PDA

View Full Version : new imac's today?

cresshead
08-07-2007, 11:45 AM
counting down...the store has gone offline!

....ohhh...can't wait!

byte_fx
08-07-2007, 12:44 PM
umm .... what's the buzz on the new imacs?

Bigger, faster, sexier?

Haven't been following Apple happenings that much lately.

byte_fx

ItsPete
08-07-2007, 12:53 PM
SMALLER, faster sexier... and CHEAPER!!!! Yay!

byte_fx
08-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Never mind.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/08/07/imac/index.php

Adios 17 incher - new case - etc.

Maybe a bit of a price drop as well - don't remember what they were selling for.

byte_fx

ItsPete
08-07-2007, 01:22 PM
yeah the top and bottom are $200ish less. the midrange is the same. a bit more machine on all. would have liked to see a better gpu but it isn't so bad for the price point. overall sounds like a decent home machine for the bucks.

Andyjaggy
08-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Definately a pretty design. I like. I still wouldn't buy a mac though :D

JeffrySG
08-07-2007, 01:53 PM
did you guys see the new keyboards... look very very cool... but seem like they would not be fun to use. hard to tell until you type on it all day long...

Andyjaggy
08-07-2007, 02:00 PM
did you guys see the new keyboards... look very very cool... but seem like they would not be fun to use. hard to tell until you type on it all day long...

That's the thing mac stuff always looks amazing, but sometimes it seems like they pick form over function. Anyway I will shut up now seeing as how I am on the mac forum and don't want to get people mad at me :D

Lightwolf
08-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Darn, I'm still waiting for a mac with a quad core 2 duo.... *hrmph* ... I wonder if you can yank the CPU out of an iMac :D

Cheers,
Mike

jasonwestmas
08-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Man, if all those macs only ran windows it would be a rip off. Well. . .actually. . .speaking as a poorman I guess.

Lightwolf
08-07-2007, 04:04 PM
Man, if all those macs only ran windows it would be a rip off. Well. . .actually. . .speaking as a poorman I guess.
Well, the pricing isn't as bad as it used to be. However, if you want more choice the you're in a hard place, and never, ever buy a larger HD or more RAM from Apple, those must be some of the mos ridiculous prices I've seen for a long time.

The best value for money still seem to be the MacMinis and the highest end MacPro though.

Cheers,
Mike

JeffrySG
08-07-2007, 04:16 PM
They do run windows... :)

JeffrySG
08-07-2007, 04:18 PM
That's the thing mac stuff always looks amazing, but sometimes it seems like they pick form over function. Anyway I will shut up now seeing as how I am on the mac forum and don't want to get people mad at me :D
Well even being a mac die hard... Apple had done some bad things over the years... that dam round mouse they had for the first imacs were the worst things ever... but they looked cute for instance...

but usually most of the stuff works great - both form and function!

jasonwestmas
08-07-2007, 04:22 PM
They do run windows... :)

Oh yes, I'm aware. The only reason I would use a mac is for OSX though.

eidetiken
08-07-2007, 04:50 PM
I'll be getting one of them new keyboards at least. Just bought an IceKey from Macally, really like it, but I'm determined to have a backup keyboard and mouse on hand from now on.

newtekker04
08-07-2007, 05:11 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on the new Ati chip in there (24"), and especially in regards to how it would handle Lightwave? Also, I've never used a computer with a glossy screen. I'm reading through mac forums and ppl and not too keen on them. Any thoughts on that as well? I was waiting for the updated models, now I need advice.:confused:

nthused
08-07-2007, 06:40 PM
WOW. 24", 2.8 Core Duo, and up to a Terrabyte of HD space...Holy Toledo! And those new keyboards look cool.:) The ATIs have worked pretty well with the macs - hopefully these will do likewise.

newtekker04
08-07-2007, 06:55 PM
WOW. 24", 2.8 Core Duo, and up to a Terrabyte of HD space...Holy Toledo! And those new keyboards look cool.:) The ATIs have worked pretty well with the macs - hopefully these will do likewise.

Does that mean the ATI chips handle Lightwave well? Some on forums are saying these cards aren't as good as the Nvidia 7600 GT. As long as it can handle LW ok, I'm happy!:thumbsup:

cresshead
08-07-2007, 07:19 PM
i'd like to understand just how quick the 2.8 core 2 duo extreem is...
what do i get other than 400mhz increase over the non extreem imac 24"?

dsol
08-08-2007, 03:44 AM
i'd like to understand just how quick the 2.8 core 2 duo extreem is...
what do i get other than 400mhz increase over the non extreem imac 24"?

If it's like intel's previous "Extreme" variants it's either got a larger L2 cache, a L3 Cache and/or a faster speed stepping than any of any of the other CPUs in it's family. I'm sure Google can tell you for sure :)

Matt
08-08-2007, 04:15 AM
Check out iMovie '08, looks like they've changed the workflow to work exactly like SpeedEdit.

