PDA

View Full Version : Glass squirms under spotlight

Johnny
08-02-2007, 09:35 PM
I am using a spotlight with its light intensity cranked up pretty high (3000%) aimed at a glass in order to make the glass look more crystal and glassy. This spot only affects this glass, and on ly "Affect Specular" is checked.

even at enhanced extreme, the glinting on the glass squirms even tho the light and the glass are both stationery; only the cam is moving.

the glints are great, if only they'd not move! Any thoughts on how I can keep my sparkly glass, but have those sparkly highlights not move?

J

Sarford
08-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Make a texturemap. Your spec highlights will always move if you move your camera in relation to the object because it is a reflection. A texturemap could make a stationary 'hot spot'. It might look very unnatural though with a moving cam.

08-06-2007, 04:08 AM
Should be able to get your glass mutch 'realer' by getting the surface right than by playing silly wotsits with lighting!
getting a transparent reflective & refractive surface right in an animation is all about reflection & refraction, unless you want to fake light or photoshop every frame individually.

ChrisDC
08-12-2007, 02:05 PM
I don't have an answer to the specular highlight issue, but I just wanted to echo the above message that you are probably better off getting the surface attributes correct in the first place rather than cheating with the lights. If you want to make your surface appear more crystal like then try raising the index of refraction. I don't have the figures to hand, so don't quote me on this but I believe that lead crystal glass has an IOR of 1.55, as opposed to conventional glass which has an IOR of 1.5.

Johnny
08-13-2007, 11:56 AM
thank you for those responses... I do have my glass surfs pretty much the way I want them; they're glass surfs I use for most/all of my glass that perform pretty well.

This particular environment might be different bcs of the lighting or because of camera angles.

It's not to say that my surfs might need adjusting, but something tells me that my scene isn't providing what's needed to the glass to "help" it look glassy.

evironment plays a big role...

I will take a look at the refraction channel and play with that.

thank you!

J