PDA

View Full Version : 1000 objects in layout... better content management please ??

SaturnX
08-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Hi
Im working on a project and it involves shockwave.
Anyway, the scene in layout currently consists of a good 500 objects, 200 lights, 100 cameras... and its growing.
Are there any plugins for Lightwave that can provide much better Grouping/content management within layout ???

I know there is that new 'quick fix' thing in LW9, that allows you to create sets... but its quirky at best, and not very practical.

Is there a special feature im missing in the spreadsheet maybe ?

thanks alot...
Satx

Pavlov
08-07-2007, 04:29 PM
do you use Schematic ? it can help, LW chockes anyway with many item, but schematic is the fastest way to select multiple items.
Just try to select 100 objects in spreadsheet and then in schematic and you'll see a huge speed difference.

Paolo

SaturnX
08-08-2007, 03:46 AM
Schematic View !
... i forgot about Schematic View!
I'm so used to using that with IK stuff... it never even dawned on me that hey... i could use this for general purpose aswell!
duh.

thanks Pavlov.

It would be nice to see content management tackled though, in a future LW release. Evolution since v6 on this issue has been slow...

Matt
08-08-2007, 04:19 AM
I agree, if it were up to me, I'd merge the best features of the Scene Editor and Dope Sheet into one slick, well-laid out, speedy Scene Manager.

Then extend the 'Item Select' pop-up window to ALL places where you might access large lists. Consistent, fast workflow.

Pavlov
08-08-2007, 04:43 AM
... i forgot about Schematic View!

Newtek too ;)
It's by far the best management tool we have, probably the only which handles well large selections.
Some say LW selection is still based on stone-age listing methods - dunno if it's the correct term. Schematic for some reasons seems to work better but it's uttely outdated respect other soft's scematics. I already made several feature requests here about this so i wont repeat them, but please make it robust since spreadsheet/scene editor are non viable for large scenes.
Again, please put some care on selection methods to allow speedy selecions from everywhere.

Paolo

Pavlov
08-08-2007, 05:27 AM
yes, but selection speed is unacceptable there.
So i'm forced to use Schematic, which i love because it has one more dimension respect scene editor so i can also organize item visually-spatially. If ony there were some helpers like grid snapping, hiding, grounping, nesting..
I also use Multiedit++, a useful script from D|ver which allows to "listen" to whichever command you use, and "repeat" it on all selected items. it does several things Schematic doesnt do. As example, you can move an item in schematic and "listen" to this action, then apply that same action to 1000 items, and they will be put in same position of first one... manual hide !
It performs all action Lscript can do, so it's way more extended than schematic. Imho NT could implement a similar thing, which allow you to "test" an action on a single item and it it's good, you can apply it to other ones.

Paolo

Stooch
08-08-2007, 10:04 AM
yeah i already said all that i care to about this in the beta forum. basically its unacceptable at this point and all i got in response is "submit a bug report" because apparently NT doesnt know about these issues and needs someone to point it out for them. which kind of scares me. in the end i decided to simply not to bother with lw. if they expect me to submit bug reports to obvious long standing issues then i see it as a way to shift blame (on me).

my solution is simply not to use lw for complex productions. they can sort it out on their own time.