PDA

View Full Version : Newtek releases LW9.3!!!

Snosrap
08-07-2007, 08:46 PM
http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/08-07-07a.html

Thanks Newtek keep up the good work!!!

Snosrap

SolSpur
08-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Any idea when it will be available? :)

Matt
08-07-2007, 09:35 PM
I wish the 'My Downloads' page was clearer actually, and it should be updated as soon as these announcements are made, otherwise it just confuses people.

Wickster
08-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Any idea when it will be available? :)
I'm guessing after SIGGRAPH when the chaos of the show dies down and everyone gets back to their normal way of life...in front of their computers :D

Mike_RB
08-07-2007, 10:43 PM
According to that press release it will be available by the 11th of august.

vadermanchild
08-07-2007, 10:44 PM
Is there a full feature list?

What Ive seen written so far frm Newtek seems a little LITE.

Trulsi
08-08-2007, 01:22 AM
Is there a full feature list?

What Ive seen written so far frm Newtek seems a little LITE.

I wouldn't say... It is a point update, and who knows what those sdk and script-enhancements are...

vadermanchild
08-08-2007, 01:38 AM
Hopefully as you say some unseen enhancements will offer some satisfaction down the road.

The most noteworthy update I read was the single sided area lights which I appreciate. I am hoping for better handling of large number of polys and workflow enhancements to light exclussions.

I think I best be satisfied with the single sided area lights as I doubt I getting what I need with this update.

Trulsi
08-08-2007, 01:40 AM
At least it shows that lightwave is still being developed:)

cagey5
08-08-2007, 01:46 AM
I think after the length of time it took to get 9.2 out of the door we can expect smaller, more easily digestible nibbles that arrive that bit quicker, similar to this 9.3 release. So if this doesn't deliver what you were waiting for then hopefully the next won't be far behind.

*Pete*
08-08-2007, 01:54 AM
cagey5: i think the same.

smaller but more frequent steps will get us just as far as long but slow steps...

for those of us under NDA, it is difficult to say anything worthwhile without risking lawyers after us heheheh

but as far as i can see, 9,3 is not a dissapointment....some well needed improvements and features are made, even if not as much as it was for 9.2 (but 9.2 was a 2 point upgrade, 9.3 is a one point upgrade)

ufo3d
08-08-2007, 02:22 AM
it is very funny that some 9.2 users don't know anything about 9.3, anyone who have 9.2 should have right to access beta forum, right?:hey:

BeeVee
08-08-2007, 02:26 AM
Not if they downloaded 9.2 when it was publicly available (from 27 April 07)

B

cagey5
08-08-2007, 02:28 AM
it is very funny that some 9.2 users don't know anything about 9.3, anyone who have 9.2 should have right to access beta forum, right?:hey:

But, yes, as I understand it anyone with 9.2 can apply to be part of the beta program. It is an opt in scheme though, nothing happens by default.

Matt
08-08-2007, 03:35 AM
According to that press release it will be available by the 11th of august.

I missed that bit, my bad!

*Pete*
08-08-2007, 03:38 AM
Im mostly awaiting the start of 9.4 beta testing :)

every new beta posted is like christmas again.

Matt
08-08-2007, 04:24 AM
Have to say, at this rate we'll be up to v10 pretty soon, where the BIG changes will hopefully take place!

Hmmmmmm v10, vX :D

alvin_cgi
08-08-2007, 04:32 AM
I hopes FPrime3 work fine in 9.3... anyone test it yet?:)

Matt
08-08-2007, 04:58 AM
I hopes FPrime3 work fine in 9.3... anyone test it yet?:)

It works, but some features won't look the same until Worley updates FPrime, specifically, the volume stack and the preprocessor for Sigma2.

Weetos
08-08-2007, 05:12 AM
Yes Matt!
I'm still looking forward to the time LW will look somewhat like your vX suggestions...

I'm looking forward to it too ! this would be a great step forward concerning the design, since the LW8 *cough* marvelous *cough* interface :devil:

Matt
08-08-2007, 05:24 AM
As far as I know, the UI will be addressed, but have no idea when / how much etc. I'm just speculating!

