PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop file to lwo

billuke
08-06-2007, 06:54 AM
Is it possible to take a picture ie; psd,jpeg etc and make the image a lwo ?
I'm taking wedding pics,and masking the people to make sort of a 3d image.
I can do it in after effects,but I'm getting so darn spoiled with the Lightwave interface,I dont want to use anything else ! Appreciate any input.

JeffrySG
08-06-2007, 08:21 AM
You could mask the people, convert that into a Path, export the path as an illustrator file, save the illustrator file as an EPS file and import that into modeler to animate, etc...

;)

billuke
08-06-2007, 08:29 AM
Thanks Jeffry,what is a EPS file? You have to excuse me,I,m new at this !

JeffrySG
08-06-2007, 08:43 AM
no problem... EPS - encapsulated postscript file... it's a common format that Adobe Illustrator can export as - and one type of format that LW can import. If you don't have Illustrator you can email me the Path from Photoshop that you export and I can save it as an EPS file for you. You will not be able to do this with Photoshop alone.

billuke
08-06-2007, 08:43 AM
I did this,saved as a EPS file in Illustrator,imported into the EPSF LOADER in lw modeler,and it keeps crashing the program !

JeffrySG
08-06-2007, 08:48 AM
That might have to do with how complex the path is... maybe test it on a very simple path... if it works then, redo your path so it is a bit simpler. Check to see how many points your eps file has in illustrator. Also you can change your settings in LW so it creates less points... that might be in your options window... not sure exactly..

JeffrySG
08-06-2007, 08:49 AM
general options - curve divisions... set to coarse... and try again..

billuke
08-06-2007, 09:22 AM
I'm having a problem with Illustrator,it's loading my psd file from export path,but you can't see it ! if i send you the psd file,can you check it out?

Thanks.Bill

billuke
08-06-2007, 09:25 AM
I'm having a problem with Illustrator,it's loading my psd file from export path,but you can't see it ! if i send you the psd file,can you check it out?

Thanks.Bill

lw is opening that file without crashing,but nothing is there.

JeffrySG
08-06-2007, 09:34 AM
the path is there. you need to do a few things.

release cropmarks... then delete them

then fill the path with black. right now it's no fill no stroke.

try that and let me know... I can take a look if that doesn't work.

billuke
08-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Thanks... I'm going to go thru this again step x step as per your instructions. I can't do it now,but I will post the results later if you can check back.

Thanks again........ Bill

JeffrySG
08-06-2007, 10:01 AM
no problem... :)

billuke
08-06-2007, 12:47 PM
I tried again and I get a flat plane box in lw.no inage at all. I'm tring to download the psd and ai files here ,but it's failing How can I get you the files ?

JeffrySG
08-06-2007, 01:52 PM
PM me and I can give you an email address to send me the files. How big are they, btw?

you might have to zip the files to upload them here... not sure... If they are big you can use yousendit.com too...

billuke
08-06-2007, 02:16 PM
sending the file over to ya , (deannas small edit )is the name.

billuke
08-06-2007, 02:36 PM
Jeffry,I'm also sending the origial un-masked photo.

JeffrySG
08-06-2007, 02:36 PM
I just emailed you a EPS file to try. I would recommend simply tracing the image in LW if the mask is going to be that loose - use one of the curve tools and just hand trace the image placed in the background. You didn't have a path in the PSD file, btw. I just converted your mask into one but it will probably be more accurate to do it by hand.

I hope it works for you though...

cheers!
Jeff

Surrealist.
08-07-2007, 01:13 PM
no problem... EPS - encapsulated postscript file... it's a common format that Adobe Illustrator can export as - and one type of format that LW can import. If you don't have Illustrator you can email me the Path from Photoshop that you export and I can save it as an EPS file for you. You will not be able to do this with Photoshop alone.

In Photoshop:

1) Create path or shape.

2) File/Export/Paths to illustrator.

makes an .ai file of all paths and shapes in file.

This you can import into Modeler via the EPSF loader.

JeffrySG
08-07-2007, 01:50 PM
^it sure does! I would have thought that the crops in the file would get imported but they don't.

