PDA

View Full Version : Help

gymcoach
08-03-2007, 08:39 AM
I have 2 arrays on a two channel SCSI on board controller. One of the drives started going bad so back upped my data on that array and put an older drive in to replace the failing one. I did a low level format on that drive and when windows came up my other array failed too. All the disks show online it just shows as failed. I have tried rebooting, turning everything off and back on. Nothing! Does anyone have any ideas? HELP!!!

Jim_C
08-03-2007, 09:50 AM
In disk management did you right click on the failed arrays and choose 'Reactivate'? See if that kicks it back online. It may have just hiccuped when you were fixing the original array and threw the second off line. It will tell you to run chkdsk, just click OK.

If you tried the above, what happens when you plug one array in at a time? Trying one channel then the other with bothe disk sets.

The fact that it crossed arrays to kick the other offline seems to be pointing to the MB.

Jim

Pete Draves
08-03-2007, 03:30 PM
If you use a drive that was in another raid and activate the drive it will knock our th raid that it used to be part of.
I always initiate drives on a different machine to avoid this problem.
Even on a different computer, the phantom drives will also show up in the manager,

I found out the hard way by having all the raid data dissapear. no chance of a comeback.

So I just reformatted and installed my most recent backup.

You do have a backup, don't you.

Save Early, Save Often!!
good luck
Pete

gymcoach
08-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Tried the reactivate but had to do it on each drive. that didn't come up on the raid. Nothing happened still lists as failed. I tried swappping the cables (from one channel to the other) and that did nothing. No i don't have this backed up - but i think that will be my next purchase. Is there any software that can help.

Pete Draves
08-03-2007, 05:40 PM
I use a lot of usb2 drives.
Inexpensive, I actually edit from them.
and they are large.
Pete