PDA

View Full Version : I hate it when this happens

OOZZEE
08-06-2007, 01:07 PM
see pricing and availabitily paragraph- someone who upgrades to v9 now gets speedit for free.... I should have waited....

http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/08-06-07a.html

AbnRanger
08-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Instead of them bundling a 3rd Party product, I think this was a smart move by Newtek...helping to build the SpeedEdit Userbase at the same time.

Wickster
08-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Is there a deal for LW9 owners? I could use Speed Edit right about now.

cagey5
08-06-2007, 01:46 PM
How about a second seat at least, for those that have already bought it so I can use it on my laptop as well.

AbnRanger
08-06-2007, 01:57 PM
It says LW owners can purchase the upgrade and get SpeedEdit with it.

cagey5
08-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Yeah, but we dun gawn and upgraded months ago.

OOZZEE
08-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Is there a deal for LW9 owners? I could use Speed Edit right about now.

no mention of any deal anywhere !! the last deal I saw was $200 off SE for current owners of LW....

if NT's goal is to add seats for SE then they should offer this to all LW 9 owners NOW.... honestly what is the difference if they got my money 6 months ago as opposed to having it with a purchase made now? - they are still getting the money no matter what + made interest on it from all of us "faithful/loyal/ready with our wallets as soon as next version is released" buggers.

Keith

AbnRanger
08-06-2007, 02:08 PM
no mention of any deal anywhere !! the last deal I saw was $200 off SE for current owners of LW....

if NT's goal is to add seats for SE then they should offer this to all LW 9 owners NOW.... honestly what is the difference if they got my money 6 months ago as opposed to having it with a purchase made now? - they are still getting the money no matter what + made interest on it from all of us "faithful/loyal/ready with our wallets as soon as next version is released" buggers.

KeithThis whole issue came up when they announced a price drop at Siggraph '05.
Deals like this are aimed at attracting new users and for current users to purchase upgrades.
One day I pay $3.50 for a box of cereal at the grocery, only to see it on sale, the next day, in the paper for $1.99
Do I take back my half used box back to the store for a refund...just so I can get the deal?

cagey5
08-06-2007, 02:20 PM
If you're getting through half a box of cereal in a day then I reckon you should go for the offer and ask if they do discount for bulk purchase at the same time..:)

OOZZEE
08-06-2007, 02:24 PM
One day I pay $3.50 for a box of cereal at the grocery, only to see it on sale, the next day, in the paper for $1.99Do I take back my half used box back to the store for a refund...just so I can get the deal?

.no just the receipt... here in Quebec, we have laws protecting consumers from these sort of things... any price drop within 30 days, you get the difference back.

but hey, I didn't eat my software... so it would only make good business sense on NT behalf to offer this to ALL the users whether you upgraded before OR are willing to upgrade now.... they would have more SE users in the future this way, and less individuals feeling duped. I FEEL DUPED I ADMIT.....

OOZZEE
08-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Yeah, but we dun gawn and upgraded months ago.

begs the question.... should we stay loyal to NT with each upgrade when they don't in return ? hmmmm.

sorry if sounding negative.. but I FEEL DUPED... think I said that already... but I DO !!!!!!

theo
08-06-2007, 02:27 PM
for a box of cereal at the grocery, only to see it on sale, the next day, in the paper for $1.99
Do I take back my half used box back to the store for a refund...just so I can get the deal?

No, but you can regret you didn't wait until the next day to buy your cereal. That is, if the cost of cereal really resonates that deeply with you. :D

OOZZEE
08-06-2007, 02:30 PM
No, but you can regret you didn't wait until the next day to buy your cereal. That is, if the cost of cereal really resonates that deeply with you. :D

also depends if they were offering SPEED EDIT FOR FREE with those kelloggs the next day... then you would feel duped too !!! hehehe

Danic101
08-06-2007, 04:18 PM
When you bought your copy of LW9 did it not come with VUE or the recent training bundle. Why should NewTek give SpeedEDIT to everyone that has ever bought LW9? Your argument makes so sense.

Russel
08-06-2007, 04:43 PM
A simple solution to avoid users from feeling duped or second guessing as to when they should purchase LW is to have multiple choice offers when a purchasing/upgrading cycle begins... and do not change the offers - but rather limit the time for the offers to be in effect... after that, no further offers will exist until the next version upgrade. (i.e. upgrade to LW 9.5 during Oct - Dec 2007 and chose between Tricaster, Educational DVD's, or 3D Arsenal as a free bonus. One free gift per purchase... offer expires on Dec 31... etc.)

