PDA

View Full Version : Dynamics Calculate Crash

barryfleming
08-04-2007, 08:48 AM
Hi, I can usually find the answer to my problems by reading the forum (long time viewer, first post, thanks for all the help!) but can't seem to find anyone with this same problem. While calculating a cloth simulation everything locks up if I do anything other than move my mouse or hit ctrl (which properly aborts the simulation). Even if another program pops up a window, everything locks up. This even happens after a full format and reinstall.

iconoclasty
08-04-2007, 09:02 AM
What version are you using? I know dynamics calculations had this issue which was cleaned up a little in v.9 I think. It's not anything that's wrong with your system or anything, it's just a natural reaction from layout I think. However, are you sure it's completely locked up? When I've had this issue before it would only lock up until the calculation was finished, then it would come back.

prospector
08-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Altho this is your first post and I was tricked on another thread...you asked something LW so :thumbsup:

My calculations take up to hours per frame and the CTRL key is not checked by computer untill frame is complete. This was discussed in a hair dynamics thread.
It's not locked, but calculating.

barryfleming
08-04-2007, 11:15 AM
iconoclasty I'm using 9.2.

prospector Not too sure what you meant by "tricked". Just curious :)

I brought the scene down to 10 frames and it does keep calculating, as it completes the 10 frames. Only thing is it won't let me stop the calculating with the ctrl and the frame and step information doesn't change. The frames are taking less that 10 seconds to calculate and I'm constantly trying the ctrl key.

Thanks for your help so far.

iconoclasty
08-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Yeah, if you press any other buttons or switch to another program whilst calculating the interface is going to lock up until calculation in complete. I don't think anyone's found a way around this as of yet. If it's causing you difficulties the only thing I can suggest is to bring your timeline down to as few frames as you're going to want to see calculated while you're tweaking the dynamics.

barryfleming
08-04-2007, 11:52 AM
That's too bad that happens. Seems like something that should be fixed. Thanks again for your help.

iconoclasty
08-04-2007, 11:56 AM
there was talk of a control window that would allow you to switch to other programs and I believe keep LW from locking up. It was suppose to be new in 9 and I thought I even used it a couple times but it seems to have disappeared.

iconoclasty
08-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Okay, here's another solution. open FX browser (under utilities tab-plugins-additional) If you use that to calculate (by pushing start) it doesn't have the locking up issues and there's an easy to use abort button. I hadn't used this previously but it seems to do the trick.

barryfleming
08-04-2007, 02:11 PM
Thank you very much iconoclasty, you've just made my life a lot easier! So far it works great.

iconoclasty
08-05-2007, 08:57 PM
No prob, learned something myself in the process.