Cheers Richard!

billuke
08-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Hey Richard how's it going? You helped me out last time I had a problem,anyway obviously youv'e read this thread.I'm still having no luck with this.I'm doing something wrong in photoshop because when I SAVE PATH TO ILLUSTRATOR, the file opens there,but no picture. I am not sure about the path commands in photoshop. I gotta read up and practice but by god I'm gonna get this right !!! Thanks for the reply.

JeffrySG
08-07-2007, 02:39 PM
do you have a path saved? or a mask/channel? I just tried it and it worked fine...

J

ps. make sure the path tool is set to 'paths' or 'shapes' not 'fill pixels' .. .then save/name the path in the path palette if you want to. then export the paths to illustrator in the export menu... then use the EPSF loader in the plugin menu...

Surrealist.
08-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Yeah, basically any path or shape you have created with the shape tool will be interpreted as a path and converted when you export. (I did not even save the file I just exported)

I don't know about opening in Photoshop but you don't need to open it there. Just import it in modeler. File/import/EPSF Loader.

Make sure and set it - in the Covert To drop down - To Closed Polygons and if you have a highly detailed path make sure and do what was suggested before by using a low setting. Standard or Rough. Also if you have holes in the path use the drill holes checkbox. But also this can cause problems if you have a lot of detail. Keeping it simple is the best. What I would suggest is test the process with a simple shape to make sure all is working, then proceed from there to your more complex shapes.

billuke
08-07-2007, 05:10 PM
I just got in and received all this new info from you guy's Jeff, I have the files saved as masked layers.I think I need to re-select them,and save the path(s)

that's where I think I'm messing up. I will post the results when finished

Thanks for taking the time to help J/R

billuke
08-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Ok,Iv'e done everything you guy's said.........and nothing. I think I might have an import problem in lw. I looked in my input-output plugins to see if there is a / .ai plugin. there is not. Should it have this ? I just cant load anything in the EPSF loader.

billuke
08-07-2007, 08:36 PM
I finally got something. I created a simple object,and I had a path this time. It loaded into lw no problem. Now I need to take my layers in the pic I'm working on,and create paths to do the same thing (hopefully) I tried to create paths from these layers with no luck.If I have to redo it ,then I will.

At least I know that lw is working ok.

billuke
08-07-2007, 09:30 PM
I finally got something. I created a simple object,and I had a path this time. It loaded into lw no problem. Now I need to take my layers in the pic I'm working on,and create paths to do the same thing (hopefully) I tried to create paths from these layers with no luck.If I have to redo it ,then I will.

I traced one of the layers,created a path,and it loaded into lw,but it is just a mask of the layer.No actual picture. I'm gettin darn close to doing this thing !

JeffrySG
08-07-2007, 09:47 PM
If you import a path it will not be a picture. It will be a outline of the object. It will look just like the path. The path has nothing to do with the picture besides being the shape that you created. If you want the picture to appear on it you will need to texture map the image on to the object that you create.

Surrealist.
08-07-2007, 10:16 PM

If you look at your tabs in PS you'll see Layers and Paths. If you don't have the Paths tab I think you can make it visible in the Window menu.

This is a great way to see what paths your file has. That will help. Both shapes and paths should show up here.

billuke
08-07-2007, 10:39 PM
I can see the path ,but it just shows the outline of the path.Not what is in the path.Somehow I'm not filling the path with the selected image,and that's what is being exported to lw,just a filled in object that is grey.No actual photo. It is definetly a 3d object,just no image.

Surrealist.
08-08-2007, 01:58 AM
Right. That's what Jeffry is trying to say.

Now that you have the object, give it a surface (q) on the keyboard and then map the image of the people or person or whatever you have masked onto that object as a planar image map projected on the axis that it faces - most likely the Z. From here you have to size it to fit. You can do that in real time in modeler or in Layout where you could also use a reference object to place it into position.