This way, they can increase their future user/product base and avoid making users feel like they regretted purchasing when they did.

Adobe did something like this recently with their CS3 upgrades by offering either free fonts or free educational/product training class time with each purchase.

LW_Will
08-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Sounds like I owe NT a hundred bucks and I'll own Speed Edit!

OOZZEE
08-06-2007, 05:12 PM
When you bought your copy of LW9 did it not come with VUE or the recent training bundle. Why should NewTek give SpeedEDIT to everyone that has ever bought LW9? Your argument makes so sense.

wasnt the VUE offer (which I didnt need) with Lw8 ? I honestly cant recall right now. if its with LW9 then sorry - i take back my duped feelings and comments. I really dont remember with which version it was.

anyhow, I do like however Russels suggestion, that the offer should be the same across the board.

Wonderpup
08-06-2007, 05:18 PM
As I'm still waiting for the features I upgraded to 9 to get I have no intention of ever being persuaded to invest in anything but actual working features from now on, whatever the incentive. To some extent I do feel duped- instead of 'deals' I would rather the cash be invested in development.

byte_fx
08-06-2007, 05:25 PM
I'm in sort of a limbo on this.

Have a P.O. number for the upgrade but haven't sent in the dongle (need to upgrade to latest version) or payment yet.

So - do I get the SE with this P.O. or do I cancel the P.O. and re-order in order to get the SE package as well?

Anybody from sales reading this?

byte_fx

ted
08-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Ya know, I see this every time a "special offer" is announced on various software/hardware products.
And even when companies offer a 30 day extention outside the window, somebody still misses it and cries "fowl".
It's a sale for goodness sake.

If Ford offers 0% financing or $2000 off, they don't go outside the offers window. Neither do most companies. NewTek has in the past, but since when is it a RIGHT???
I've missed sales and special offers. No friggin big deal and I DON'T feel dupped. Nor do I whine at the company.

And further more...If NewTek GIVES away a million copies that also would increase the user base! What's this argument about???

Not trying to tick anyone off, but a liitle balance is in order here.

achrystie
08-06-2007, 09:08 PM

I won't rant and rave about not getting VUE or SPEEDEDIT packaged with Lightwave (I bought in "between" these offers), but I do think it would be good business sense to offer a "discounted" version of SPEEDEDIT to current owners along with this new user sale. Really this is not much of a stretch as they have already done this before, so it's already potentially in the business model. Let alone, a half price deal is still netting them more money than bundled FREE with current edition/pricing, so you're pleasing both camps and bringing in more cash by offering deals to NEW and CURRENT users it would seem.

Let alone, I didn't see any current owners in the thread ask for it FREE, as you imply in your post....although I may have missed it.....but I think they just asked for a "discounted" version.

ABC

BeeVee
08-07-2007, 03:17 AM
As will subscribing to newsletters...

B

achrystie
08-07-2007, 05:39 AM
As will subscribing to newsletters...

B

I'm not sure if these last two posts were directed at me, but personally, I knew about the last sale, but wasn't in a position at the time to buy it. That's really irrelevant though.

Regardless of whether or not I need or want to buy speededit, this is not a conversation about when/why should users buy things, it's a discussion of the fact that it would probably make good business sense for Newtek marketing to coincide these types of sales, or make across the board offers to people so it minimizes this type of customer perception, and probably maximizes the amount of money taken in.

ABC

AbnRanger
08-07-2007, 08:11 AM
If you're getting through half a box of cereal in a day then I reckon you should go for the offer and ask if they do discount for bulk purchase at the same time..:)If you have kids...half a box in one day is putting them on a diet.

BeeVee
08-07-2007, 08:19 AM
We have the one. If he ate a whole bowl I'd be happy... :D

B

Exception
08-07-2007, 08:33 AM
BV what's with the new sig? Did you shoot 306 people since january 2004? Quoi?

cresshead
08-07-2007, 08:35 AM
last time newtek offered speed edit it was 'just out'...untried software...now it's been around for a while and is 1.2 i'm more inclined to take another look...thogh reading about the mess of liecencing speed edit i'd need to KNOW that i can install it on my current PC and then be able to move it to my new PC [mac running bootcamp] which i'm buying in a few months time...currently i fear such a thing is not feasable from what i read on the speed edit forum...some clarity would go a long way to pursuade people thinking about a purchase of the speed edit/lw upgrade...and just WHY i can't be tied to the lw dongle i simply fail to see.