;)

Andyjaggy
08-08-2007, 08:10 AM

Well if you are like me you got tired of checking every other day to see if there was anything new and finally gave up looking.

jameswillmott
08-08-2007, 08:19 AM
It works, but some features won't look the same until Worley updates FPrime, specifically, the volume stack and the preprocessor for Sigma2.

I don't see how a preprocessor could work with FPrime, when would it perform it's preprocessing? It would completely lose it's interactivity if it had to pause to preprocess at all.

voriax
08-08-2007, 07:30 PM
It wouldn't do the preprocessing, it would just be like the other material nodes - mimicking the LW node's final output.

Matt
08-08-2007, 08:13 PM
Yep, as voriax said, it would have to do it's own version of preprocessing, well, it wouldn't actually be preprocessing, because that's not how FPrime works, Worley will just have to have to write a faster version of his Sigma clone!

grn
08-09-2007, 12:02 AM
There's plenty of critical features missing from the Modeler; UV unwrapping tools & GLSL bump/normal map support. GLSL performance is generally pretty poor. Could use a stable multishift tool (crashes with complex selections) and useable rounder tool so that it could be used with all kinds of poly selections. Modeler project autosave feature to the HUB. NURBS support for complex polygons.

Could also use some brush modelling/texturing tools, but they can wait.

colkai
08-09-2007, 03:00 AM
I'm assuming Modeller will have the development sights trained on it in the next point or so. Leastways, I hope so because, as you say, there is a lot of work to be done.

For me, long before added features, it needs consolidation, enhancement and workflow changes to many tools.
Case in point, right now, to get something to move on an axis or by normal, you use Translate Plus and jump through hoops to make it work, which it then "forgets" in the next use.

Compare that to the old 3rd party plugins Normal Rotate and Normal Move, which just plain work, easy to use, select geometry and go. Interactivity is also a key thing.
I've a list as long as my arm of things I'd like to see "fixed", improved and added. I sincerely hope that I get to see at least 75% of them in modeller by the end of the 9.X cycle as I really do think modeller will show it's age rather badly if they are not there.
Why, because cheap and free software already have a lot of them and for LW to stand up alongside other modellers now, it would look rather silly if it didn't.

Ahem, oh dear, sorry, whinging over with, I return you to your normal broadcast. :p :)

Andyjaggy
08-09-2007, 08:21 AM
Yes many of us are very unhappy with modeler at the moment and are sitting around tapping our fingers. Waiting. Waiting. Waiting.....................

On a positive note though we finally got our single sided area lights! Thats the first step to a new and needed lighting system.

adamredwoods
08-09-2007, 12:14 PM
New scripting/SDK commands? I'm attentive...
Anyone have a list?

Andyjaggy
08-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Anyone have a list?

you'll want to check in the open beta forum.

paul summers
08-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Waiting for 301 :agree:

Nemoid
08-09-2007, 01:52 PM
it i fun to hear many users whine about modeler, but not about no animation enhancements in layout?
after all you can model ,as in previous vsions of the app, but doing heavy CA in LW has always been hard in LW and nothing changed in the comparment sice ages?

Andyjaggy
08-09-2007, 02:11 PM
it i fun to hear many users whine about modeler, but not about no animation enhancements in layout?
after all you can model ,as in previous vsions of the app, but doing heavy CA in LW has always been hard in LW and nothing changed in the comparment sice ages?

This is just a guess but I think most serious animators have probably allready jumped ship. So we are left with modelers who are now getting ready to do the same and are hoping for some changes soon. In other words more people are currently using LW for modeling right now then animation. Just a guess?

T-Light
08-09-2007, 02:23 PM
Snosrap -

Newtek releases LW9.3!!!
From a positive note (Wayhey) we go into the er...extraordinarily negative? what happened here?

9.4 or probably 9.5 has the CA improvements, leave this chaps, there's a lot of blue sky out there and you're all making this look very dim. Jay'll have a handle on this, look at 9.2. They have plans, obvious, so why the grim face?

Cageman
08-09-2007, 02:25 PM
In other words more people are currently using LW for modeling right now then animation. Just a guess?

I would guess renderer is the most used asset in LW these days....

Andyjaggy
08-09-2007, 02:35 PM
The improvements to surfacing and rendering have been awesome. Still not perfect but a big step forward. It's just all us modelers are getting tired of waiting. I think. I really can't wait to see what they have up their sleeves for modeler. I get giddy just thinking about it.

vashts
08-09-2007, 03:01 PM
you'll want to check in the open beta forum.
it is enough looking in the developers section of lightwave website.

vashts

evenflcw
08-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Anyone have a list?

Just check the latest sdk. You don't need to be in the beta to do that. They are publicly available. The addition of a gizmo class for Layout looks exciting and could allow better, more flexible and intuitive (animation) controls in the viewports than ever before.

T-Light
08-09-2007, 03:06 PM
AndyJaggy -

The improvements to surfacing and rendering have been awesome. Still not perfect but a big step forward. It's just all us modelers are getting tired of waiting.
I know I'm asking for a kicking and Colkai mentioned some points earlier...but...what is everyone after here?

There's some stuff I'd like to see in Layout but on the modeler side I'm actualy pretty fine at the mo, If the tools won't let me do it, then I'll do it by hand. (Aside from text creation - b*gger that needs an update). The only thing I've seen of late that blows my mind is Zbrush 3 vids, but they're vids, the demos I've seen given by other testers still show it's not as straightforward as it looks.

jin choung
08-09-2007, 03:08 PM
hey chunderburger,

for snapping, you really should try lwcad2... unbelievable. as good as rhino's!

jin

p.s. hey, were you at the newtek presentation on tuesday at siggy? curly hair, glasses? i was wondering if the girl sitting several seats in front of me was you....

T-Light
08-09-2007, 03:22 PM
jin choung -

hey chunderburger,

He's not wrong, I know it's a plug but...
:agree:

inquisitive
08-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Someone should modify the title to "Announced" as opposed to "Released"

i know, i know, the excitement, then we can have an actual "Released" thread when that actually happens. ;)

Wickster
08-09-2007, 03:44 PM
hey chunderburger,

jin

p.s. hey, were you at the newtek presentation on tuesday at siggy? curly hair, glasses? i was wondering if the girl sitting several seats in front of me was you....
You were there Jin? And I know who you were talking about, one of the Dave School students. I was looking for community members too. We all should have been wearing our avatar name tags. I'm gonna iron-on my avatar (noticably huge) on my shirt next time. I was there most of the time on tuesday. (beige Boeing cap).

RedBull
08-09-2007, 04:09 PM
hey chunderburger,

jin

Modo 301 has implemented all of the good snapping tools that LWCAD had bought to LW, yet LW seems to of ignored the idea completely....
I fear 301 will be the end of LW Modeler for me too..

Ztreem
08-09-2007, 04:41 PM
I think it's kind of weak of Newtek to not make any effort to bring snapping to modeler, they just bundle LWcad with their software. Maybe it's coming soon or maybe not...

Andyjaggy
08-09-2007, 06:16 PM
AndyJaggy -

I know I'm asking for a kicking and Colkai mentioned some points earlier...but...what is everyone after here?

There's some stuff I'd like to see in Layout but on the modeler side I'm actualy pretty fine at the mo, If the tools won't let me do it, then I'll do it by hand. (Aside from text creation - b*gger that needs an update). The only thing I've seen of late that blows my mind is Zbrush 3 vids, but they're vids, the demos I've seen given by other testers still show it's not as straightforward as it looks.

Okay you asked for what I want and here it is :)

#1 Speed improvements. I want to be able to edit large poly objects above 100k without modeler grinding to a halt. This is the biggest one for me and if I got nothing more I would be pretty happy.

#2 Better UV tools. The PLG tool are awesome but again if you on a mac what do you do? We need the same functionality that won't have the possibility of not getting updated or breaking in future LW release.

#3 Consolidation and revamping of current tools. for every function in modeler there are about 3 or 4 tools that do pretty much the same thing. Freaking consolidate all the similar tools into 1 usefull tool that will work on points, polys, and edges.

