PDA

View Full Version : Poser Pro - Full Lightwave integration!

ben martin
08-07-2007, 02:11 PM
This one can be fun! :hey:

http://www.e-frontier.com/go/poserpro
Poser Pro - Full Lightwave integration!
Maybe can be used at some degree! :)

Andyjaggy
08-07-2007, 02:32 PM
It has Collada export................ That sure would be nice to have.

dballesg
08-07-2007, 02:54 PM
HI,

Well they said on the faq that would be an upgrade path from Poser 7, and that you will keep your license of Poser 7 as well. Kinda 2x1! :)

I am only afraid on how much would be the upgrade price! :( But sound a similar product to xStream! :)

Best regards,
David

Paul24
08-07-2007, 05:08 PM
This is a very good News indeed.:)

Digital Hermit
08-08-2007, 01:01 AM
It has Collada export................ That sure would be nice to have.

Daz also has Collada, but not all the morphs you apply are exported from the model... but it's free, so what can I say... In addition, this is their first release with using it, so I think they would improve.

My fear is that I buy the Poser "Pro" upgrade, and get another piece of incomplete software. If they are calling it a "Pro" application... then we should have a detailed list of the capabilities (that we could get excited about) and not general terms before purchase. Honestly, I am weary of E-Frontiers 3D marketing hype... :grumpy:

But if it lives up to being the functional 3D asset it claims, well... then yeah... I am excited about the news, also. :thumbsup:

Red_Oddity
08-08-2007, 02:53 AM
I'm amazed noone has written a Collada writer/parser for LW yet, the documentation is very clear and it is XML based, basically you could even do it with LScript.

safetyman
08-08-2007, 05:32 AM
I've got an old Collada lscript installed, but it doesn't seem to work with 9.2. I haven't tried it with older versions of LW yet. The plugin is a couple of years old, so it may not even work with the new Collada exporters that are out now.

tektonik
08-08-2007, 07:40 AM
this is one of the main problems with lightwave...
we rely too much on 3rd party developpers for industry standard functionality wich leads to lag in developement (and bugs) after each update.

collada support should be developped by newtek and upgraded with each version.

same for openEXR ... do they really need someone else to develop this ? come on...

and i would like to add that they (newtek) owe my ongoing use of this patchwork of a software to fprime... without it i would be long gone... and for animation with parenting and all fprime is full of bugz

Sekhar
08-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Looks like NT is working on a plug...see http://www.osflash.org/pipermail/papervision3d_osflash.org/2007-May/005737.html.

lardbros
09-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Cool... hopefully this is still on its way!! Looking forward to this alot. Shame it's taken them soooo long. How come EVERY other developer has had this option for a while. Surely it would only take a day or three to actually script an exporter??? Hmmmm

meathead
09-12-2007, 09:35 PM
So is this a real reason to finally upgrade my Poser (I am still using Poser v. 5)?

I wish they would develop the character sets. I mean, really, who needs characters that all look like super models?! I need "obese" characters, regular people, with regular body types. Creating them in poser, always leaves odd looking figures.

Paul24
09-13-2007, 04:11 AM
So is this a real reason to finally upgrade my Poser (I am still using Poser v. 5)? I wish they would develop the character sets. I mean, really, who needs characters that all look like super models?! I need "obese" characters, regular people, with regular body types. Creating them in poser, always leaves odd looking figures.

Hi,

You should check Quidam from N-sided..:thumbsup:

3dworks
09-13-2007, 04:22 AM
Hi,

LW export is very good from this one, i can confirm!

markus

v1u1ant
09-13-2007, 04:27 AM
So Collada isnt usable with LW?
Would be really nice to have (as its industry standard) instead of relying on my colleague to use Collada to pass files around between maya and max so i can eventually use them in LW?!?!

SplineGod
09-13-2007, 10:19 AM
The biggest problem with using poser and LW is the ridiculous density of the meshes. You cant use Subds etc etc.
Quidam and the free makehuman are better alternatives IMO.
I would rather have something spit out a model that I can easily tweak in LW.
Ive been using some plugins that allow Poser models/textures/morphs/weight maps/bones/poses/motions to be imported into LW. They work very well. As I said, the ridiculously dense meshes is enough to make importing multiple characters really not fun.

klanderud
09-13-2007, 03:54 PM
The mesh is dense for the purpose of manipulating the model to simulate a wide variety of features, but one could use the low rez daz models of Vicky, Michael, and others then sub-D it for Zbrush style renderings. The low res version is much easier to work with and you will have better results in the Lightwave animation process.

As far as Collada, I have been wining to Newtek for years to make Lightwave Collada capable, with no response.

LW_Will
09-13-2007, 06:31 PM
Yes, SG, but some of the lower res (RR or reduced resolution) meshes are fine, in the lower 40k's, so you CAN use weight map blur, or subds...

But on the poser end, you still can use the abilities of poser, all the assets of Daz and still output it to LW...

So... that was released at the END of October?

SplineGod
09-13-2007, 06:43 PM
To be honest the only asset worth using is just the fact that you can create some kind of characters easily with it. For animation, surfacing, lighting etc its very primitive compared to most other apps. Im taking a much harder look at Quidam and makehuman.

meathead
09-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Hi,

Looks good, but the pricing is rather high for a model creation program. I realize some people out there see these as turnkey character animation programs, but most pro animators just use them as a cheap, fast starting point before we rig, and surface models in a higher end, complete 3D package like LW.

Is the standalone application enough? Is the low poly plugin necessary? I imagine the LW plugin is prob worth it too?!?

Standalone app : $270
LPA plgin $408
LW plugin $102

Wow. $780 for a "better" Poser. I believe in paying for good software, really do, but that's steep. Don't you think?