PDA

View Full Version : lightwave+speededit upgrade deal? [uk]

cresshead
08-07-2007, 05:34 AM
lightwave+speededit upgrade deal? [uk]

will the uk users and of course european users get this deal also?
and will we be in for similar pricing or will we get 'stiffed' with some
nutter changing the dollar sign to a euro plus the 19% tax...

my main Q. can i a user from uk buy this with my credit card over the
net from newtek usa like i was a normal internet customer or are we going to have 'net boarders'

steve g

cresshead
08-07-2007, 06:11 AM
well when i buy from amazon.com [not co.uk] it's just the dollar figure which works out nice with the current exchange rate. [dollar/sterling]

Medi8or
08-07-2007, 06:25 AM
You most likely have to pay taxes (VAT) when doing net commerce with a company in the US. I always have to :(

I always feel a bit miffed when purchasing software from the US. Paying the price in USD + 25% import tax sucks big time! Buying from local resellers is also not an option, because they charge the equivalent of USD+25%, so there's really no benefit to that. Go figure... they obviously don't want the business.You can't blame the 25% VAT (not import tax) on the reseller, can you. Unless they add 25% AND add VAT on top of that...

cresshead
08-07-2007, 08:25 AM
pricing for uk and europe should be in place for tomorrow/thursday over at newtek europe asnd your local reseller such as one video....

just got a call back from the excellent newtek europe phone service
and thanks bee vee for the email reply too.

byte_fx
08-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Every time I see something about the cost of US goods in the UK and Europe I'm reminded of the time I lived in London.

It was several years ago and the exchange rate was hovering around US$2.20 per pound during that time.

Knew about the high import tax but was shocked when I visited the showroom of a US auto dealer to check out the new models firsthand. The sticker price was almost exactly what you'd see if you changed the "$" on the window sticker in a US dealership to the pound symbol.

And nearly all the increase - roughly 98% as I recall - was import tax.

byte_fx

Qexit
08-07-2007, 03:16 PM
Knew about the high import tax but was shocked when I visited the showroom of a US auto dealer to check out the new models firsthand. The sticker price was almost exactly what you'd see if you changed the "$" on the window sticker in a US dealership to the pound symbol.

And nearly all the increase - roughly 98% as I recall - was import tax.

byte_fx...and you believed what a Car Salesman told you ? He was telling you great big porkies. At that time, there was a huge trade in direct importing of cars to the UK because even with the import duty and shipping costs it still worked out you ended up with a massive saving over high street showroom prices. Usually several thousand pounds. I'm afraid the car dealerships were just profiteering along with a lot of other companies who simply changed the dollar symbol to a pound and laughed all the way to the bank with the resultant profit. Just for once, you can't blame the Taxman for this little fiddle :D

byte_fx
08-13-2007, 08:50 PM
No -

but had no reason to doubt it as I had just sold an American car that was not taxed when it entered the country.

The buyer had to pay slughtly more than 96% import tax - I saw the paperwork - to register it legally as she was a UK citizen.

byte_fx

Qexit
08-14-2007, 03:54 AM
No -

but had no reason to doubt it as I had just sold an American car that was not taxed when it entered the country.

The buyer had to pay slughtly more than 96% import tax - I saw the paperwork - to register it legally as she was a UK citizen.

byte_fxFair enough :thumbsup: That doesn't change the annoying fact that buyers here in the UK of a number of products do get seriously ripped off over product mark-ups using the unofficial $1 = 1 exchange rate employed by too many retailers :thumbsdow