PDA

View Full Version : magic line?? help???

JeffrySG
08-01-2007, 10:15 PM
OK, I've been trying to use rounder on the edges of an object. It won't let me round one specific area. I was checking individual points and edges on the object (by using the edge bevel tool) and found this one area that creates an extra magic edge after the operation??? Where is this coming from? I've selected each point to see if I actually have two point there but I don't, and I've checked each edge to see if there are any doubled up edges but none show up in the info area.

First pic shows the an edge before the edge bevel.

Second pic shows the edge after the operation. See that extra 'magic floating' edge? I think this is what is keeping me from using rounder on that area. I even tried deleting that edge and then fixing up the corner, but when I run the tool again that same 'magic' edge appears.... What's going on???

and... I've tried dissolving that edge before hand, so I can try to reconnect the point and maybe clean it up, but the dissolve operation crashes LW every time on that edge.

Thanks for any help!
Jeff

JeffrySG
08-01-2007, 10:24 PM
OK, I ended up trying to add a point to the line by dividing it just to test it, and then I moved that point only to find that there was another line under it, so it was duplicated somehow... but if that is the case how come when I selected it with the lasso selection it only showed one line? should it have showed two lines selected?

either way it's working now, but I'm confused...

happy...

but confused...

oh well...

UnCommonGrafx
08-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Always go into wireframe mode to pick something like that. If you are in Texture mode it won't pick anything behind that it/you can't see.

JeffrySG
08-02-2007, 11:25 AM
^ok, I'll give that a try... I thought I did do it that way but I'm not sure... thx for the suggestion!

Surrealist.
08-02-2007, 01:27 PM
OK, I ended up trying to add a point to the line by dividing it just to test it, and then I moved that point only to find that there was another line under it, so it was duplicated somehow... but if that is the case how come when I selected it with the lasso selection it only showed one line? should it have showed two lines selected?

either way it's working now, but I'm confused...

happy...

but confused...

oh well...

If there was another line underneath, meaning you had duplicated geometry, this could explain the problems with Rounder.

JeffrySG
08-02-2007, 03:56 PM
If there was another line underneath, meaning you had duplicated geometry, this could explain the problems with Rounder.
yes, I'm sure that was the reason... but I was confused as to why when I selected that line, it only showed 1 line selected in the info area as compared to showing 2 lines selected.

When I lasso select that line (even in wireframe mode - I just tried) it only shows 1 line.... how could that be if when I divide the line there is another one underneath it???

This just makes it hard for me to find problem areas on a model if the selection info doesn't show the correct number of items...

Surrealist.
08-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Yeah I know. Sometimes I have 1 point polys and they are not in the stats window even. It does not happen that often but every now and again.