PDA

View Full Version : Wonky procedurals

CrackWilding
07-31-2007, 02:23 PM
Hey all...

I'm getting some weird results when using procedurals in the bump channel. For example, the previews for marble1 and marble2 are blank. They appear to have some effect on the bump channel, but not much, even if I crank the channel up to like 1000%, and in any case, the results are pretty unpredictable.

Some of the other procedurals produce other weirdness -- STClouds' preview looks like a bunch of purple noise, and ripples looks kinda like a color wheel. This is only true in the bump channel -- everything looks as it always did in the other channels. And none of this seems permanent -- it comes and goes. I restarted and some things seem to work again, though marble and wood are both permanently blank apparently.

Maybe it's always been like this and I never noticed (I don't use procedural bumps much), but I don't think so. I'm using v9 and 10.4.8. Anyone else able to duplicate this behavior? Do I need to re-install?

brian.coates
07-31-2007, 05:10 PM
A screenshot would be interesting but it sounds like a 'delete and reinstall' is called for.

By 'delete' I mean completely remove anything even remotely related to LW.

CrackWilding
07-31-2007, 09:34 PM
Ask and ye shall receive:

http://saltydogdesign.com/gatech/Marble1.jpg

http://saltydogdesign.com/gatech/STClouds.jpg

Here's a peculiar thing -- I took these screenshots on my laptop, while when I reported the problem earlier it was on my desktop machine. Both were installed from the same DVD, but I rarely use it on my laptop. It's a bit hard for me to swallow the idea of the same corruption appearing on both machines spontaneously, so I'm wondering if there's something screwy with the DVD.

Thoughts?

toby
08-01-2007, 12:42 AM
That's just the OpenGL display, it has nothing to do with what it'll look like in the render. Welcome to 3D!

brian.coates
08-01-2007, 04:11 AM
That is weird.

Try downloading and installing the 9.2 update or the basic v9.0 install. If the installer data on the DVD is corrupt as you suggest then that's probably the cause of the problem right there.

CrackWilding
08-01-2007, 09:17 AM
That's just the OpenGL display, it has nothing to do with what it'll look like in the render. Welcome to 3D!

Not quite. The box should show a flat preview of the procedural. It works properly in other channels. Color for example:

http://saltydogdesign.com/gatech/MarbleColor.jpg

CrackWilding
08-01-2007, 09:18 AM
That is weird.

Try downloading and installing the 9.2 update or the basic v9.0 install. If the installer data on the DVD is corrupt as you suggest then that's probably the cause of the problem right there.

Yeah, I think I will install the update. It is most peculiar. Again, it's not something I often use -- I usually make my own bump maps -- but it always bugs me when things don't work right. I can't help but wonder what else is lurking under there...

brian.coates
08-01-2007, 07:31 PM
I can't help but wonder what else is lurking under there...

Ai lad, them far off shores be the realm of the mighty programmers and mischievous code monkeys. They speak in tongues that no sane man can grasp.

Best avoid looking too close at the wonders they make, lest ye be blinded by the many bright numbers they build with.

:D

CrackWilding
08-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Problem revisited: so the weird glitches have been spreading. This morning I had a kernel panic, followed by a long series of short freezes while working in modo. System logs indicate: Aug 3 10:33:58 Moore-G5 kernel[0]: Graphics chip error! Restarted.

So there you have it. I think my graphics card may be dying.

toby
08-03-2007, 08:58 PM
It's been doing this for years; your milage may vary.

I hope your machine comes out ok, but don't be surprised if you still see the OpenGL glitch!

CrackWilding
08-03-2007, 11:16 PM
Well, that's freaky. I've been doing it for years myself -- I started with Ray Dream Designer about 2000 and moved up to LW7.5 in 2002 or so. I've *never* noticed that before. Maybe my older machines didn't do it. On the other hand, there are large swaths of LW I rarely travel. I can't remember the last time I so much as launched Modeler, for example. modo is more my thing...

For the record, our IT guy came and swapped out video cards with one of the idle machines in my department. Most of the peculiarities went away, but the wood procedural is still blank in the bump channel. I suppose it is card-dependent. Go figure.

toby
08-03-2007, 11:21 PM
I do remember, at some point, seeing it for the first time. I got my G5 in '03, maybe it was then. Maybe it's an ATI thing, and doesn't happen with nVidia - ?