PDA

View Full Version : LUXOLOGY vs. NEWTEK

jahumaster
08-07-2007, 05:09 AM
Lightwave vs. Modo,
what do you think about, if you work with both of them ?

Is newtek working on something like painting plugin/module? Or sculpting and painting over mesh?

jan

cresshead
08-07-2007, 05:29 AM
please delete this rubbish thread

jahumaster
08-07-2007, 05:38 AM
:jester:

how i can delete this thread ?

cresshead
08-07-2007, 06:16 AM
you can't delete a thread, only the moderator's can...just let it die a long painful death of ''yet another dodo vs lightsnack'' non productive conversation.

Matt
08-07-2007, 06:21 AM
I agree, nothing good will come from this whatsoever.

Bottom line, Modo has some cool stuff I'd like to see in LW, LW has cool stuff that Modo could use also.

AbnRanger
08-07-2007, 06:48 AM
I agree, nothing good will come from this whatsoever.

Bottom line, Modo has some cool stuff I'd like to see in LW, LW has cool stuff that Modo could use also.
Hey, one is Peanut Butter. the other chocolate. Buy both and you have a Reses peanut butter cup! :D How's that for a comparison?

jasond
08-07-2007, 07:45 AM
Brad looks pretty athletic.

Proton has reach and Chuck could do damage (all those years of restrained, diplomatic posts...).

So far I'd put my money on Newtek, but it's a blind bet without the tale of the tape on the opposition.

prospector
08-07-2007, 07:47 AM
Well, 1 name is shorter so if I were to buy one I'd go with Newtek cuz I just don't have the time to write out the other on my checkbook.

Anti-Distinctly
08-07-2007, 07:57 AM
I haven't seen a pic of Jay Roth...

Saw him at the thingy in London. I think he could hold his own if it came to fisticuffs or a duel or what not.

Edit: Perhaps a joust?

AbnRanger
08-07-2007, 07:58 AM

Proton has reach and Chuck could do damage (all those years of restrained, diplomatic posts...).

So far I'd put my money on Newtek, but it's a blind bet without the tale of the tape on the opposition.But LW's secret weapon....is...THE HAIR! If you have LW and big hair, you are a Jedi Master of the CG realm! :D

Andyjaggy
08-07-2007, 08:52 AM
How could we get the bigwigs at both companies to dual it out in the boxing ring?

AbnRanger
08-07-2007, 08:57 AM
Talk to Jim MacMahan (sp?) of the WWF. He'll flash the cash, and next thing you know...we a got us a 3D Smackdown! Big hair guy vs the Jock :D
I can just see Brad get it in the face with a Wacom tablet!

GregMalick
08-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Lightwave vs. Modo,

Is newtek working on something like painting plugin/module? Or sculpting and painting over mesh?

jan

Well this looks like honest question from someone who might not know the history.

History aside - they are both good apps.
Modo reads/writes LWO's.
The next version of Modo will have some rudimentary animation.
It hasn't been released yet.
The next version will also have "some" mudbox-like tools.

LW also has a good modeler and much more mature animation system.
LW also has a Node texturing system which Modo doesn't.
LW also has FX and HV tools that are not on the horizon for Modo.
Then again real-time UV painting tools are not on the horizon for LW.

Modo procedurals will not work in LW unless you bake them.
LW procedurals won't work in Modo.

Each comes with strengths and weaknesses.

good luck.

Qexit
08-07-2007, 10:35 AM
How could we get the bigwigs at both companies to dual it out in the boxing ring?Dead easy. Just place a large plate of Krispy Kremes in the centre of the ring and tell them 'Winner takes all !' :D

Talk to Jim MacMahan (sp?) of the WWF.I doubt if the Worldwide Fund for Nature would have anything to do with this sort of event.....of course you could be talking about the WWE, that obscure little wrestling organisation who lost the use of the WWF acronym a few years ago following a protracted court battle :D :twak:

Matt
08-07-2007, 11:49 AM

So far I'd put my money on Newtek, but it's a blind bet without the tale of the tape on the opposition.