#4 Interactive tools. Tools that remember your last settings. Need I say more.

#5 Fix all the problems with CC's.

#6 Instancing. Not sure if this should go in modeler or Layout. Either way it is a very much needed feature.

#7 Ability to export subpatched UV's. For many things in LW there are great free plugins that will dp what LW fails to do. However I have yet to see one that will let me do this.

#8 Ability to have different shading on background layers. This would make it so much easier to see if the object in your foreground is intersecting with the object in the background.

#9 Snapping of coarse. Come on this is a basic and needed thing here !

And then a whole slew of little tiny things that would just be nice to have. :)
I am sure someone elses list would be very different from my own but there you have it.

Andyjaggy
08-09-2007, 07:28 PM
personally im relying on 3rd party making lw modeler neat.

pictrix, wtools and the 3rd party posse rock. without them lw modeler would have been left behind ages ago

Yes this is becoming the case for me as well. I have noticed lately I am using 3rd party stuff more and more.

-EsHrA-
08-10-2007, 01:42 AM
3rd party saved my *** lotsa times without it i'd ditch lw ages ago.

mlon

Red_Oddity
08-10-2007, 02:56 AM
Problem is, it shouldn't have come to this, when a 3rd party developer quits developing you easily loose 1/4th of your entire tool arsenal when LW is updated, leaving you with a clumsy modeling tool.

Imagine this, how many people would have left LW if Worley never had developed FPrime?
What happens if Worley decides to call it quits, or does what some developers have done in the past, switch to other markets (think Shave and Haircut's Joe Alter)

jin choung
08-10-2007, 03:08 AM
i agree with the criticisms (as you know!) and don't have problems finding fault... but i'm not really all that quick to blame newtek these days.

everything costs money.

and in terms of revenue, i would imagine that they are a bit behind autodesk... dontcha think?

and sure, modo is an up and comer but they don't have to worry about being a real animation app. so smaller purview, less to worry about, faster development.

and unlike many here, COST COUNTS to me.

if it didn't i might've jumped ship simply because of employment considerations.

anyhoo, not everything being suggested is possible strictly from a budget standpoint and i totally get that.

jin

starbase1
08-10-2007, 03:18 AM
Hmmm...

I understand the desire for Layout improvements - Character animators in particular seem universally in need of something better.

But personally from way back in 5.6 when I first tried it, I always found it relatively easy to get layout to do what I want, (though I have enjoyed the cool stuff that's gone in over the years).

In particular when I do use another 3d prog, whether it's poser, vue, xenodream, groboto, etc etc, I always end up looking for a way to get the stuff into LW layout, where I feel in control and able to do quality stuff fast and easily.

In modeller I always get the feeling I am fighting it, or that I am probably using the wrong tool, or "this can't be right".

Nick

Iain
08-10-2007, 03:23 AM
I still find modeler the most intuitive application I use. LWCad and FPrime are great but no use on their own.

I use ADT every day. It costs thousands and is supposed to be up there with the best 2d/3d cad solutions but compared to Modeler+LWCad, it's a turgid mess.

gerry_g
08-10-2007, 03:29 AM
Don't mind LW Modelers short comings too much (even if I do rant from time to time), LW Cad snaps are very good (even if they don't like large amounts of geometry), that said I'm looking forward to trying out Modo's new snaps. Anyway the bottom line is, LW has a full SDK and consequently a very large third-party plug-in scene, Modo has its scripts which can be pretty handy but that's about it

jin choung
08-10-2007, 03:38 AM
Actually they do. Every new release from Luxology is a step more towards becoming a full animation package. 301 brings basic animation and lots of enveloping to many controls.

They are moving with full determination to become a full 3d package. And they're moving quite fast.

well, wherever they're at with the animation, it's not where lw is. moving toward is not "arrived at".

when they reach the same mass as lw, then we can do apples to apples comparison about price vs. performance.

frankly, i'll be interested to see where they can carve a niche for themselves.

their current pricing leads me to believe that they are not interested in being EXTREMELY affordable. they're slightly less than lw now and it's primarily a modeler.

if they become a full fledged animation app and price themselves in the 2k - 5k range.... i dunno.... what're they going to be offering that c4d or even maya doesn't? i guess we'll have to wait and see.

jin

archijam
08-10-2007, 04:23 AM
Have to admit the fast reflection blurring vid on the 301 site rocks the socks ..

j.