You could approach this with UVs as well but that would be another process that would take different planning from the beginning. The advantage is that you would not have to size to fit.

billuke
08-08-2007, 08:00 AM
Ok,I tried this method (Iv'e done the same thing surfacing planets etc) but with this object, I just come up with a swirled image.I did set to planar,and tried to scale to fit it,but it's crap. I guess I will keep playing with it untill I get it right.Thanks... Bill

Sarford
08-08-2007, 01:58 PM
You could also make the path in illustrator instead of the extra step in photoshop. Illustrators path tools are way better then Photoshop and you don't get strange stuff put in the file by photoshop export. You'll have nice clean paths directly from illustrator. Why would you wanna make this in photoshop anyway?

billuke
08-08-2007, 03:29 PM
You could also make the path in illustrator instead of the extra step in photoshop. Illustrators path tools are way better then Photoshop and you don't get strange stuff put in the file by photoshop export. You'll have nice clean paths directly from illustrator. Why would you wanna make this in photoshop anyway?

I don't know any other way. I'm new at this with little instuction,except for manuals and tutorials etc. I don't know anybody that's into video/3d stuff,so I gotta learn where I can. Everybody I talked to here, have been really helpfull,and positive which is awesome !

Thanks for your input.

Sarford
08-08-2007, 05:50 PM
Well, I didn't try to be a smartass, it's just that making paths in Photoshop and then importing them in illustrator seemed like an unneccesairy extra step to me. You can just as easely make those paths in illustrator to begin with. Seems more easy to me because you skip a step. And the more (unneccesairy) steps you skip, the less chance on unexpected errors.

By the way, if you wanna see your path in Illustrator but it doesn't show, push the 'y' button (could also be CTRL-y, I keep forgetting). It toggles between preview and vector mode. In vector mode it doesn't show fills or colors but it shows all paths and objects in black outline. This way you can see very fast if your paths are there and if they are ok.

Sarford
08-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Oh, and export your paths as Illustrator 8 EPS format. That's the only format LightWave will read well.

billuke
08-08-2007, 06:29 PM
I never really used Illustrator before. The way I'm doing this is loading my photo into PS,then using the mag pen tool to outline the people to isulate them to make my cutout path for lw. I looked in ai for a tool to do the same thing,but couldn't find one. if you have a trick to do this,i'd appreciate any input. ps. I'm not good at drawing/outlining with a mouse,that's why I use a magnetic tool. I did create a simple circle in ai,and saved as ai eps file.It loaded right up in lw. So your right,if I could do this in ai ,it would definetly be much faster.

Thanks again

billuke
08-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Well, I didn't try to be a smartass, it's just that making paths in Photoshop and then importing them in illustrator seemed like an unneccesairy extra step to me. You can just as easely make those paths in illustrator to begin with. Seems more easy to me because you skip a step. And the more (unneccesairy) steps you skip, the less chance on unexpected errors.

By the way, if you wanna see your path in Illustrator but it doesn't show, push the 'y' button (could also be CTRL-y, I keep forgetting). It toggles between preview and vector mode. In vector mode it doesn't show fills or colors but it shows all paths and objects in black outline. This way you can see very fast if your paths are there and if they are ok.

Na,your not a smartass.I'm a dumbass for not knowing this stuff !!

Surrealist.
08-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Ok,I tried this method (Iv'e done the same thing surfacing planets etc) but with this object, I just come up with a swirled image.I did set to planar,and tried to scale to fit it,but it's crap. I guess I will keep playing with it untill I get it right.Thanks... Bill

Make sure you are on the correct axis X Y or Z.

Surrealist.
08-08-2007, 07:30 PM

This is going back to the missed point that he could just export from PS. The Illustrator step is already dropped. I think it was because he did not have Illustrator - therefore sending of files to Jeffry to do in Illustrator...

There are no extra steps. Create the path, export. That is all.

As it was he was getting the path fine. It was then a LW issue with surfacing.

Bill,

Just create the path in Photoshop, Illustrator, whatever you have access to, export it.

In LW you just need to get the surfacing stuff squared away. Make sure you are importing as a poly in modeler.

If you are still having problems post some screen grabs.

Lets get you going on this! :)

billuke
08-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Hi Richard,I do have Illustrator,I just never used it.

back to the point>
No matter what axis I set my image on,it is twisted around and I can't get it on the surface correctly. Iv'e tried size/rotation etc on every axis
Your right,I got the object part down,it's just a matter of surfacing the dang thing.
I have tried numerous times to download the pics/files here,and everytime it fails ! That's why I sent Jeff the files to his email.

Surrealist.
08-08-2007, 08:42 PM
OK, I wasn't sure. Anyway, so what formatt are you trying to upload? Jpeg and gif work for me.

