PDA

View Full Version : Attaching a Light to an Object

AmigaNewTek
07-30-2007, 08:48 AM
Hi to all,

hi need to attach a light to an object (i.e a light to a motor like).

I need, moreover, to move the light together with the object.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you.

Lightwolf
07-30-2007, 09:01 AM
motion options of the light-> select the bike as the parent.
Make sure "Parent in Place" in the general options is off, or just move the light to the position where you want it to be.

Cheers,
Mike

Sil3
07-30-2007, 09:02 AM
What about...simply parent the Light to the Bike? It might work...

v1u1ant
07-30-2007, 09:09 AM
OR
Cant you create a light in Modelor attached to an abject or use part of an object as a light? Luxigon or something its called? isnt that easier than setting up the light in Layout, parenting it etc.?

I mean ive never used that, and keep meaning to remember to use it, but keep forgetting its there.

SplineGod
07-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Actually Sils and Lightwolfs suggestions are the easiest. Luxigons are better IMO for setting up large arrays of lights.

AmigaNewTek
07-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Sorry. Maybe my question could be simplistic. But i've already tried some of the suggested option, without good result. I'm a beginner, and for sure i will try all of your suggestions. Luxigon seem to be hard to control. My objects (two spaceship motors) are dividen into 32 polygons each, and if i attach a luxygon to this objects, i get an array of 64 lights, while i just want to obtain two propeller light.

thank you, dudes

:)

AmigaNewTek
07-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Arrrrrghhhhhh!!!! Just noticed you are Larry shultz. Congratulation for your great tutorials. I've seen some of your tutorials. Congratulation. You are a great tutor.

thank you.

SplineGod
07-30-2007, 04:29 PM
LOL! Thanks :)
Can you post a picture of the engines?

Sensei
07-30-2007, 08:10 PM
See.. You're famous ;)

My objects (two spaceship motors) are dividen into 32 polygons each, and if i attach a luxygon to this objects, i get an array of 64 lights, while i just want to obtain two propeller light.

Sounds like you have not selected polygon prior using Add Luxigons.. so it thought that you want every polygon in the object become luxigon..

byte_fx
07-31-2007, 09:53 AM
When I use luxigons I usually make them in a seperate modeler layer and parent them in modeler (layer settings).

Then, after converting to lights in layout I replace that layer with a null (replace options).

Works well for this type situation as you could center a temp poly over each exhaust (luxigons place the light at the center of poly).

But for only two lights - place one where you want it, parent it in place, key frame it, mirror it and key frame the new one.

Or clone it, multiply the (presumeably) x position by -1 and key frame it.

That's one of the really neat things about LW - it seems there are always several ways to do something.

byte_fx

AmigaNewTek
08-01-2007, 07:36 AM
This is the mdel of the two motors in modeler

I've managed to attach the luxigons, but there must be a bug in this procedure. However, ive not obtained the desidered result.

Sensei
08-01-2007, 07:53 AM
Honestly I don't see any motors on your screen-shots.. ;)

If you want to have light visible, not just casting light to surrounding geometry, you need to use Light Properties window, Volumetric Light.. This will make light beams visible on render.. But it's very slow rendering, not well optimized part of LW.. I even thought about making my own Volumetric Light plug-in that would render hundered times faster than built-in..

AmigaNewTek
08-02-2007, 03:41 AM
Sigh!

What a shame. You doesn't see any motors?

:cry:

yale
08-03-2007, 03:05 AM
Don't give up, everyone starts somewhere! ;)
Maybe you should think about a simple glow on the surface of the engine.

JamesCurtis
08-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Hey Sensei,

If you have an idea for a plugin, I'm with you 1000%. Start developing it, man!!