Andyjaggy
08-10-2007, 09:14 AM
I don't agree with the "primarily a modeler" view.

Modo has one of the best looking renderers out there and is widely used for rendering displaced character work and architectural visualization, among many other things. Many designers use it has their main production renderer. There are other, much larger, markets than animation out there. Something that a lot of people fail to realize!

I just want to get the facts straight in this regard, as many people seem to be misinformed and think that animation is the all overshadowing "must have" in the 3d business. If you want to cover all bases, then yes - you have to offer great animation. But it's not a requirement to be succesful in a lot of markets.

I'm a graphics designer for print media, I use 3d but I don't do animation. There's a ton of graphics designers, illustrators, product designers, architects etc. that use modeling and require great rendering ability from their software, but require little in terms of animation.

As for price, they will charge what people are willing to pay, it's how business works. Apparently they're at their sweet spot where they are selling enough at the price they charge.

Agreed 3D is not only for animation :D It seems that Modo is carving itself a very nice niche in the product viz and illustration market, with an awesome modeler and renderer.

Matt
08-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Actually they do. Every new release from Luxology is a step more towards becoming a full animation package. 301 brings basic animation and lots of enveloping to many controls.

They are moving with full determination to become a full 3d package. And they're moving quite fast.

Scarily fast IMO, NT need to very wary of this, as I'm sure they are.

starbase1
08-10-2007, 10:50 AM
I used to love having access to tons of plug-ins. Not so much any more... Today I tend to focus my attention on the application that offers the best and most complete toolset out of the box. It's dangerous to rely too much on plug-ins, to the point where 50% of your work is done with non-native tools - That break when the core app. is updated, die and dissappear for good etc. etc.

I think I'd go along with that, with a bit of a refinement....

It's dangerous to have core features you need as plugins.

In some ways one of my greatest pleasures is finding something fun but pointless, (I dunno, maybe sphereflake is a good example). It's a good sign of a healthy product in manyt wways that people extend it and add bells and whistles.

But there are plenty, to pick an obvious example, who were more interested in fprime becomeing available foor LW9 than LW9 itself...

Nick

phillydee
08-10-2007, 01:24 PM
I might have missed something by flying through to the last page--but I'm only seeing the download as a beta release... this is dated August 10th... is this still a release candidate? Or is this the 9.3 release? Anyone try it yet?

I'm mainly interested in seeing if 3rd party shader node crashing scenes with HV's in LWSN.exe bug is fixed....

gatz
08-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Yes this is becoming the case for me as well. I have noticed lately I am using 3rd party stuff more and more.

9.2 breaking Pictrix Move is one of the reasons I still model in 9.0. None of my "favorite" bugs were addressed so Modeler 9.2 is all downside. Pictrix's Move, Roll and ReSize are so fundamental they shouldn't even be 3rd party, but that's how NT is playing it. 9.2 Maybe 9.3 will be temping, or maybe the official release of the UB. Maybe that's what the developers are waiting for.

moc
08-11-2007, 05:59 AM
Actualy,That's a v9.2.1...Or a v9.2b...
If those features call a point release....
Then what we will get at the next point release?..
A sigma III?.....An other enchance SSS? Or a much improvement SDK?

And then never care about poor riging processing....
Never care about poor bone realtime transformation....
Never care about modeler tools intergated into layout..
Never care about a CA tools improvement needs....

And we known nothing about the roadmap...
There's some main features at the sigg '05(yes, sigg '05 two years ago!!) still not come true..
When we can /almost see a true reborn LW?

Cageman
08-11-2007, 07:43 AM
Never care about modeler tools intergated into layout..

Hmm.. I think we got an explanation from Jay about what happened with the modeling tools in Layout. But I think it was posted in the Open Beta Forum...