So you say it is twisted around. That is odd. Have you tried to just export a simple square, see if you can surface it?

billuke
08-08-2007, 08:46 PM
jpeg,and the lwo files. I even tried a zip file and they all fail. I tried again 2 min ago.... same bs

I did not try anything else to this surface,I'll give it a shot now.

Surrealist.
08-09-2007, 12:22 AM
Maybe your files are too big?

What is happening? What do you mean it does not work? Is it timing out? Are you getting an error message?

billuke
08-09-2007, 06:03 AM
All files are under the max of 5 mb. It just say's upload of files failed.I'm going to try again.

billuke
08-09-2007, 06:48 AM
Richard,here are the attachments. The lwo is not an exact match of the path/picture,but close enough to test ( I think) Thanks...... Bill

billuke
08-09-2007, 07:13 AM
The reason I couldn't download these was that I had the file ext in the file name......... WRONG !

I can't seem to find the ai file I had.

bjornkn
08-09-2007, 07:17 AM
Maybe I'm missing something here, but why make paths at all?
Wouldn't it be much easier and faster to just add an alpha mask and use as a clip map?

billuke
08-09-2007, 07:25 AM
This is my niece's wedding,and my goal is to turn all of these fine ladies into lwo so I can do some sort of composite effects in the video. My wife is actualy in the picture ( she just happens to be up in the tree, drunk )

billuke
08-09-2007, 07:29 AM
You have a faster way to make these lwo ? Thanks... Bill

bjornkn
08-09-2007, 08:02 AM
To use a clip map you make a simple plane (vertical).
To prepare the texture you need to add an alpha channel to your file (save as 32bit png or tga). This channel should contain the mask you made for that second image with the black background.
Then you apply the photo as texture to the simple plane.
You then send the object to Layout, which is where you have to apply the clip mask.
Open Object properties' Render tab and select the clip map T button.
Select your image, click Edit Image and make a clone of it.
Set the clone to use Alpha Only.
You will also probably have to check Invert Layer in Texture Editor because LW is reading black as opaque instead of transparent, which is more common.
I usually use UV mapping.
And I also usually crop the image so that the visible parts fill the entire plane.

The problem with clipmaps in LW is that for some reason LW cannot store this as part of the oibject file, but only as part of the scene.

bjornkn
08-09-2007, 08:17 AM
Here's a very small example - a tiny crop from a small animation I made a while ago.
The upper glove on the wall is clip mapped, while the lower one is a 3D model (because it is animated later).
The 2 upper wakeboards are 3D, while the rest are just clip-mapped simple planes.

billuke
08-09-2007, 09:54 AM
So your saying the plane is actualy the lwo,with the clip mask on top. What size should the plane be ? or can I just re-size as needed when the image is applied to it.

bjornkn
08-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Here's a quick example, using "your" bride.
As well as a zipped file with scene, objects and masked image .

billuke
08-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Wow ! thanks for doing this ! It's alot easier to learn something by actualy seeing the concept. I'm going on my other pc to check this out.

I have to leave in a short while,but I'll let you know my results later .

Thanks again, Bill

billuke
08-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Well unfortunetly, I'm using lw 7.0 and you have the newer version,so I cannot open the scene. However,I used your files to re-create this as per your instructins and I just get blue planes in the render. I tried many different settings,and still get the same thing.

Surrealist.
08-09-2007, 01:44 PM
OK, now that you can load images. How about posting an image of when you were having trouble mapping the image on the polygon in modeler? ( back to solution A)

In case you don't know how: You can post a screen grab by using the print screen key then paste into a new file in PS and save as gif or jpeg.

If you post what is occurring I am certain someone will be able to pinpoint why it is not working. It is bound to be something simple.

billuke
08-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Of coarse,this is another problem ! The pc that lw is on,was built for video editing with an Avid system installed so alot of (normal) functions on it do not work.I tried the print screen function,and it did nothing. There is no printer installed,and it's not online.

I think I need to just mess around with this untill I get it right. You guy's have done everything and more than anyone could excpect.

Surrealist.
08-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Print screen copies the screen to the clipboard. Then, in Photoshop or any other photo editing app choose paste while you have a file open - a blank one preferably.

billuke
08-09-2007, 03:25 PM
http://www.digitaljuice.com/dj_showcase/detail.asp?page=1&portfolioid={F2B53968-2EE3-413D-90D7-2840ECEB08BE}&sortby=&display=all&workid=1873

On a totaly different note: Check out this masterfully edited video.it will take a minute or so to load,but it's worth it. It's not 3d ,just a stunning work of art !

billuke
08-09-2007, 03:34 PM
I'll go give it a shot Richard. Thanks

Check out the link above to that video.Iv'e watched it 30 x to learn,and still get goose bumps from it !

billuke
08-09-2007, 03:53 PM
I'll go give it a shot Richard. Thanks

Check out the link above to that video.Iv'e watched it 30 x to learn,and still get goose bumps from it !

Actually,some of it is 3d,mostly not though.

billuke
08-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Richard,What is clipboard? Where is it located ? My wife showed me how to copy screen shots in wordpad,but I can't use that. Thanks

billuke
08-09-2007, 08:28 PM
As you can see,I'm not doing something right. I tried every setting, with the same,or worse results.

JeffrySG
Richard,What is clipboard? Where is it located ? My wife showed me how to copy screen shots in wordpad,but I can't use that. Thanks
when you copy something it is stored in the 'clipboard'. You don't really need to do something to get it there. Just hit print screen, create a new ps document at whatever settings are in the dialog box and then go to paste....

billuke

Nevermind. it was in ps. Thanks.

Hi Jeff,as you can see I got sidetracked doing this a different way.

billuke
08-09-2007, 09:13 PM
I did not forget about your project. I used the tga file from the clip map idea bjorn gave me ,and used that in my path project. After a little sizing /tweeking it came out pretty good. I need to redo the thing,but I understand now! I just have to figure out what is the best/fastest way to accomplish this. Your and Richards help have been above and beyond the help I expected here,and I thank you both for the time you spent on this.

Surrealist.
08-09-2007, 10:59 PM
Hey, well at least you got the screen grabs working. :)

Good lick with it.

billuke
08-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Hey, well at least you got the screen grabs working. :)

Good lick with it.

Hi Richard, I'm learning alot of new stuff here thanks to people like you.I re -did this object again ,it came out much better,but I'm not satisfied with the edges doing it this way.Too cookie cutter looking.Hopefully I can get this other way together with better results.

Thanks much.

billuke
08-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Hey Bjorn,as you can see I got this together using the Path method,it's ok,but like I said " to cookie cutter looking ".What you have posted is much claner looking. I did attach the screen shots for you a couple of posts ago if you could take a look at them,maybe you can see my mistake(s)

Thanks..... Bill

Surrealist.
08-10-2007, 01:23 AM
What I think you need is a more feathered edge look and you won't get that with a clip map. As far as I understand, clip maps do not acknowledge gray scale. It is either 100% black or white.

But you can use an image map to create a transparency on the object surface. What you would do is use the alpha image and use a blur on it in photoshop to create a gradient along the edges.

If you wanted to you could do this entirely with image maps.

Just use a flat polygon and use one alpha map to create transparency with a feathered edge. Then you'd have your image mapped on the poly - in fact the image of the person would not even need to be cut out. Just use an alpha map that cuts around it with a blurred edge.

You could float these around just the same. If you need shadows, use ray trace shadows and they will use the transparency.

1) Example of blurred edge 2) (9.0+ OGL display) Shows a square poly with an image map in transparency. Works the same as a clip map but you can have blurred edges.

bjornkn
08-10-2007, 01:56 AM
Sorry for being "absent" while you're struggling... ;)
From the sreen shots it looks like you have the Alpha disabled, instead of setting it to Alpha Only, on the cloned bride.tga.
You're also using planar mapping instead of UV-mapping, which may give you some problems like repeating textures and misaligned image/clipmap.

Attached is a LW5.6 version of the lws and bride.lwo + bride2.lwo, which is the white cutout (using only the alpha), which should hopefully contain the UV map I was using, which is just a very simple planar UV mapping along z axis using automatic sizing.

The advantage of clip-mapping is that you can get a lot of detail without adding any geometry, like you do when using paths. It is very often used for adding distant trees and people to architectural scenes. Paths work great for simple contours, but will have problems with trees and similar organic models that doesn't have sharp/straight outlines without getting the cookie-cutter look.. An advantage of paths is that you can see the contour even in wireframe mode.

bjornkn
08-10-2007, 02:43 AM
1) Example of blurred edge 2) (9.0+ OGL display) Shows a square poly with an image map in transparency. Works the same as a clip map but you can have blurred edges.
I also often use alpha mapping on the transparency channel. It is much easier now with nodes, and you don't need to make a clone of the original 32bit file.
The problem is that whenever you add any specularity or reflection to the surface the transparent parts are no longer invisible unless you add clipping to them, so you may end up with a big node tree for a simple texture. But then you don't usually need any spec/reflections on such surfaces..
And clipmaps seems to render much faster?
In this bride image it would also be useful with a transparency map to give certain parts a slight transparency, like the veil etc.

Here's an example from a virtual exhibition I made a few years ago, which was full of transparency and clip-mapping. I simply couldn't have done it with all those textures and objects if I didn't "cheat"..
http://sapmi.uit.no/sapmi/ExhibitionContainer.do?category=Rom_1_1a
to the second room. Java required, and Norwegian and Sapmi text only, unfortunately. It's an exhibition showing the history of the Sapmi people, the indigenous people living in northern Norway, Sweden, Finland and NW Russia.
It's full of hotspots/links to navigate through the 4 exhibition rooms, and to view info about clicked items - if you want to "take the tour".

Surrealist.
08-10-2007, 03:03 AM
The problem is that whenever you add any specularity or reflection to the surface the transparent parts are no longer invisible unless you add clipping to them, so you may end up with a big node tree for a simple texture. But then you don't usually need any spec/reflections on such surfaces.

Yeah that's right. I was thinking more on the lines of transitional elements rather than full-on texturing.

But anyway, great ideas for this bjornkn. :)

billuke
08-10-2007, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the new info . I will post results asap.

billuke
08-11-2007, 12:41 PM
I have come to the conclusion that lw is not processing the Alpha channel,with the actual image.It show's both on my image editor,but will not mask out the lw plane that the image is on. I can post some more sceen settings later .... Thanks

bjornkn
08-12-2007, 04:37 AM
I think that what you've seen is that when you have Alpha enabled it looks like it's doing nothing. But what it does is make the rest/alpha of the image transparent, revealing the base color/texture.

billuke
08-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Hi Bjorn, My question is, Why do I see the "plane lwo" in my renders, and in you photo it is just the bride,not the rest of the plane object ? All that I ever get is the bride,and the background of the plane around the bride. Is this a general lw setting in the program I do not have set properly?

ps: I did take the tour SAPMI that you created,it is very good.

bjornkn
08-14-2007, 10:44 AM
I'm not sure, but if you just load plane.lwo into Layout it will show the entire plane. To hide the area around the bride you'll need to add a clip map to the object via the object properties. The problem with clip maps in LW is that they cannot be assigned in Modeler, but only in Layout. Because it is not stord int he .lwo file you always have to do some extra work every time you want to reuse a clip-mapped object.
As mentioned earlier, the clipmap should use the same UV-mapping, but use a cloned instance of the image, where you set it to use "Alpha Only".

Glad you liked the SAPMI tour :) I'm glad I didn't have to make all the hotspots/links;)

billuke
08-14-2007, 01:33 PM
Hi Bjorn, I cannot make this work, I have the other way with the paths down good enough to finish this project. I need to study ,and learn this myself.I just haven't taken the time in photoshop / lightwave to learn these things,which are becomming increasingly important to doing video.I just borrowed the PHOTOSHOP classroom in a book to learn this program. I want to thank you again for all your information ,which gave me a big head start to improve my editing skills. Bill

bjornkn
08-15-2007, 02:56 AM
Good luck!
One thing that makes this a bit confusing may be the use of an alpha channel to control transparency? The alpha channel is just an extra channel (8 bit with 256 grey levels). In PS pure white (255) means that the image will be completely opaque/visible, while in LW it means that it will be completely transparent. The reason why this is so is because in PS pure white (255) tells it to set opacity to full, while in LW it tells it to set transparency to full, which gives exactly the inverse results. That's why you need to invert it in LW, because the alpha controls transparency instead of opacity.