OOZZEE
08-07-2007, 09:04 AM
@ted .. ted, sorry but the point you missed is.... what if you bought only three weeks ago and now an offer like this comes out, you're telling me you wouldn't feel a tad annoyed ? c'mon... there is no mention from NT that this offer would extend to you somehow.

the point is the offers should be well thought out and extend to as much people as possible and not make anyone feel regretful for buying earlier.

wouldn't it make more sense for NT to say something like... current owners can still buy for a reduced price in this offer ?

or even better, planned all their offers ahead of time during the same version cycle and not change it until another version comes around as this would allow for all buyers to enjoy the same benefits as everyone else regardless of when you purchased ?

post 24 sums it quite well.

riki
08-07-2007, 09:14 AM
I can understand you feel annoyed but it's always a bit of a game buying software.

SBowie
08-07-2007, 09:15 AM
Here's the thing that baffles me in these situations. Many seem to overlook what must surely be the obvious first step.

If you bought an item very recently, and are disappointed to have barely missed out on a special offer, do you give Sales a chance to work with you to cheer you up before going on a public complaining spree?

Very often some accommodation is made when one asks politely through channels. It is not in the best interests of any business to tick off it's loyal clients. I suspect, however, that (human nature being what it is) once someone begins by airing a perceived grievance widely, a happy resolution may be more difficult to extract.

For me, any tale of woe which does not begin with "I have already approached through channels and been denied what I perceive as a fair resolution" has no standing, and limited chance of success.

byte_fx
08-07-2007, 10:15 AM
On a positive note .....

Apparently someone from sales was reading this and contacted me.

The SpeedEdit bundle has been added to to my open PO.

Actually SpeedEdit is the first upgrade incentive I've really had a need for.

Regarding that - along the lines of comments others have made maybe Newtek could consider offering a couple of either/or options on future incentives. Might make for a better response.

byte_fx

PS - a big "Thank You" to the sales guy that contacted me.

Jirapong
08-07-2007, 05:58 PM
I paid $1200 for LW6.5 bundeld witht Aura 2.0 when it was $2500 at full price. Now Aura was gone.

I paid $395 for e-upgrade of LW9 with nothing bundled.

My guess is Speededit did not do well in the market that was shared by Adobe Premier, Final Cut Pro, Sony Vegas and more. So, I don't hate the special offer because I think SE will not have further any development.

My two cents,

cresshead
08-08-2007, 08:19 AM
newterk europe and one video now have pricing to uk customers for the lw9 upgrade/speededit deal

nice pricing!

colkai
08-08-2007, 08:32 AM
I pre-ordered LW9.
I don't get the option of getting speed-edit.
Mind you, by that same token, I have on my shelf, courtesy of Newtek upgrades, DFX+, Vue 5 Infinite and LWCAD. The latter alone makes me a happy bunny.
Of course, human nature being what it is, everyone wants everything, but I paid for rounder literally just before it got incorporated into LW. Thems the breaks in the software world.

I've yet to wrap my head around DFX+, I'm sure it could be useful with LW for post work but I've just not got into it.

SBowie
08-08-2007, 09:13 AM
So, I don't hate the special offer because I think SE will not have further any development.Not to divert the thread, but while I agree competition is stiff, I can't agree with this conclusion. Time will tell, of course.

Medi8or
08-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Now Aura was gone.Aura is still there, as TVPaint.

http://www.tvpaint.com

Stooch
08-08-2007, 09:24 AM
first people ***** that NT doesn't have enough funds to develop fast enough then they ***** because they want stuff for free. overall though, its all chump change and all the whiners need to accept that this stuff happens all the time, they aren't obligated to give anything to anyone, if they feel like having a sale and you missed the boat then its your problem. If you want to support NT, buy speed edit if you need it. crying about it wont help anyone.

Chris S. (Fez)
08-08-2007, 09:30 AM
first people ***** that NT doesn't have enough funds to develop fast enough then they ***** because they want stuff for free. overall though, its all chump change and all the whiners need to accept that this stuff happens all the time, they aren't obligated to give anything to anyone, if they feel like having a sale and you missed the boat then its your problem. If you want to support NT, buy speed edit if you need it. crying about it wont help anyone.