Yog
08-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Hmm.. I think we got an explanation from Jay about what happened with the modeling tools in Layout. But I think it was posted in the Open Beta Forum...So what was the reason ... for us non beta testers.

Anttij77
08-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Yep, as voriax said, it would have to do it's own version of preprocessing, well, it wouldn't actually be preprocessing, because that's not how FPrime works, Worley will just have to have to write a faster version of his Sigma clone!

FPrime doesn't have clones of any of the nodes, it just calls the node evaluation functions via the SDK.

RedBull
08-12-2007, 12:47 AM
So is 9.3 released yet?

The Press Release mentioned 7-11th like it was to be released during Siggraph.

Or was this just a way to make some press coverage at Siggraph, because they had nothing else, or is 9.3 available in my downloads and I'm just not seeing it?

RedBull
08-12-2007, 03:02 AM
Doh, Don't worry got it....

c4eatr
08-12-2007, 03:55 AM
So where did you find it exactly Redbull?

JeffrySG
08-12-2007, 08:32 AM
So where did you find it exactly Redbull?
if you're in the OpenBeta it will be in your "my downloads" area at the top.

If you own v9 you can join the openbeta program...

jeffreywpearson
08-12-2007, 01:24 PM
I found and downloaded it. Even though everything on both the web page and the .dmg file indicates a 9.2 beta version, when I launch the application it does say 9.3 at the top.

My issue is it keeps launching in discovery mode. I don't see a new code on the 'my products' page. Should there be one?

Also, there are a lot of files/folders missing in this dmg file. Is this a complete install and all I need to move is my content/plugins folders or do I need to move erverything over that I dont find? (examples: Dongle Driver,programs,PSFonts folders...)

Jeff Pearson

Trulsi
08-12-2007, 02:11 PM
I got instructions per mail (including serial) and in a readme-file included in the download. I haven't tried to install it yet, so I can't say if the instructions given are sufficient, but if you haven't read them yet, you could have a look:)

starbase1
08-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Is this a beta, or is it not?

PixelDust
08-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Jeff, try using the same key as you used for LW 9.0 (or whatever version you first got of the LW 9 series).

I had a similar problem with 9.2 final because I was putting in the beta key and it would keep starting in Discovery mode.

It's kind of hard to tell which key is which on NT's registration page, but try each one until you get the right one. Good luck!

Trulsi
08-13-2007, 01:47 AM
Is this a beta, or is it not?

The only one I could find was a beta.

toonafish
08-13-2007, 02:07 AM
9.3 already...

All I see is a 9.3 Open Beta release candidate 3 in my downloads folder.

Still not a decent Undo in Layout I see, when is that planned ? After all the character animation improvements are finished...lol....

beverins
08-13-2007, 10:13 AM
I can't get this to work with my registered 9.2 lab-pack license key. I have 20 licenses, and it certainly doesn't work with any of them.

:oye:

monovich
08-15-2007, 11:49 AM
you probably need an open beta license key. check your licenses page

beverins
08-15-2007, 12:13 PM
That's the thing. I have an Open Beta key, but its only for one machine. Calling Newtek results in "we don't support multiple machines for the beta". I dunno if that holds true for other installation sites, but that's their word for the lab here.

I suppose they have their reasons.... :compbeati

At any rate, on their press release they said it was released Aug 11th, and I don't see a 9.3 that I can use on more than one machine. :cry:

steve0077
08-16-2007, 11:53 PM
Just show up in my downloads LW 9.3
Sweeeeet!

DiedonD
08-17-2007, 01:53 AM
Yeah I downlloaded it. But for some reason I cant download the "Whats new guide" !

I dont think its copyrighted or anything so, can someone attach one here for me or whoever cant downloade it also, can read through whats new?

Thanks

Weetos
08-17-2007, 02:41 AM
Yep ! Downloading ... Thanks NT !

Trulsi
08-17-2007, 03:22 AM
Yeah I downlloaded it. But for some reason I cant download the "Whats new guide" !

I dont think its copyrighted or anything so, can someone attach one here for me or whoever cant downloade it also, can read through whats new?