LOL, don't forget Philip Nelson, I reckon he could kick some *****! :D

Thomas M.
08-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Please! Anybody?! Why is this thread still online? Why not rename this in "Paris Hilton vs Daryl Hannah"? Aargh!!!

gerry_g
08-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Please! Anybody?! Why is this thread still online? Why not rename this in "Paris Hilton vs Daryl Hannah"? Aargh!!!

Well that's interesting, Paris is the young upstart (more style than substance) Daryl the old timer famous from way back is this some kind of metaphor , personally I like both, wish I owned both, but unfortunately only have Lightwave and Modo :-)

Red_Oddity
08-07-2007, 01:30 PM
Sorry..excuse me...coming through...

So...did i mis anything yet?

Steamthrower
08-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Nope. Missed nothing.

Andyjaggy
08-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Well I would rather have a slightly entertaining thread about how Modo compares to Paris then read a thread bickering about why Modo is better then LW or viceversa.

Anti-Distinctly
08-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Luckily, no one seems to be arguing. Probably justbeing too amused by having mental images of staff having a face off a la Gangs of New York :)

frantbk
08-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Lightwave v. Modo,...Sniff, yawn, who cares?

What I want to know is why haven't we had any new videos on Lightwave 9.2?, and what about the new interface for lightwave?,...and what's happening with layout as a modeling enviornment?

Steamthrower
08-07-2007, 02:58 PM
New interface for LW? Why? It's the best in the biz as it is.

Darth Mole
08-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Lightwave v. Modo,...Sniff, yawn, who cares?

What I want to know is why haven't we had any new videos on Lightwave 9.2?, and what about the new interface for lightwave?,...and what's happening with layout as a modeling enviornment?

Yeah, the short burst of videos from Proton has dried up. These were useful and informative. I want more. C'mon NewTek.

Anti-Distinctly
08-07-2007, 04:12 PM
and what about the new interface for lightwave?

What new interface? Seriously dont expect anything to happen on this front for a while.

G3D
08-07-2007, 04:18 PM
What new interface? Seriously dont expect anything to happen on this front for a while.

Maybe 2-3 years ago someone posted some mockups of an interface that had a rounded look a little like XSI has now. Thought it was pretty good. Maybe in a future update it can be an option set via the configs?

scratch33
08-07-2007, 04:19 PM
Hey!!!

Luxology has LUXOLOGY TV

Who make a NEWTEK TV vs LUXOLOGY TV thread ???:D :D :D

Steamthrower
08-07-2007, 04:39 PM
All I ask from NewTek is:

1. A product that enables me to create content that satisfies my clients
2. A product that is mainstream and compatible
3. A product that is stable and cross-platform
4. A product that is mature, steadily updated, and is not archaic
5. A product that comes with good customer service

I get all of this and more with Lightwave. I am happy. Call me a fanboy, call me anything...I just like it when I call NewTek and a friendly guy answers.

Do the developers of, say, Maya really interact with people on forums?

Anti-Distinctly
08-07-2007, 05:26 PM
Maybe 2-3 years ago someone posted some mockups of an interface that had a rounded look a little like XSI has now. Thought it was pretty good. Maybe in a future update it can be an option set via the configs?

Yeah that was Matt on these forums. He did a superb mock up called Lightwave vX or soemthing. But NT have sooooo much other ground to cover. Maybe when all the core code has been rewrittenn after the parallel changeover is complete, unless it becomes evident that it's neccessary during the tool consolidation.

frantbk
08-07-2007, 05:35 PM
About a year, or two ago there was talk about a new interface for lightwave 10. Around that time there was talk about layout being enhanced to do modeling, but nothing has happen, or been said about that since. I wonder if the success of Lightwave 9/9.2 has put all of that on the back burner?

More videos!,...need more videos, newtek is falling behind everyone else on videos.

t4d
08-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Lux Vs NT

Even for me

Both are into hype marketing ( eg talking about stuff WAY before they will be given to the users )

EG- animation for Modo seems as far away as A new animation system for LW
And both LUX and NT fan boys talk as if it's going to be a killer and it's just afew months away....
NT fanboys have talked about those Major underhood Changes that were month away for 3 or 4 years now ... =/

I'm pretty happy with XSI but I have my hand in both LW and Modo becasue they may do it and both have good points, workflow for some tasks .