Maybe a bit harsh but...you speak the truth.

colkai
08-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Aye, less than a subtle way of putting it, but yup, tis the nature of the game.
I'd wager we have all suffered that "if only I'd known" moment in the past having paid for something, only to find either a sweeter deal or that the program gets 'absorbed'.
I even paid for a program, no hint from the developer that he had jsut "given" it to PCFormat and it arrived FREE on the very next months cover CD. I was pretty ticked off then I have to be honest. ;)

Jirapong
08-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Good point!

I don,t need speed edit that while I don't buy it. I upgraded my LW to from 8 to 9 for not using it either. No reason than just support Newtek. Just hobby, no money making works made from LW at all.
It might be called stupid, but not as people who who must rely their payrool on it and afraid the software will be gone one day.

Stooch
08-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Maybe a bit harsh but...you speak the truth.

hey i know its harsh, but someone had to say it, and you know NT are too polite to do it. if anything they will probably go out of their way and hook people up.

Glendalough
08-08-2007, 06:18 PM
hey i know its harsh, but someone had to say it, and you know NT are too polite to do it. if anything they will probably go out of their way and hook people up.

Hi Stooch

You really got your Modo going today!

Stooch
08-08-2007, 07:06 PM
yes well i missed siggraph because of crunch time, so im sitting here playing with my voxels lol.

Glendalough
08-08-2007, 07:15 PM
yes well i missed siggraph because of crunch time, so im sitting here playing with my voxels lol.

Of course siggraph is just next door to you.

It's really the invasion of the Posermen (women) here at the moment.

ted
08-08-2007, 10:23 PM
@ted .. ted, sorry but the point you missed is.... what if you bought only three weeks ago and now an offer like this comes out, you're telling me you wouldn't feel a tad annoyed ? c'mon...

Been there, done that, missed the t-shirt. :D Didn't lose any sleep over it. That's life.
If you really only missed it by 3 weeks, have you tried a FRIENDLY call to NewTek?
I hope all works out for you.

Jirapong
08-08-2007, 11:11 PM
Good marketing, but mean nothing to me.

First, I already upgraded LW9
Second, I am on Mac.
For people who work hard to earn and ran to this kind of situation I feel sorry for them. Everyone deserve to spend their money wisely, but sometime the other situations make someone's earning worse, and get slapped again by the others who care nothing because it not their money.

Jirapong

Russel
08-09-2007, 12:06 AM
...I still think my idea would solve many of the issues here... anyone disagree? (I would enjoy hearing feedback on the idea to see if it is reasonable or unreasonable)

A simple solution to avoid users from feeling duped or second guessing as to when they should purchase LW is to have multiple choice offers when a purchasing/upgrading cycle begins... and do not change the offers - but rather limit the time for the offers to be in effect... after that, no further offers will exist until the next version upgrade. (i.e. upgrade to LW 9.5 during Oct - Dec 2007 and chose between Tricaster, Educational DVD's, or 3D Arsenal as a free bonus. One free gift per purchase... offer expires on Dec 31... etc.)

This way, they can increase their future user/product base and avoid making users feel like they regretted purchasing when they did.

Adobe did something like this recently with their CS3 upgrades by offering either free fonts or free educational/product training class time with each purchase.

BeeVee
08-09-2007, 02:17 AM
Hmm, so the guy who upgraded in September or January wouldn't complain? ;)

B

newsvixen8
08-09-2007, 06:21 AM
I suppose this deal could be looked at in a different way... pay $395, get SpeedEdit for less than its usual price, and get a free chance to upgrade that old educational version lying around... I'm in!:D

OOZZEE
08-09-2007, 09:01 AM
Been there, done that, missed the t-shirt. :D Didn't lose any sleep over it. That's life.
If you really only missed it by 3 weeks, have you tried a FRIENDLY call to NewTek?
I hope all works out for you.

hi ted, the 3wks was an example to make a point.... but it's happened to me many times too... and I don't lose sleep about it either but IF there is a better way to do things for customers, then why not do it.

It's not about whining or crying or b*tching...this is a discussion on making something (that is affecting all of us in someway) better. It would be hypocritical to say that this has not been annoying for oneself at one time or another in our lives coming from any company.

Russel's idea is great and I think it would be beneficial for NT and all LW users to get offers that everyone can get their hands on regardless of when they buy.

NT is often under lots of critism for one subject or another and they should really put an effort to please their customers outright... but hey, they can continue to do what they dang well please too... and that's their right... and discussions like this can continue to appear often here.

OOZZEE
08-09-2007, 09:04 AM
in addition to Russels idea, NT can easily after the deadline re-release the same offer with additional hype to bring in new customers... my 2 cents.