PDA

View Full Version : OT - reinstall OS X : impacts Boot Camp?

Phil
08-03-2007, 07:07 AM
Hi all,

OT, so apologies, but Google's not showing me anything helpful. OS X appears to have decided to completely ignore Video DVDs (even under new user accounts). Apple DVD Player won't play them and they are not visible in any file browser or on the desktop. VLC will play them, though.

Boot Camp however works with Video DVDs just fine.

I'm fairly tempted to try an OS reinstall before shipping the whole thing to an Apple centre to have the drive swapped out (this coincided with the infamous Apple drive firmware update which killed so many optical units in MBs and MBPs). What I am not sure about is whether Boot Camp is threatened in a reinstall.

Anyone had experience with this?

meshpig
08-06-2007, 12:53 AM
You'll lose the Bootcamp partition. but that only takes half an hour to set up.

M

John the Geek
08-14-2007, 07:26 AM
You'll lose the Bootcamp partition. but that only takes half an hour to set up.

M

No you wont.

If you format just the Mac OS X partition and do a reinstall - your windows partition will be fine, as if nothing happened.

However, if you wipe your entire drive you'll lose both.

Boot from your restore DVD. Choose the Mac drive as your install. It will tell you it has an OS already. Choose the options and do a format then install. The Windows drive (partition) will be fine.

Just don't run disk utility and erase the whole drive and you will be fine.

Phil
08-14-2007, 07:48 AM
I forgot I posted this. I did the reinstall dance the week before last. Went quite smoothly and was back up and running, with no impact on Boot Camp, very quickly (much faster than a Windows rebuild).

Sadly, since then, something ate my Windows folder so I have another reinstall dance to do. *mutter* I'm assuming that something went wonky with either VMWare or Parallels.

John the Geek
08-14-2007, 08:12 AM
Sadly, since then, something ate my Windows folder so I have another reinstall dance to do. *mutter* I'm assuming that something went wonky with either VMWare or Parallels.

If you have a nice backup drive, grab a copy of NetRestore. It's free, and with a free utility called NTSProgs it allows you to disk image your Windows partition for backup, then restore it later. I SysPrep mine because I deploy them, but I don't think you need to if you restore to the same machine you imaged.

Nice way to get back without a full reinstall.

meshpig
08-14-2007, 08:30 AM
John the Geek

"... No you wont. If you format just the Mac OS X partition and do a reinstall - your windows partition will be fine, as if nothing happened."

- No kidding, but when people say they're gonna send **** back to Apple and/or do a nasty reinstall... but, hey thanks.

-Both parallels and vmware are ...*'g useless when it comes to LW BTW.

M

Phil
08-14-2007, 08:48 AM
-Both parallels and vmware are ...*'g useless when it comes to LW BTW.

M

Maybe, but they save the occasional reboot, especially to assist friends/family running Windows on their machines when they need help. Instead of guessing what the stupid dialog is showing them, I can fire up a VM and help them without needing to kill off all my apps and reboot.

Also rather handy for those plugins that have no version available on Mac. Until Wine developers realise that they have rendered Wine completely useless for any professional OpenGL-using application, thanks to bug 2398, CrossOver Office has limited use (although I am waiting for a ZBrush 3 demo to see if that might run under it, thanks to no OpenGL use).

Phil
08-14-2007, 01:41 PM
If you have a nice backup drive, grab a copy of NetRestore. It's free, and with a free utility called NTSProgs it allows you to disk image your Windows partition for backup, then restore it later. I SysPrep mine because I deploy them, but I don't think you need to if you restore to the same machine you imaged.

Nice way to get back without a full reinstall.

Ah. Very nice. I didn't know that existed - thanks!

There's well over 2 TB of storage available here so I can easily commandeer some of it for a backup image :D

meshpig
08-15-2007, 03:49 AM
Maybe, but they save the occasional reboot, especially to assist friends/family running Windows on their machines when they need help. Instead of guessing what the stupid dialog is showing them, I can fire up a VM and help them without needing to kill off all my apps and reboot.

Also rather handy for those plugins that have no version available on Mac. Until Wine developers realise that they have rendered Wine completely useless for any professional OpenGL-using application, thanks to bug 2398, CrossOver Office has limited use (although I am waiting for a ZBrush 3 demo to see if that might run under it, thanks to no OpenGL use).

Not at all bagging them out. My problem is rather, whether or not to go LW9 for PC because I haven't heard much good about 9 for mac and put up with the boot to windows.

-Vmware was supposed to utilise the card too, to some degree, but having seen LW running on it ... it just goes ape-****.

m

Phil
08-15-2007, 09:53 AM
VMWare doesn't do OpenGL acceleration, unlike Parallels so LW will suffer. Parallels irritates me, though, because it manipulates the boot.ini file for Windows and this causes native Boot Camp to fail. VMware doesn't require this kind of concern.

Neither show particularly good performance though, based on 3DMark 2001 results - around 33% of what the hardware delivers under Windows, last time I checked.