PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to use Poser7 to animate my character in LW8.5.

rickson_tak
08-05-2007, 11:00 PM
I'd like to use poser7 to animate my character that is made in LW8.5.

Actually I found the information that BVH file has to be transfered into the scene when we want to use poser7's animation.

However, I still can't import BVH files into the LW scene correctly.
I can't find the best bone set up to adjust BVH file format in LW scene.

Is there any notes when BVH files are going to be imported in LW8.5 scene?
Is the number of bones limited when we use BVH?:oye:

If there are some tips about this on the Internet, could you please tell me the URL.
Or originally should I move into other animation application software instead of using poser7? :question:

Thank you very much in advance.:)

SplineGod
08-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Animating in LW is much easier then animating in Poser. Posers graph editor is horrible and makes editing animation extremely difficult. I would spend some time learning IKBoost in LW. Much of the same functionality in poser thats good such as reusing poses and motions are there.

BVH files import more easily into poser generally but Ive found many that dont work or dont work very well. Again once you have the bvh imported into poser, editing it is very painful due to the primitive graph editor.

There are some tools to import Poser animation, files, morphs etc into LW. Im testing some right now and am very impressed with the results. When I can Ill talk about them more. :)

dballesg
08-06-2007, 12:14 AM
Animating in LW is much easier then animating in Poser. Posers graph editor is horrible and makes editing animation extremely difficult. I would spend some time learning IKBoost in LW. Much of the same functionality in poser thats good such as reusing poses and motions are there.

BVH files import more easily into poser generally but Ive found many that dont work or dont work very well. Again once you have the bvh imported into poser, editing it is very painful due to the primitive graph editor.

There are some tools to import Poser animation, files, morphs etc into LW. Im testing some right now and am very impressed with the results. When I can Ill talk about them more. :)

Hi Larry,

I will be interested as well on those tools. So please share any information when you can! :)

Best regards,
David

SplineGod
08-06-2007, 12:19 AM
So far the tools are able to import most characters with morphs, weight maps, bones, and animation. I definately will keep you posted :)

prospector
08-06-2007, 12:52 AM
Greenbriars plugins import everything into LW from Poser

Mr Rid
08-06-2007, 01:14 AM
Greenbriars plugins import everything into LW from Poser

Have always wondered how well this works. Anyone actually use it for something specific beyond playing around?

Have wondered what problems lurk in the Life Forms Studio as well.

rickson_tak
08-06-2007, 01:33 AM
:) Thank you very much for quick reply.

I didn't know that poser animation is worse than LW animation.
And I agree with the opinion LW has a very nice graph editor originally.
But I thought it was tough to rig character animation.

I happened to choose poser7 at this time in order to make 3d animation much more quickly and easily.

However, if Poser can't become that answer, I'll keep using LW animation and am gonna try another animation tool, such as Motion builder (I gotta buy it, actually:devil: ).
Is Motionbuilder good compared with Poser?:question:

dballesg
08-06-2007, 02:21 AM
So far the tools are able to import most characters with morphs, weight maps, bones, and animation. I definately will keep you posted :)

The ones you are using are not the Greenbriars ones, right?

Best regards,
David

prospector
08-06-2007, 07:56 AM
Have always wondered how well this works.
it does everything well...that it's SUPPOSE to do...

problem in LW tho is same problem that poser has.....joint kinks.

Weights from poser do not forgive joints and there are overlapping skin in elbows, knees, shoulders,hips.... Same that you see in all poser renders.

Just too many polys in models to begin with.
Great for background people

mrpapabeis
08-06-2007, 08:09 AM
I use Green Briars plugins. They work. Here are the "buts";

1) You have to point to all textures in modeler. A bit time consuming. Not the end of the world.

2) Any texture that has no reflection on it defaults to 100% reflection. A bit time consuming. Not the end of the world.

3) The geometry from Poser is heavy. Take the hit or spend some time reducing.

4) In layout. You can auto rig. Very cool. Even IK goals. Morphs come in fine. Usually. Some type of morphs don't transfer though. Can't remember what those type of morphs were called.

5) Sometimes the geometry/normals get flipped making holes in the model. SubD's, tri-polys, etc.. for fixing.

6) Weight maps. These come in from Poser, but 99% need to be tweaked.

7) I've had good support from Greenbriar. Prompt email replies. And he's patient.

So if you don't care for modeling (like me) this is a good alternative. BUT. Be prepared to work.

I've attached a test I've done using the EmotiGuy. Poser to LW. Voiced by Joe Lala. (joelala.com)

Have fun guys!