But I don;t care about dreams untill i can see it and use it...

the marketing in LW 8 was the worst thing I've lived though software wise
Features shown in one light but hid all the limits,.. when we finally got it stuff like IKB were so badly design it took third parties to support them at LW 9 time ??

jasond
08-07-2007, 05:47 PM
(Nope, not gonna take it seriously. Can't... make... me... do... ...it.)

IMI
08-07-2007, 05:51 PM
There's simply no comparison.
Darryl Hannah was far hotter in her prime than Paris Hilton is now. Far as I know, she's still alive, too. I'm not so sure Paris Hilton is still alive, and even if she is, isn't likely to still be another 20 years from now. :D

jasond
08-07-2007, 06:09 PM
There's simply no comparison.
Darryl Hannah was far hotter in her prime than Paris Hilton is now. Far as I know, she's still alive, too. I'm not so sure Paris Hilton is still alive, and even if she is, isn't likely to still be another 20 years from now. :D

And Hannah has gone off the grid with her granola and hemp. In my book that's hotter than the "oopsie" crotch shots from the Hilton goof.

Riff_Masteroff
08-07-2007, 06:32 PM
My cat is hungry. I need to go feed him - not read this thread.

Riff Masteroff

Andyjaggy
08-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Must feed those cats. Feed them lots and often :D

jahumaster
08-08-2007, 12:39 AM
Thank you for constructive answers.

I still believe, the only last thing newteks Lightwave has to have is a Painting and sculpting module. Maybe just simple plugins, helps. Imagine, some simple and stupid programs like Hexagon does Sculpting by brush, and now Poser7 does it.!!!

I know, lightwave modeller is one of the best on this worlds markets.
Personally, i love Lightwave software. I was just asking...

By the way, does anyone have experience working with Poser and LW together on daily basis? We are small team and half of the team is working and animating inside poser. I need good conversion plugin between those 2 apps.

Thank you for any help.
:newtek:
Jan

scratch33
08-08-2007, 01:02 AM
I still believe, the only last thing newteks Lightwave has to have is a Painting and sculpting module. Maybe just simple plugins, helps. Imagine, some simple and stupid programs like Hexagon does Sculpting by brush, and now Poser7 does it.!!!

I know, lightwave modeller is one of the best on this worlds markets.
Personally, i love Lightwave software. I was just asking...

I also love lightwave but I point out to you that certain task are made much more easily on "a stupid program like hexagon" that have some very interactiver and moderner tools. Only to say that yes, modeler is a powerfull tool, but now,
a little relifting can be a very good thing to become a modern tool.

Thomas M.
08-08-2007, 02:31 AM
O.k., boys! Let's stop talking about the little things. We should get back on track and talk about something serious!

Bill Carey
08-08-2007, 03:25 AM
Absolutely, I mean Lindsay Lohan hasn't even been mentioned yet. (Probably, I have to admit I didn't read every post. I did a forum search for Paris Hilton and here I am)

Don't change LW's interface to much! I like words, words are good, clean simple. If they go to one of those icon based interfaces I'll go insane, which is where I was before switching to LW. :lwicon:

Matt
08-08-2007, 03:33 AM
Absolutely, I mean Lindsay Lohan hasn't even been mentioned yet. (Probably, I have to admit I didn't read every post. I did a forum search for Paris Hilton and here I am)

Don't change LW's interface to much! I like words, words are good, clean simple. If they go to one of those icon based interfaces I'll go insane, which is where I was before switching to LW. :lwicon:

It could do with a shake up, but I'm certain that will never happen! (Icon based interface that is).

starbase1
08-08-2007, 06:06 AM

Alelujah! Down with blobs on knobs!
:agree: :agree: :agree:

Hipcheck
08-08-2007, 06:22 AM
Yes, stick with words! Icons = bad!

Oh, and btw add Britney + Lindsay + Paris together and thats not even close to any era of Heather Locklear.

Steamthrower
08-08-2007, 06:26 AM
Hilton, Lohan, and the rest are all so weird I wonder sometimes if any "normal" people are in the movies nowadays.

frantbk
08-08-2007, 07:20 AM
It could do with a shake up, but I'm certain that will never happen! (Icon based interface that is).

I liked the clean lines of Lightwave vX. More importantly I'd like to see more consolidation of functions into logical groupings. Lightwave's edge beveling could use work, but a Icon based interface? I don't think it is really necessary, modo, Cinema 4D, Max and Maya have Icons which waste screen space.

Jim_C
08-08-2007, 08:27 AM
And Hannah has gone off the grid with her granola and hemp.

Kill Bill.....???

She was one bad a$$ed, single eye, sword waving, sensei killing, snake toting broad.
She looked awesome and had the body to match.

Thalaxis
08-08-2007, 08:34 AM
I don't think it is really necessary, modo, Cinema 4D, Max and Maya have Icons which waste screen space.

I don't think there's a significant difference in space, because you have short, wide rectangles in LW compared to taller but less wide squares in Modo, Cinema, Max, etc. However, I find the text-based buttons easier to locate and identify than the icon-based ones, which gives LightWave a usability edge for me. I also find that because a lot of the buttons include the shortcut, learning the shortcuts is a lot easier with LightWave than with other packages, where you have to hover the mouse over the button to see the hotkey as part of a tooltip, for example.

So for me, that's +2 for text buttons vs icon buttons.

Stooch
08-08-2007, 09:27 AM
Lightwave vs. Modo,

jan

get the demos of both and compare them yourself. hopefully that will prevent another stupid question in the future.

Stooch
08-08-2007, 09:30 AM
LW also has a good modeler and much more mature animation system.

HAHAHHAHAHA. for animating logos, sure.

Matt
08-08-2007, 12:20 PM
I liked the clean lines of Lightwave vX. More importantly I'd like to see more consolidation of functions into logical groupings. Lightwave's edge beveling could use work, but a Icon based interface? I don't think it is really necessary, modo, Cinema 4D, Max and Maya have Icons which waste screen space.

Thx!

I believe Modo and C4D can switch to text only interfaces, can't speak for 3DS Max or Maya (wouldn't want to either!)

AbnRanger
08-08-2007, 01:08 PM
HAHAHHAHAHA. for animating logos, sure.uhhh...Stooch...he was talking in comparison to Modo 301. Not Maya.
Still a class act aren't you?

Stooch
08-08-2007, 01:14 PM
uhhh...Stooch...he was talking in comparison to Modo 301. Not Maya.
Still a class act aren't you?

i will never change to suit you. just keep that in mind, it will save you the effort next time.

as far as your maya comment. its irrelevant. what are you trying to say?

lw was made to animate logos, hence it never really got the CA tools animators needed. hopefully modo will build a proper foundation for proper CA. instead of having the un enviable job or remodeling that nt is current stuck with.

Steamthrower
08-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Stooch, you state LW was made to animate logos, apparently that's all you view it good for; yet why are you using LW, contributing to a LW forum, and why does your studio (MeniThings I believe) use LW?

AbnRanger
08-08-2007, 01:33 PM
i will never change to suit you. just keep that in mind, it will save you the effort next time.

as far as your maya comment. its irrelevant. what are you trying to say?

lw was made to animate logos, hence it never really got the CA tools animators needed. hopefully modo will build a proper foundation for proper CA. instead of having the un enviable job or remodeling that nt is current stuck with.Like I said, Malicks comments were 100% accurate. LW's animation tools are still, regardless of your opinion, far more advanced than what will appear in Modo 301...and Jay has stated repeatedly that they are working feverishly to improve Layout/Modeler integration and the CA system. He asked for patience. Yet you never miss an opportunity to take a swipe at Newtek. Why are you here, anyway?

It seems you're hellbent:devil: on filling the void oDDity left, as THE forum cynic, that's for sure. Why am I not surprised?
So, you and others have a problem with LW. Why don't you just save YOURSELF some time and go stick your nose under the tent of some Maya forum, where you can shmooze comfortably with those guys...instead of incessantly coming in here an berating Newtek, trying your best to be a trouble-maker. No, you can't do it, can you?

You have to come here and be the chief forum antagonist and cynic. I ask the moderators to keep an eye on this guy, as he constantly breaks forum rules, and is begging to follow oDDity on the way out.

zardrose
08-08-2007, 01:34 PM
LW > Modo

Stooch
08-08-2007, 01:42 PM
Stooch, you state LW was made to animate logos, apparently that's all you view it good for; yet why are you using LW, contributing to a LW forum, and why does your studio (MeniThings I believe) use LW?

because i get paid for it.

i dont have to excuse myself to you now do i?

scratch33
08-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Like I said, Malicks comments were 100% accurate. LW's animation tools are still, regardless of your opinion, far more advanced than what will appear in Modo 301...and Jay has stated repeatedly that they are working feverishly to improve Layout/Modeler integration and the CA system. He asked for patience. Yet you never miss an opportunity to take a swipe at Newtek. Why are you here, anyway?

You have to come here and be the chief forum antagonist and cynic. I ask the moderators to keep an eye on this guy, as he constantly breaks forum rules, and is begging to follow oDDity on the way out.

:agree: :agree: :agree:

Stooch
08-08-2007, 01:44 PM
look at you attacking my personality rather then keeping on topic. you are accusing me of oddity? am i supposed to get upset over that? hah. he is more of an artist then you ever will be. anyway i dont know why you even made that post. its not going to change anything. cry me a river.

Like I said, Malicks comments were 100% accurate. LW's animation tools are still, regardless of your opinion, far more advanced than what will appear in Modo 301...and Jay has stated repeatedly that they are working feverishly to improve Layout/Modeler integration and the CA system. He asked for patience. Yet you never miss an opportunity to take a swipe at Newtek. Why are you here, anyway?

It seems you're hellbent:devil: on filling the void oDDity left, as THE forum cynic, that's for sure. Why am I not surprised?
So, you and others have a problem with LW. Why don't you just save YOURSELF some time and go stick your nose under the tent of some Maya forum, where you can shmooze comfortably with those guys...instead of incessantly coming in here an berating Newtek, trying your best to be a trouble-maker. No, you can't do it, can you?

AbnRanger
08-08-2007, 01:45 PM
No, you don't..but soon, you WILL have to leave this forum...as long as you keep being yourself on here, refusing to show any civility...as forum rules require.

scratch33
08-08-2007, 01:48 PM
he is more of an artist then you ever will be

And because he is a so fantastic artist it his not supposed to respect the others.:confused:

because i get paid for it.

You can sell it and buy modo. And than you can post here the fabulous animation that you have made with it.:D

Stooch
08-08-2007, 01:50 PM
i own modo already. i own lots of software infact. pre ordered 301, cant wait to rock it!

zardrose
08-08-2007, 01:51 PM
LW > Modo

AbnRanger
08-08-2007, 01:51 PM
look at you attacking my personality rather then keeping on topic. you are accusing me of oddity? am i supposed to get upset over that? hah. he is more of an artist then you ever will be. anyway i dont know why you even made that post. its not going to change anything. cry me a river. And just how would you know that? Do you have a crystal ball nest to your monitor?

Once again, blatantly violating forum rules...just as oDDity did.

Stooch
08-08-2007, 01:52 PM
No, you don't..but soon, you WILL have to leave this forum...as long as you keep being yourself on here, refusing to show any civility...as forum rules require.

actually you should read up the forum rules. since you are all about them. i havent broken any. infact if anyone that is engaging in personal attacks its you. I am just stating my opinion on a thread, which happens to be on topic. just because you dont like my opinions, doesnt mean they are against the rules.

you can review my posts in the wip forums you will find that i am always fair and never take it personally. so again, its you that needs to read the rules apparently.

Stooch
08-08-2007, 01:58 PM
i just love it how people ride odditys nutts btw. its great. you guys should join a fan club. i dont agree with his personal attacks but his artistic opinion is actually worth something. as far as personal attacks, you guys should really check yourselves.

cagey5
08-08-2007, 02:09 PM
I've not seen anyone decry Odditys artistic merit, even his detractors recognised that.

Bill Carey
08-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Hilton, Lohan, and the rest are all so weird I wonder sometimes if any "normal" people are in the movies nowadays.

These are grown people who dress up to go out in public and pretend they are someone else. What's normal about that? I figure they are acting out the whims of children and am not surprised when some of them can't turn it off when they get away from the camera. It's our unending fascination with them that amazes me.

I think I'll go twirl a logo now......

Steamthrower
08-08-2007, 03:49 PM
These are grown people who dress up to go out in public and pretend they are someone else. What's normal about that? I figure they are acting out the whims of children and am not surprised when some of them can't turn it off when they get away from the camera. It's our unending fascination with them that amazes me.

I have no fascination with them. When I look at them act/sing I cannot help but compare them to Cary Grant or Grace Kelly or Audrey Hepburn or Gregory Peck.

It's laughable is what it is.

08-08-2007, 04:04 PM
LW > Modo

LW >>> Modo :goodluck:

beverins
08-08-2007, 05:07 PM
All I know is, Newtek needs to do what they need to do to support Crytek's editor for Crysis. Join alliances now, forge them... do whatever it takes. :hijack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slN0QxRm19U&feature=PlayList&p=BE3E2E394B9FE5F5&index=51

Yes, I know this is a optimized game engine, etc etc blah blah blah. All I know is, this render engine is simply amazing... Imagine this in your Layout window. Do what you need to do, Newtek. That's all I can say. LW 10 or 11, fine - but you MUST get something like this to market before Autodesk or Luxology can.

Matt
08-08-2007, 05:52 PM
All I know is, Newtek needs to do what they need to do to support Crytek's editor for Crysis. Join alliances now, forge them... do whatever it takes. :hijack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slN0QxRm19U&feature=PlayList&p=BE3E2E394B9FE5F5&index=51

Yes, I know this is a optimized game engine, etc etc blah blah blah. All I know is, this render engine is simply amazing... Imagine this in your Layout window. Do what you need to do, Newtek. That's all I can say. LW 10 or 11, fine - but you MUST get something like this to market before Autodesk or Luxology can.

HOLY CRAP! That's awesome!

Stooch
08-08-2007, 06:10 PM
yeah give it a few months and autodesk will buy it as well.

cresshead
08-08-2007, 06:23 PM
well autodesk mayhave something already with ''review'' for autodesk 3dsmax 2008

Review
This new toolset gives users immediate feedback on various render settings – enabling them to iterate rapidly so they can hone in on their desired look without the long wait associated with software rendering. Using the latest in game engine technology, it delivers interactive viewport previews of shadows, the 3ds Max sun/sky system, and mental ray Architectural and Design material settings. With this feature, artists and designers can perform real-time shadow studies using the sun/sky and real-time shadow systems, or interactively “present” their work using a combination of Review and viewport navigation.

The specific features that make up Review include:
o Graphics Processing Unit (GPU)-based shadow support – with Review the viewport now supports real-time shadows – including self-shadowing and up to 64 lights simultaneously. All standard lights are supported along with a simple UI to choose which lights are “on”. Users can choose between high-quality per-pixel shadowing and fast shadowing (i.e., good and best modes).
o Sun/Sky workflow support – the 3ds Max sun/sky system lets users create an accurate depiction of the sun and the sky at a specific time and location. With this latest 3ds Max release, design/viz professionals working with the sun/sky system can now interactively preview their settings in the viewport prior to rendering. Reflections are derived from the sun/sky system and automatically mapped onto the surface of shiny objects.
o Support for mental ray Architectural and Design material settings – using Review, architectural and design visualization professionals can now get immediate feedback on some of the common mental ray Architectural and Design materials settings – allowing them to achieve their desired look by way of a fast, efficient, iterative process.

i'd add i've not seen any demos as yet but the idea of the showdowing and self shadowing is quite interesting

IMI
08-08-2007, 07:39 PM
More than just "acting out the whims of children", those people are children, just in adult bodies. They never grew up, and spent the years they should have been developing some degree of maturity, instead surrounded by publicity and a public more than willing to confirm their suspicions that they were, in fact, the center of the universe. And an entourage of Yes People and those who only wanted to cash in on being there and being in control. Not that they don't have a certain responsibility in it, but I do sort of feel sorry for them.

Err, Brittney and Lindsay, not LW or modo, that is. :D

Steamthrower
08-08-2007, 09:10 PM
When playing games such as Far Cry I've often remarked that the CryEngine renders 60 times per second what Maya or LW would be hard pressed to render in a couple minutes.

Interesting concept. I guess that's why so many bored dudes make machinima.

Titus
08-09-2007, 01:26 AM
When playing games such as Far Cry I've often remarked that the CryEngine renders 60 times per second what Maya or LW would be hard pressed to render in a couple minutes..

