PDA

View Full Version : animation file size

yellow22
08-03-2007, 09:35 AM
I would like to use 3d animations on my web site (about 10 to 30 seconds long). If I render it for the smallest file size, what would that file size be? Would this create file sizes too large for fairly high speed internet access? And what would the quality look like? These would be science animations.
(I am considering buying Lightwave 3D if this would work). Maybe someone could email me an image of what this would look like: [email protected]
Thanks very much for the help.

Russel
08-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Howdy...

If you want a flash/animation style - look into Swift3D for Lightwave... the animations will be quite small bandwidth-wise. (Converts 3d into actual Flash files)

... Though I have a feeling you want more realistic visuals since you're developing a scientific website! Not too knowledgeable about this area except that you can get some pretty compressed animation files using video compressor software.
As for file types; Personally I'm fond of Quicktime (.mov) and .avi formats since they're quite common and I don't have to wait and download/install YET ANOTHER mysterious and sometimes unusable custom plugin just to view the brief animation.
Hope this helps in some fashion.

Sarford
08-03-2007, 05:43 PM
DON'T USE SWIFT 3D!, sorry for shouting but this is one hell of a worthless plug-in, and yeah I have it. Swift 3D makes tremendous file sizes if you compair it to the endresult.

You can use fully shaded 3D clips on your website. Use flash for this, everybody has the flash plug-in, it has a great compressor and it is very versatile. Actualy, Flash is a small compositing program in itself (to some extend). The trick is to be creative with loops, background loading and alpha if you wannna do this.

You can use a static background and use multiple layers of rendered clips with alpha channels on top of that. Put it in a flash file and dump it in your site. You can also dynamicly load clips to add to your movie while it plays. Just to make clear, make a flash-movie and NOT a flash-video if you want to keep the filesize down.

Some knowledge of flash and actionscripting is advisable if you wanna do these kinds of thing. Take a look at my website. I've done several 3D clips in flash. If you need any help you can always e-mail me.

toby
08-04-2007, 03:16 AM
I would like to use 3d animations on my web site (about 10 to 30 seconds long). If I render it for the smallest file size, what would that file size be? Would this create file sizes too large for fairly high speed internet access? And what would the quality look like? These would be science animations.
(I am considering buying Lightwave 3D if this would work). Maybe someone could email me an image of what this would look like: [email protected]
Thanks very much for the help.
'Too large' for high speed is 100mb or more, so yes you should be able to do it easily, esp. if it's only 10 seconds. 1/2 a meg per second would be very high quality.

Silkrooster
08-04-2007, 08:34 PM
To figure out your file size:
Render a single frame, take that file size and multiply by 15 by 10 to 30. In other words web animation is normally at 15 frames per second, therefore size of single frame x fps x number of seconds = approx. size of animation.
This size would be uncompressed, the codec will compress the file even further.
To be somewhat accurate the frame in the above equation should not be compressed.

Things to help reduce file size:
reduce the number of colors
reduce the resolution
reduce the quality slider in the codec
reduce the number of frame per second
reduce the length of the animation
keep motion to a minimum(codecs will compress better)
If using flash use more vector objects over raster images
Try other file formats and codecs
Silk