PDA

View Full Version : hard time selecting bones

illusory
08-02-2007, 01:26 PM
I'm having a terrible time selecting and deselecting bones in layout. Is there a trick to this? Most of the time when i go to select a bone by clicking on it, it moves the bone which is already selected, which is a problem!

I also cannot find a way to DESELECT ALL BONES, which may make things easier. I've tried changing grid size, but it doesn't seem to help.

I'm re-learning rigging in LW 9.2 -- has this changed?

thanks for any advice,
NJ
PS the arrow keys won't help when there's a shift select involved, and too big a pain anyway when there are more than a few bones

Surrealist.
08-02-2007, 01:35 PM
I usually set up a Schematic window and select items from there, especially for rigging. I organize it in a logical fashion and color code everything so it is easy to see while animating.

illusory
08-02-2007, 02:09 PM
I think i will look into that, any tutorials on this you know of?

I think the basic problem is using a tablet -- with the mouse it is easier to just select. But I like the tablet, so maybe it's time to learn the schematic window -- i've been avoiding it for years...

thanks,
NJ

j__
08-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Tablets and bones don't really mix.

Also: right click: selects the current bone and children.

There's also a lasso select in Layout, I didn't know until recently, though I can't recall off hand how you get that up, it's something + left/right drag.

Deselect all bones I don't think you can really do in LW's world, usually.

If you are in the bones 'zone' something has to be selected. Same for Lights, Camera, Objects etc. Sometimes you can get it into a state where nothing is selected but it's not the norm.

The quickest way to deselect a batch of bones would be just to use the arrow key I think

Surrealist.
08-02-2007, 05:53 PM
I think i will look into that, any tutorials on this you know of?

I think the basic problem is using a tablet -- with the mouse it is easier to just select. But I like the tablet, so maybe it's time to learn the schematic window -- i've been avoiding it for years...

thanks,
NJ

Try the manual on that. I think you'll get the idea. A few little things off the bat. Rght Click - or equivilant gets you a context menu with rename and color options.

Click one item then Cltrl click another gets sets up parenting. Other than that it is prety simple. Just click and drag stuff arround to get it orginized.

SplineGod
08-02-2007, 07:50 PM
Selecting and deselecting bones is pretty straightforward.
Click on a bone with the Middle mouse button. Then you can use the same button to multiselect other bones. The first selection tells LW that you want to select bones and then the multiselection actually picks the bones.
You can also multiselect manually by holding down the shift key.

To deselect all your bones just click on something else.

I also use the built in tool called LW select group. I map it to a hotkey.
When I select a bone(s) and hit the hotkey it selects all the decendents automatically.

Heres an indepth DVD on rigging in LW9.
http://www.kurvstudios.com/lightwave/rigging.php

illusory
08-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Thanks for these tips, Larry. Actually, I'm working through your rigging videos right now. (I sent you an email needing the missing #14 video, BTW).

Excellent training this is. Finally gave me the courage to learn rigging in Lightwave.

I am mostly a modeler (coming from a sculpting and painting background) but needed to do some animation. I was using Messiah after attempting Lightwave rigging/animation back in LW7 (and a little in 8), and tearing some hair out..... I liked Messiah, especially how easy it was to do (and keep track of) expressions there, but ran up against limitations i did NOT like (such as no IK/FK blending, no weight maps). Plus it was a royal pain to bring the motion into LW and to integrate with the LW scene.

Determined to do my animation in LW, especially since the newer toolset came out in 8, I'm already finding it gives some key advantages over Messiah (at least for me), thanks to your video training. It's SO valuable to learn to avoid pitfalls before you screw up. Also, I'm finding i love the way LW9 works with IK/FK. Still need to tackle LW expressions, however...

Rigging:Definitive -- Highly recommended!
NJ
PS now if i can just get video #14...

SplineGod
08-04-2007, 01:08 AM
Thanks!
Glad to know the DVDs have helped out. Dont forget to use mine or KURVs support forums as well. I should have the missing file up for you to get via FTP this weekend. :)

Mr Rid
08-04-2007, 03:34 AM
I like the way bone selection works in Daz. A single-click can only select a bone, while a double-click within a mesh will select the object, although I think a 'hotkey+click' combo would be better to toggle bone vs object select mode. If your cursor is positioned over bones overlapping in the view, selection will favor the one closest to your POV. One bone at a time is highlighted as your cursor passes over them, so when the one you want to select is highlighted then you click to select it so you are never accidently selecting the wrong item.

illusory
08-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Larry, I notice you seem to be rotating or moving on all axes at once in your video (using standard move or rotate tool), and wondering how DO you do that?

Sorry if this is basic, but I can't find it anywhere..

NJ

SplineGod
08-04-2007, 11:35 PM
Select a bone or item and left click anywhere and it will rotate freely. You dont have to select the rotational handles except to rotate things in a precise way. :)