PDA

View Full Version : Glare or non glare MacBook Pro

StereoMike
08-06-2007, 03:40 AM
Hi,

I convinced my wife on buying a MacBook Pro (or did she convinced me? I guess it was like that).

At first I opted for a small white MB, cause intentionally I wanted it just for presentations at the clients office and for my wife doing internet, but if lightwave would run on it (surely under bootcamp) this would be a great plus...so I had to think about the MBP.
That's nearly twice the money just for a better graphics solution...argh!

Anyway, what's better? A glare (better color contrast) or a non-glare display(no reflections)?

Thanks,
mike

brunopeixoto
08-06-2007, 05:37 AM
I remember to read something about the number of color on Mac Books displays, that they aren't true 24 bit displays (actually 32.000 color + or -).
About glare and non glare, in ambients with low light or no direct light, gflare rules, but with a light too close...
About LW on bootcamp, you can use VMWare fusion or the UB mac version too.

If possible, go to a store and try.

avkills
08-06-2007, 07:52 AM
I personally like the non-glare display myself.

-mark

nthused
08-06-2007, 07:55 AM
After talking with several of the macbook pro users at our local Apple store - all of them said the "glare" version was superior - easier on the eyes - and better color/contrast.

Also, keep in mind that the mac book doesn't include a separate video card - so OPEN GL performance may really bite with LW. The mac book pro video though is very nice.

LW_Will
08-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Funny, I thought that the matte was the superior way to go.

I think it is a personal preference, but I like matte!

Mr Maze
08-06-2007, 02:32 PM
I have compared the two side by side. My opinion is that yes, the glossy display is richer in color and contrast appearance, but reflects everything under the sun. Imagine not being able to see what is happening on your display just because a 20% luminous poly was behind you to the right :)

I had a heck of a time just trying to find an angle to look at it just so I could see the display and not a mirror like reflection... IMHO worthless for anywhere but a pitch black room.

Also, the argument can be made against working on a display that has richer color and contrast than any output medium you will be using (such as any print work).

StereoMike
08-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks for all the thoughts on that topic!

I guess I will go for the matte one. The reason that really convinced me came from Mr Maze: I have to keep in mind the target audience / medium. Making a proof for every little bit on a regular monitor on a second computer somehow defeats the idea of working with a laptop outside of the office.

Thank you all and expect more questions next month :)

mike

MysteryMonkey
08-06-2007, 04:33 PM
. . . Anyway, what's better? A glare (better color contrast) or a non-glare display(no reflections)? . . .

Too much glare and reflections on the gloss screen for my taste. I would only go with the matte finish screen myself. Ask yourself how many hours you might spend in front of a screen? At the end of the day will you be happier because your screen had "richer" colors but your eyes are fatigued, or your eyes feel better but the colors weren't as vivid as they could be?

Have fun with your new toy! :D

Qslugs
08-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Open GL on the Macbook pro is fine. Even the 2.16 duo core version. The 2.16 Macbook pro has only 128mb video ram, and my desktop has 256mb. My macbook pro (2.16) is equal to or faster to work on, than my not quite that old AMD 2.4 ghz machine. The Macbook pro has a gig more ram (2 instead of 1 on the macbook pro). It also has 4 megs of ram on the chip vs 1 on the AMD.

Oh and to answer your question, I like the matte finish. And like you my wife wanted it, she couldnt imagine sitting there at the pool out in the sun, trying to use the glossy screen.

nthused
08-07-2007, 06:42 PM
Good points all...I think you've changed my mind.

Phil
08-08-2007, 05:25 AM
Matte. My PSP has a glossy screen and is unusable in bright light because all you can see is, well, you. The Mac glossy screens have the same problem.

Matt
08-08-2007, 05:45 AM
The gloss screens have much better colour / contrast, as already said. Even Apple agree, watch the new keynote.

StereoMike
08-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Yes and that's somehow irritating. I want to use it for doing graphical stuff, so it shouldn't be to far off compared to Joe Average's screens.
mike

Andyjaggy
08-09-2007, 09:31 AM
glossy always has better color and contrast. The same is true with photo prints as with computer monitors. However I always opt for matte. I just like it better.

Stooch
08-09-2007, 11:13 AM
yep. its all about light scattering. something matte has diffused reflections, problem is that the highlight spreads out and overlaps the screen. the shinier gloss finish concentrates the light to a smaller highlight which has a higher intensity. i did use a macbook pro on an outdoor porch (with a roof) during a sunny day in LA and the glare made it horrible. basically from about 45% the screen was virtually unusuable (couldn't read text). Could it be fresnel effect> lol... i guess pro = darkened room user.

JeffrySG
08-09-2007, 08:33 PM
...and a lot of it will depend on where you will be using the mac. if it's in a controlled environment the gloss would prob. be better. but if you plan on taking it to the coffee place and have a bright sunny window behind you it might drive you crazy. I love the way the gloss looks in a darker room... but in a bright room with windows it drives me wacko...

redlum
08-15-2007, 08:31 AM
I have the non=glare version. I chose it because I didn't want anything added to my graphics that I didn't put there myself. I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but when I make shiny buttons or glassy interface parts I want to see it the way I made it. I thought that having a glossy screen would add to the graphic that wasn't really there.

kilvano
08-15-2007, 09:20 AM
get the glossy. If you spend most of your time indoors then the glare wont bother you.

Sande
08-15-2007, 04:26 PM
I had to choose between those two some time ago and after comparing the two in the store I decided to go with the matte. Glossy had a tiny bit more punch with the colours, but the reflections really bothered me. I don't really see a point using that kind of display, unless you either enjoy your own reflection or you are going to spend a lot of time outdoors under bright sunligt - there glossy is a much better choice...

Captain Obvious
08-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Non-glossies always seemed to have a much better vertical viewing angle to me.

JGary
08-16-2007, 12:43 AM
You could always go with the glossy screen and get one of these sexy things:

Compushade
http://www.compushade.com/viewarticle.php?page=3

I have a Dell XPS and will probably try one since I can't see anything except myself when outside with the laptop. Going to make a hacked version out of cardboard first to see if this will really help with glare.

StereoMike
08-16-2007, 04:47 AM
Haha, with these blinkers I guess people will think you're browsing for pr0n.
:D
Takes too much attention for my taste. I will go with a matte one. For me, all the advantages of a glossy one are not as strong as the drawbacks.

mike