The guest speaker here at SIGGRAPH tallked abuout this same issue. It was interesting to hear.

Anti-Distinctly
08-09-2007, 05:36 AM
When playing games such as Far Cry I've often remarked that the CryEngine renders 60 times per second what Maya or LW would be hard pressed to render in a couple minutes.

Interesting concept. I guess that's why so many bored dudes make machinima.

I hear that. I saw the Crysis tech demo and nearly cried. I'd been quite happy with one of those frames for a render, but real time...dang.

Matt
08-09-2007, 06:06 AM
Let's not forget that it's the GPU doing most of the work in that demo, but it does beg the question, why is OGL so poor in _many_ apps when this is what is possible!

ivanze
08-09-2007, 07:51 AM
What happened to PIM? It was really very fast.

Steamthrower
08-09-2007, 07:57 AM
Let's not forget that it's the GPU doing most of the work in that demo

Heck, what do I care what renders my frames? GPU or CPU, as long as that beautiful render shows up on my screen, I don't care if my ethernet card renders it!

Andyjaggy
08-09-2007, 08:39 AM
I heard there is a program that will tap into your network and sound card to help render :D for every 10 hours of rendering it cuts off about 3 seconds.

It seems to me that the game engines are very very specialized and fine tuned to do certain things incredibly fast, while they are probably very lacking in other areas.

Thalaxis
08-09-2007, 08:49 AM
It seems to me that the game engines are very very specialized and fine tuned to do certain things incredibly fast, while they are probably very lacking in other areas.

A lot of the expensive stuff like irradiance is probably pre-computed rather than renedered on the fly. They probably also use techniques like ambient occlusion rather than raytracing to approximate their renders.

What they're doing is very impressive, and looks gorgeous, but it's not doing the same thing as a production renderer.

Still, it does look like production and realtime renderers are converging in many ways :)

beverins
08-09-2007, 08:50 AM
Found a part 2 to that tech demo of their editor and game engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1ELRWTXQ1g&feature=PlayList&p=BE3E2E394B9FE5F5&index=53

beverins
08-09-2007, 08:57 AM
To get the "good stuff" like, say, Dielectric, SSS or true Radiosity and Caustics you still have to render (for the time being). But I would be ecstatic if the Layout window was this fast, with this level of texture / shading / lighting approximation as well as realtime dynamic modeling / texture painting like this in Modeler.

Steamthrower
08-09-2007, 09:34 AM
Andy, could you point me to that program? I have this really nice Draft-N WiFi card that, I mean, is *so* powerful, and half the time it's going to waste.

Andyjaggy
08-09-2007, 10:35 AM
A lot of the expensive stuff like irradiance is probably pre-computed rather than renedered on the fly. They probably also use techniques like ambient occlusion rather than raytracing to approximate their renders.

What they're doing is very impressive, and looks gorgeous, but it's not doing the same thing as a production renderer.

Still, it does look like production and realtime renderers are converging in many ways :)

True. That is gorgeous though. The ability to have instant feedback with volumetrics and atmospheres like that would be so amazing. Even if it wasn't production quality imagine how much time you could save by just tweaking it in OGL and then rendering. You would illiminate so many test renders. Anyway keep dreaming right..........

Thalaxis
08-09-2007, 01:01 PM
True. That is gorgeous though. The ability to have instant feedback with volumetrics and atmospheres like that would be so amazing. Even if it wasn't production quality imagine how much time you could save by just tweaking it in OGL and then rendering. You would illiminate so many test renders. Anyway keep dreaming right..........

For now, we do have to keep dreaming. Hopefully, not for too much longer though :)

Even approximated, and lacking the exquisite detail that comes with micropolygon normal-mapped rendering (for example), these realtime renderers are reaching incredible heights.

Sometimes convergence is a good thing :)

Andyjaggy
08-09-2007, 01:59 PM
For now, we do have to keep dreaming. Hopefully, not for too much longer though :)

Even approximated, and lacking the exquisite detail that comes with micropolygon normal-mapped rendering (for example), these realtime renderers are reaching incredible heights.

Sometimes convergence is a good thing :)

Well at LW's pace of developement we will have to wait a long while.

Ooops there I go bashing NT again. Bad Andy.