PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a dangling spider

BarkingTreefrog
08-07-2007, 11:08 AM
I need some help.

I'm doing an animation where a spider is dangling from a post and glides down, spinning the thread behind it. I want the thread to move around like it was being moved by a slight breeze.

What would be the best way to set this scene up? Right now the thread and the spider are in different layers. I want to have control of where the spider goes and have the thread follow, but still have an anchor point at the top as well. Any suggestions?

byte_fx
08-07-2007, 12:03 PM
One possible way - at least a tweakable concept.

Place one null at origin - the place it pivots from - of the vertical spider thread.

Place another at the spider's final resting place and aim it at the first null.

Parent the spider to second null and position it on y axis to control it's descent. Use channel follower referencing the pitch and bank of the bottom null times -1 if you don't want the spider to look like it's swinging on a pendulum. Although using a figure like -0.8 as the multiplier would probably look a bit more realistic as it show a bit of sway w/o being a true pendulun motion.

Parent the spider thread to the top null and aim at the bottom null.

Animate the bottom null in the x and z axii.

The spider and the thread should maintain their positional relationship all the way down.

Depending on your requirements you can either scale the thread in length or use am image map to control the visibility as it lengthens.

Anyway - that's one possible way to start playing with the setup.

byte_fx