Thanks

I was able to download the WHAT'S NEW GUIDE a few days ago from the beta downloads (capitalized guide so noone thinks I haven't seen that 9.3 final is now available;))

Lewis
08-17-2007, 04:43 AM
Yep - What's NEW doesn't work for me either.

colkai
08-17-2007, 04:54 AM
Likewise, I'm presuming it's the same one that was uploaded the other day though.

Weetos
08-17-2007, 06:18 AM

The provided link is wrong - check your PM

aquinde
08-17-2007, 09:34 AM

Ugh, this is SO typical. Is nobody at NT paying attention?

Lewis
08-17-2007, 09:41 AM
aquinde - I bet they will FIX it pretty soon (if not already) :). Give them (DEV Team) some break, they did good bug squashing session and added load of features in this 9.3 FREE update ;).

starbase1
08-17-2007, 10:02 AM
and added load of features in this 9.3 FREE update ;).

Yes, but what did they add!

frantbk
08-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Scarily fast IMO, NT need to very wary of this, as I'm sure they are.

I agree, Luxology seems to be bleeding their customer base with upgrade after upgrade with the promise of animation. In the last modcast Peebler statement (with much pride) about incorporating Pixar technology into modo, Oooh but it isn't scheduled until after modo 301 for release. Therefore whatever this new technology is nobody will have it until 302 or 401 is release.

That is not fast determination in my book.

aquinde
08-17-2007, 10:43 AM

Exactly. But it looks somebody fixed the link so now we can see what's new. I don't think that expecting the offered documentation to actually be there is too much to ask, whether "free" or not.

Celshader
08-17-2007, 11:24 AM

Here's some of the stuff I noticed:

Edges

Edges now render in the new cameras and work with the new motion blur.
Silhouette Edges, which mark where the surface turns away from the camera, now work on double-sided surfaces as well as single-sided surfaces. Sharp Creases no longer function as Silhouette Edges for double-sided surfaces. This might cause a slight hassle with double-sided legacy assets, however, the new Edge behavior is more logical.
A new "Render Lines" option in the Render Globals panel turns on or off globally the rendering of lines, points, edges, etc.

-+-

Radiosity

Two new options for Radiosity: Use Ambient and Use Directional Rays. "Use Ambient" includes ambient light in radiosity computations. I think "Use Directional Rays" includes rays from reflections/refractions in radiosity computations.

-+-

ShiftCamera

It should be found in the same drop-down list that selects the Perspective, Classic, Orthographic, RealLens, Surface Baker and Advanced Cameras. Like the Orthographic and Classic/Perspective cameras, the ShiftCamera's effects will display in OpenGL as well. Just point and shoot for two-point perspective.

-+-

"Sigma II" and "Fast Skin" Material nodes

These nodes require preprocessing. If the surface using these nodes does not appear in-camera, it will not show the effects of subsurface scattering. If the camera renders a mirror that reflects an object using these nodes, the SigmaII/FastSkin object hidden off-screen will generate a different reflection than it would if it appeared on-screen.

These nodes also do not currently work with FPrime. They render fast and beautiful on their own, though, because of that in-camera preprocessing.

-+-

Single-sided Area Lights

Look for the "2 Sided Area Lights" checkbox in the Render Globals panel.

-+-

Thumbnail Review

Found in the Preferences panel under the "General" tab. Turn it on and do an F10 render. Thumbnails of previous frames will appear in the Render Preview window as your render your scene.

-+-

Volume Stack

This feature eliminates the need for "air polys" in modeling for accurate glass/water/crystal/gemstones. Before, for accurate refractions, you had to spell out that the ray was leaving the material and entering air by creating air polys (doubling your geometry) or wiring a node graph that gave the backfaces of polygons an "air" surface (doubling your hassle in surfacing).

For accurate refractions, use single-sided surfaces and choose your refractive index. During a render, LightWave should now figure out on its own when a ray's leaving the material and entering air or another refractive index, without any additional effort on the part of the artist.

-+-

I'm probably missing a few features, but those are the ones I've noticed so far.

EDIT - sounds like NewTek beat me to it. Cool. :D