42 AM
More often than not, this sort of issue arises as a result of having the nVidia Desktop Manager enabled ... this is a no-no.

harpert
08-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have a 5200 nVidia card. I'll check that setting out.

wess
08-08-2007, 10:23 PM
What type of file are you editing? I have had similar problems with DV Type - 1 files. Once I converted the file to a Type - 2, the problem went away.

harpert
08-15-2007, 03:55 PM
I'm batch capturing my miniDV files using Scenalyzer Live. I can write Type 1 or 2 files although I've never specified which type. I've been using it for about 4 years and didn't start having the intermittent freezing problem until a few months ago. I disabled the nVidia Desktop Manager and I continue to have the freezing problem. My VT(3) is also slower now too.

edmellnik
08-23-2007, 06:03 PM
While clicking on just about anything while editing or sometimes just moving the mouse pointer, VT(3) freezes up. It sometimes lags and is not as responsive as it used to be. I suspect I may have to remove the VT(3) software and re-install it or is there another problem? I don't want to do any VT software installing until I put together a faster PC and install VT(5).

I had that problem for years...it followed me from VT3 to VT4. Then about 6 months ago the Power supply died.
Since I have replaced the power supply it has not froze once.
ed

harpert
08-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Possible degradation (assuming that was happening prior to complete failure of the power supply) of the output voltages to the motherboard caused the problem?

edmellnik
08-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Possible degradation (assuming that was happening prior to complete failure of the power supply) of the output voltages to the motherboard caused the problem?

Power supplies are not always black and white.
If the supply is not hefty enough its dragging down
the voltage and also a power supply can be noisy and
filter capacitors can get old making the voltage less
filtered....on and on... who knows. I am just happy its gone.

tfrank
08-24-2007, 10:55 AM
From my experiences with system freeze ups...I also had an issue with a failing power supply...then we had a problem because the system was hooked up to our intranet. What was going on was that in the background the central server and software was reaching out to see who was on the system. This "hand shaking" would cause the VT system to freeze up. I've also experienced system freezes due to not waiting for external drives to catch up to my mouse actions when pulling certain clips into VTedit and in certain manipulations once they were in VTedit. There a couple of other things to possibly check...including disk fragmentation and the general health of your drive/drives.