Not sure if NT patented that, but Steve Jobs talks about some Apple engineer invented it himself! Yeah as if!

The page:
http://www.apple.com/ilife/imovie/#moviemaking

The overview movie:
http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/ap...70807_iref.mov

Apparently, Apple have also patented the 'skimming' feature:
http://www.apple.com/ilife/imovie/#playing

Which SpeedEdit does, okay Apples is a click and drag affair, whereas SpeedEdit is a hover over action, but still, the idea is the same.

Is it just me who is annoyed at this? And I don't even own SpeedEdit!!!

Matt

Lightwolf
08-08-2007, 04:25 AM
Which SpeedEdit does, okay Apples is a click and drag affair, whereas SpeedEdit is a hover over action, but still, the idea is the same.

Well, looking at their description it is nothing new... edit has that as well as the big discreet boxes, and the quantels probably as well.

I'd love to see SE play back the clip in the viewer though and allow for setting in/out on the fly as well.

Is it just me who is annoyed at this? And I don't even own SpeedEdit!!!

Lol, Apple & marketing... ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Matt
08-08-2007, 04:29 AM
Well, looking at their description it is nothing new... edit has that as well as the big discreet boxes, and the quantels probably as well.

I'd love to see SE play back the clip in the viewer though and allow for setting in/out on the fly as well.

Lol, Apple & marketing... ;)

Cheers,
Mike

No but Apple have patented it, how can they when others have been doing it for ages!!!!

I'm more annoyed at the storyboard workflow, that made SpeedEdit unqiue (although it's not just Apple who have nabbed this idea).

And again, Apple are claiming THEY invented it!!!

I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise, THEY invented the GUI didn't they, it wasn't really a bunch of researchers at Xerox PARC at all was it!

:D

Lightwolf
08-08-2007, 04:32 AM
No but Apple have patented it, how can they when others have been doing it for ages!!!!

Easy, the others have to sue Apple on terms of prior art. Either that or you live in a country where software patents do not apply (or are harder to come by).
The patent office does not check for prior art, that is for the courts to decide.

And again, Apple are claiming THEY invented it!!!

Hey, they invented the internet as well! Erm, no, wait, that was Al Gore ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Phil
08-08-2007, 05:23 AM
Phew. The Mac Mini was not killed off after all. I've been on the fence about this for a while and am now glad I waited. I wish that the graphics card had been upgraded, though.

riki
08-08-2007, 06:35 AM
I was more excited about iWorks08. Just hoping their spreadsheet editor is worth the price of admission.

Andyjaggy
08-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Well even being a mac die hard... Apple had done some bad things over the years... that dam round mouse they had for the first imacs were the worst things ever... but they looked cute for instance...

but usually most of the stuff works great - both form and function!

Oh man the round mouse! Probably the worst design in the history of computers.

ingo
08-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Oh man the round mouse! Probably the worst design in the history of computers.

Probably one of the best mice ever, i still have a few of them, although i use a Wacom for ages. Most people don't know how to use it, that was the main problem. But the 24" iMac looks nice, if it only had two core2duo's ;)

dsol
08-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Probably one of the best mice ever, i still have a few of them, although i use a Wacom for ages. Most people don't know how to use it, that was the main problem.
Agreed - I hated it personally until I realised you had to hold it in a completely different way to other mice - not resting the palm of your hand on it, only your fingers. It's actually quite ergonomic. Apple's replacement mice are great though - and rather good at discouraging RSI-inducing finger movements.

But the 24" iMac looks nice, if it only had two core2duo's ;)
I think dual (socket) processors will remain purely part of Apples workstation and server lineup. To be honest that's not really any different from any other PC manufacturer. Quad-core iMacs are likely though (in a single socket design, obviously), which would make for a great cheap mini-workstation in my studio :)

Andyjaggy
08-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Probably one of the best mice ever, i still have a few of them, although i use a Wacom for ages. Most people don't know how to use it, that was the main problem. But the 24" iMac looks nice, if it only had two core2duo's ;)

Apparently I just didn't get it :D to each their own, I prefer something I can wrap my hand around.

toby
08-10-2007, 12:22 AM
Agreed - I hated it personally until I realised you had to hold it in a completely different way to other mice - not resting the palm of your hand on it, only your fingers. It's actually quite ergonomic.
Err, yea, that's the way I held it - you could never rest your fingers, and it was perfectley round; so it would gradually rotate in your grip and you couldn't tell. So you'd slide LEFT and the pointer would go UP. You had to deliberately line it up when ever you grabbed it, and keep an eye on it while you used it. It was stupid!

axaboss
08-10-2007, 09:25 AM
You had to deliberately line it up when ever you grabbed it, and keep an eye on it while you used it. It was stupid!

I discarded an old dysfunctional G3 350MHz Mac that had the stupid keyboard and mouse a couple of days ago. I ripped the cord out and used it as a hockey puck. Piece of crap.