PDA

View Full Version : Layout : Object path

eFFeFFe
07-31-2007, 03:12 AM
Hi ... Is there some way to find the path (where it's located on HD or network) of an object in layout ?

tnx,
eF.

SplineGod
07-31-2007, 08:58 AM
Where was the object loaded from in the first place?
Check and see where your content directory is under preferences-----paths.
You can also check the name of the object in layout and use the search function in windows to find it.

eFFeFFe
08-01-2007, 01:47 AM
We have a strict usage of objects/scenes/images/... structured in (several :-) ) predefined directories per 3d project. Those 3d project are then all in one overall 'Jobs' directory. We put the content directory path of Lighwave to that overall 'Jobs' directory so that object are easily found back. We don't want to change the contect directory path to the directory of the 3d project, because then when we want to work on another 3d project we always have to change the content directory also (as what I have learned from working with the content directory path).

Because of placing the content directory in that way, we could have the problem that, when duplicating a scene from 3d project "A" to a new 3d project "B" (and also it's corresponding object/images/... that are needed), in the duplicated scene (3d project "B"), objects are loaded in from the 3d project "A". In most cases we are aware which objects where linked wrong, but to actually test this, I was looking for some way to detect in Layout where a certain object is placed on the HD. I was thinking there was maybe an lscript for this ? Or that via Lscript this can be traced (already going thru the lscript manual).

Using the search function in layout is a bit too much time-consuming for us, because some object appear more then once on the HD.

grtz,
eF.

Chilton
08-01-2007, 07:07 AM
Hi,

You can always open the scene file in a text editor and look for the paths in there.

-Chilton

eFFeFFe
08-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Yes, that's indeed a way to quite quickly find the path, tnx! ... trying to see also if the path can be read out by an lscript and prompted in layout itself.

grtzz,
eF.

eFFeFFe
08-04-2007, 02:55 AM
It was quite easy the get the path of a loaded object via Lscript and print it out in layout. This script can show the path of multiple selected objects. If there are lights, nulls, bones, camera's (or other non objects items) selected, the path is not stated, just the name. It's a very basic script (no dialog, just an info window), it can probably be made more advanced (show multiple selected objects path in one window, ...). I attached it to this thread.

grtz,
eF.