PDA

View Full Version : Keyboards for Macs?

eidetiken
07-29-2007, 05:32 PM
I am in need of a new keyboard, a couple of keys have stopped working.

Anyone try the IceKey from MacAlly?

What other keyboards are there for Macs?

Captain Obvious
07-29-2007, 05:55 PM
I'd just buy any old USB keyboard. There's really no such thing as a "Mac" keyboard.

BigHache
07-29-2007, 07:01 PM
I have the iKeySlim from Macally. It's decent. I can't say the same about their Ice Mouse.

Any USB keyboard will work. If you're doing any typing then you might want to feel a particular keyboard first.

nolan
07-29-2007, 07:46 PM
Had my mouse die recently and so went to CompUSA to look for a replacement. Ended up picking up the Logitech S350 wireless combo. Really like this and the price($80.00) and reliability has been hard to beat.:)

brian.coates
07-29-2007, 09:08 PM
There's always the standard Apple keyboards, wired and Bluetooth (if you have it).

Never felt the need for a custom keyboard myself as the one that comes 'in the box' has always worked well enough for my needs.

hazmat777
07-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Here's one that looks interesting...

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=078

Chilton
07-29-2007, 10:36 PM
I have a Microsoft keyboard on my G5 at home. It's pretty good. That laser thing looks cool, too. But my favorite keyboards are the ones on the MacBook Pros (and the PowerBooks before that). I really hope these rumors of a new Mac keyboard are true.

It's hard to press those big keys with my dainty fingers.

-Chilton

eidetiken
07-30-2007, 02:45 AM
I decided to try out the MacAlly IceKey. Apparently it uses low profile scissor switches like a laptop keyboard. Plus it comes in black, my Apple keyboard seems to attract and collect dust bunnies and is hard to keep clean.

lowjackson
07-30-2007, 05:36 AM
If this is true…

http://www.engadget.com/photos/is-this-the-new-imac-keyboard/328166/

… it could be easier to keep clean!

toby
08-01-2007, 12:55 AM
If this is true…

http://www.engadget.com/photos/is-this-the-new-imac-keyboard/328166/

… it could be easier to keep clean!
Must be a Mac keyboard. There's no gaps between the Function keys - which is the way I find F9...

But I actually prefer the Mac keyboards regardless. Smoothest, most consistent keystrokes. You don't hear creaking plastic and it never rocks from one corner like a chair with one short leg.

kopperdrake
08-01-2007, 07:43 AM
Hmm - I have an issue with my return key not depressing if I catch it on the lower right corner (my hand-eye ain't the best ;) )...in which case it *does* creak :) Plus I reckon I must molt more eyelashes than anyone else as my keyboard catches them :)

Wouldn't you have problems with the eject button if you buy a normal USB keyboard though?

eidetiken
08-01-2007, 01:06 PM
If a disk is stuck the eject button will sometimes eject the disk after you drag the disk to the trash and the disk icon vanishes but the disk remains inside. The IceKey supports the Mac eject button, it also has two USB 1 ports, one on each end of the keyboard, instead of the back. I used those ports for my LW dongle on the Mac keyboard, but not comfortable with the dongle sticking out the end where it can get knocked around when moving my keyboard.

Wished that new iMac keyboard was out now but I am liking the IceKey. It is the closest thing to a MacBook Pro keyboard for desktops I have come across. I do a lot of typing and full size keys make my hands sore, actually any keyboard does, but I can type for longer periods on the MacBook than I could on the iMac, with fewer mistakes. It all comes down to personal preferences.

Think I might have you beat in the shedding department, I sometimes wonder if there is a dog sneaking in my home.

toby
08-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Hmm - I have an issue with my return key not depressing if I catch it on the lower right corner (my hand-eye ain't the best ;) )...in which case it *does* creak :)
I've had that, my enter key was sticking. It was just dirty, I popped it off with a butterknife, cleaned it and put a thin film of grease on it - that was six months ago...

tribbles
08-02-2007, 03:25 PM
I had a problem with a USB wireless keyboard/mouse combo on my mac.

It would work okay for a while, and then freeze for a bit. Then, one monitor would turn off, and then the other, and then they would both turn on again, and the machine would continue as if nothing had happened.

As soon as I went back to the Apple keyboard/mouse, it never did it again...

cresshead
08-05-2007, 10:34 AM
looks very 70's-80's...retro keyboards!..designed by casio!

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/07/imac_brushed_aluminum_keyboard_full.jpg