PDA

View Full Version : crystalspace or ?

arma3d
08-04-2007, 11:46 PM
Hello,

Does anyone know if Lightwave objects can be used in the open source Crystalspace http://www.crystalspace3d.org/main/Main_Page ?

If this isn't possible could someone point me to some other open source
game development software. What I would like to do is not really a game but to make a (much) smaller version of what is in Grand Theft Auto, a place to put my architecture and other objects in that I can just walk through.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

a.

Tzan
08-05-2007, 09:20 AM
The info was hidden in a tutorial section.
So you cant use .lwo, but you could convert one to other file types.

http://www.crystalspace3d.org/main/ArtistBestPractices_Tutorial#Format

I dont use this program, I was just poking around.... while waiting for PIM :)
http://www.pimtools.be/

But dont bother waiting for it if you need to work on something now... or a year from now.

StereoMike
08-05-2007, 12:02 PM
I bought DX Studio.
It's cheap (non commercial starts at 100$) and very easy to setup.
Full javascript compliant. Physics, 2D and 3D layers etc.
And the developing company is very cooperative and implements feature requests very fast.
At the moment your best bet is .x model and animation import, but since that has problems they work on native loading of LW scenes and objects right now (expect later this year).

There's a free edition (amount of objects is limited to 10 per layer), try this and you will surely be hooked once you've started it.

www.dxstudio.com

mike

Kryos
08-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Myself, I mess with Torque, and Torque has a lightwave exporter for its DTS format which is used for all character models and most objects in the game. :)

ItsPete
08-05-2007, 05:07 PM
if you have a mac, check out unity. not open source but it's pretty cheap ($250 entry). making a walk thru will take all of 10 minutes with no coding and you can publish to a web player with a mouse click. the ide is mac only though.

arma3d
08-07-2007, 11:58 PM
Thanks all for the replies.

I should say that the cheap version of Unity won't give you the ability to run your project on the pc. It'll do fine for the mac, but I'd rather have something that'll be platform agnostic. The no-programming part sounds really good, tho. I guess being able to publish to the web would make it universal, I will definitely go back and give it another look.

I will look into Torque and PIM.

I'm using a macintosh but every other computer I touch is a pc running either xp or nt, I'd rather not get a pc for my next machine but seein's how all of the plug-ins for LW seem to work for the pc and not so much on the mac that'll be something I'l have to keep in mind.

Again, the main points being:

1- I'd like fror the finished product to run on either mac or pc and linux would be a plus.

2- Cheap as in free or cheap as in affordable to somebody with little money to spend.

3- Would it be too much to assume that I could burn it to a dvd and send it to others and have them boot it up with no problem ?

Thank you everybody, I hope this info could help somebody else, if it does please let me know of your experience.

a.

ItsPete
08-08-2007, 02:38 PM
you are correct. no pc standalone from unity indie. no linux at all. the web player from indie does work on a pc but you'll have the unity watermark. it's small but still. you can burn standalones to a cd/dvd. the web player i would do over the net only because they'll need to install the plug in if they don't have it. you could also put the plug in on the dvd but that's one more thing to worry about.

torque is ok but there wasn't much mac support last i checked. you have to handle code too. not a big deal for what you're talking though. it might be the best option for your situation if you're ok with code. unity's a heck of a lot easier to work with tho - at least for me.
pim hasn't been released yet. looks cool tho.

MentalFish
08-11-2007, 08:11 AM
Torque, takes alot of work to make something different than the game templates it comes with. After having done a project in Torque, i wouldnt touch it with ten foot pole ever again.

PIM is still in beta so not an option

Another cheap (free) option is Ogre, but not much can be done without c++ knowledge, although they have made a python version.

Blitz3D is a good standalone solution, but is windows only.

Unity and Director are the two that has the lowest time-to-market, when it comes to developing, but they both come with a bit of price tag and no Linux option, but with the press of a button you get web and standalone for both Mac and Windows.

In my experience, free engines = alot of work on my part to get anywhere, so i'd say go for the 250$ unity, and once the game is finished, get the finances to get the full version to publish the standalone.

If you chose Director, me and many others could help out in the local ShockWave3D forum here in the NewTek forums :)

warmiak
08-15-2007, 12:38 PM
Yeah, Ogre is not a game engine but a rendering engine ( and a very , very good one at that)

You need to be pretty advanced in C++ to make most out of it ...

MentalFish
08-18-2007, 06:35 AM
true, and the same can be said about ShockWave3D, it isnt a game engine but a generic realtime 3d engine. I have always preferred to write all the interaction from scratch anyway, so it has been perfect for me :thumbsup:

Sande
08-19-2007, 01:50 PM
I would also recommend Unity3D. I have tested it a bit (kind folks over OTEE even extended my trial) and it really seems like a very good value. The editor and engine seem very well thought out (I have seen several commercial engines which don't come even close) and performance is good. Version 2 should be coming out soon and it seems to address most of my own concerns with the current version (terrain and GUI editor, realtime shadows.)

particledecay
08-20-2007, 02:17 AM
I've used Torque (TGE) and am now learning Unity.

TGE 1.5: steep learning curve, cheap and multi platform.
TGE will export to openGL platforms including Mac and Windows and comes with the source. As you're after a simple walkthrough I'd suggest that the TGE steep learning curve won't effect you and that you won't even have to modify any scripts if you don't want to. First person walkthroughs can be achieved out of the box. Expansion packs and resources are available at a small cost to give you a third person character if required. Very few Torque resources come with Lightwave models - most are 3ds max files only. The advanced version of the engine (TGEA) has more cool effects than the basic TGE 1.5 but is DirectX only (no Mac support for the advanced version). Comes with a GUI world builder to place your objects / buildings. Massive free (non commercial licence) trees and sky packs available through the community.
www.garagegames.com

Unity: much simpler to learn and nice GUI.
I've only been using Unity for two days but here's my observations so far. Basic Lightwave objects without animation import easily. Too early for me to say with certainty but it seems that Unity has poor support for Lightwave bone animation. I'm currently struggling to get characters working and the docs are not detailed enough on the FBX exporter problems. The graphics are much nicer to look at than than TGE 1.5 on the Mac. Mac and web only for the cheap version as mentioned above.
http://unity3d.com

particledecay
08-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Update: I now have LW bone animations working in Unity, I had to tweak my rig and remove RPR.

StereoMike
08-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Rpr?

Sande
08-23-2007, 02:23 PM
Record pivot rotation.