GP

SplineGod
08-06-2007, 11:39 AM
David,
The ones Im using are not Greenbriars. We have that one and have had issues with regards to getting characters over that are sculpted using morphs. They seem to transfer defaulted back to their original shape.

The ones Im using now bring everything across very nicely including weight maps, bones, motions, objects and textures, scenes etc. Not sure how much theyll go for at this point. The plugins are from a very respected developer in the LW community. :)

Ricksan,
Animating in LW is MUCH better then poser. A good graph editor is pretty important to be able to pull off a good performance and with poser its extremely difficult. If you use mocap or the included motions with little desire to tweak the motions then the graph editor (and a few other things) are not important.
Rigging in poser is also a huge pain if youve created a character outside of poser and wish to import it. Its way more difficult then with LW and a hell of a lot less flexible. Lighting, texturing and many other aspects are way more primitive as well. Lightwaves rigging is much easier and alot more powerful believe me. The other thing is the poser characters are way too polygon heavy IMO. It just makes it a pain to do anything serious with. On top of that theres no distributed rendering. Its easy to make it bog down and definately isnt designed to work in a studio situation or over a network. The poser scenes tend to be HUGE too.

mrpapabeis
08-06-2007, 01:08 PM
I have actually done three commercials in "Poser". PAIN!!!! Don't do it! It really, really hurts. It's slow. Its "crashy". It sucks up resources like Paris Hilton.

GP

PS New conversion plugins ? Hmnnnn...... Do tell.....

dballesg
08-06-2007, 01:24 PM
David,
The ones Im using are not Greenbriars. We have that one and have had issues with regards to getting characters over that are sculpted using morphs. They seem to transfer defaulted back to their original shape.

The ones Im using now bring everything across very nicely including weight maps, bones, motions, objects and textures, scenes etc. Not sure how much theyll go for at this point. The plugins are from a very respected developer in the LW community. :)

Hi Larry,

Thanks a lot for confirm me are not the Greenbriars ones! :) Do you can tell if those NEW ones would be commercial ones or not? Do you have any ide of release date or price! :)

If you can not tell, please can you ask the developer to contact with me privately. I would like to use those to put walking people on arch viz animations, and for that I think worth the try! :)

Best regards,
David

Phil
08-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Hmmm. Greenbriar has worked well here. Everything seems to work well, but I used the Poser skeleton setup to simply guide the Maestro 2.05 skeleton positioning. Seemed to work quite well, as long as you remember to flip the models on import (otherwise morphs get seriously busted).

The scale on import is also busted.

mrpapabeis
08-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Phil "Heffalump",

Cr2 loader has a LW scale checkbox. I leave that on along with the flip Z axis. Sometimes when i'm feeling fiesty, I click on the triangulate mesh...

GP

rickson_tak
08-07-2007, 12:22 AM
I really appreciate Larry and everyone on this thread.
Thank you very much!

I still need to learn rigging in LW scene.:lwicon:
Actuallly recently my company bought Poser to use the included models.
That made me think almost all of animation can be done in Poser.
But I recognized that animating shouldn't get done in Poser.:agree:

And this time, I also remember the importance and greatness of LW's graph editor.

Thank you very much and I'll keep makling efforts to create what I really make.:)

SplineGod
08-07-2007, 01:03 AM
Poser characters unfortunately are also way too heavy. We are also looking into Quidam since it deals with lower rez geometry and can export rigs.

jahumaster
08-07-2007, 08:27 AM
So Larry, let us know what tools are you Using for exporting characters and animations between poser7 and lightwave.
Sometimes i just want to use and render preanimated character from poser7 and render it within lw scene. What is the best way to ahcie this?

Thank you a lot .

Jan

pbelchamber
08-07-2007, 09:03 PM
I wonder if it is anything to do with e-frontier's forthcoming Poser Pro application which has only just been announced - it promises Poser integration with all the major applications. It also mentions Collada import/export, though as far as I know LW has no way of importing Collada data as yet. Check this link: www.e-frontier.com/go/poserpro .

SplineGod
08-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Nothing to do with Poser Pro. :)

jahumaster
08-08-2007, 12:43 AM
LARRY! ITS TIME to answer US. please.

how to do the best conversion between this 2 apps ? lw and poser ?
Jan

Thalek
08-08-2007, 03:22 AM
LARRY! ITS TIME to answer US. please.

how to do the best conversion between this 2 apps ? lw and poser ?
Jan

If he's testing something, he may be under a Non-Disclosure Agreement.

He did say that he'll tell us when he's able.

Not that I feel any more patient than you do. [grin] Poser 7 to Lightwave has been on my personal wish-list for awhile now.