PDA

View Full Version : Extrude/Boolean troubles

King Rygar
08-01-2007, 06:10 AM
Ok, I'm back :stumped:

I am having trouble with Booleans... I basically traced a 2D image, then extruded it. That seemed to work ok after I got the poloygons flipped etc..
Then, I tried to do a boolean subtract from that very object I had just extruded from 2D. Doing so causes the polygons to go insane, not to mention it doesn't leave new faces inside the object like it normally does..

The only hint I've seen regards double-sided polygons, but I tried it both ways and I still have trouble!!! :help:

Sensei
08-01-2007, 01:18 PM
Show us screen-shot before/after using boolean..

Boolean does not work well with Sub-Patches, if you are using them..

Surrealist.
08-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Ok, I'm back :stumped:

I am having trouble with Booleans... I basically traced a 2D image, then extruded it. That seemed to work ok after I got the poloygons flipped etc..
Then, I tried to do a boolean subtract from that very object I had just extruded from 2D. Doing so causes the polygons to go insane, not to mention it doesn't leave new faces inside the object like it normally does..

The only hint I've seen regards double-sided polygons, but I tried it both ways and I still have trouble!!! :help:

If your either of your objects have non planar polygons that can cause problems too. In that case tripling the non planars can solve it.

King Rygar
08-02-2007, 07:59 AM
Ok, I checked for any non-planar polygons.....none...

I took screenshots of each phase of the operation I am attempting...still no luck. Any help is truly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Here's the pics:

JeffrySG
08-02-2007, 08:10 AM
Just some suggestions....

Just because you CAN have a huge n-gone like that doesn't mean you should... try connecting some verts. of those 'arms' before the boolean process...

I'd also maybe try doing a stencil and the just bridge the two sides... you can connect a few more of the verts to the circles before the bridge also.

hope this can help...
cheers!

King Rygar
08-02-2007, 08:11 AM
Here also is a wireframe screencap after the boolean subtract has been done..... Everything looks to be there, but look back at the smooth shade screencap in my last post and you will see what it looks like textured...

:stumped:

JeffrySG
08-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Just try connecting the verts at the beginning of each arm to create a few polys on each face (front and back) as compared to having that huge n-gon...

cagey5
08-02-2007, 10:19 AM
It'll also be easier to achieve if you boolean the hole before you extrude.

Sensei
08-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Here's the pics:

Problem with this kind of object is that polygon point list is just one per polygon going from 0 to point count-1.. And boolean can't generate polygon that would have two point list independed of second one (outside weird shape and internal circle like ring).. Probably even splitting this object in half at early beginning (before extruding) should be sufficient, just select two points on circle and press 'l' to connect them..

King Rygar
08-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the help, I got it to work!

I did JSG suggested, connected the points he mentioned, then tried to do the boolean before the extrude. No dice. Ctrl-Z and then I extruded first before the boolean subtract, and POOF! It worked!! I included a screecap of the object after it worked!

Thanks again, AND AGAIN:thumbsup: