PDA

View Full Version : Camera Jitter

MovieTom
07-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Had a plugin in long ago that would generate camera jitter when an object hit a particular location. Like a heave monster walking causing a slight earth tremble. I can't seem to locate this in LW9.2. Anyone know if its still there?

Also I have not tried it... but will plugin's from 5.5 work with 9.2? I bought a CD collection years ago and just found them and was wondering if they might work. They were ones that Newtek put out.

Thanks!
Tom

cagey5
07-29-2007, 05:06 PM
It may be Jolt that you're after. It's a modifier that you can add from the properties panel of the camera or any of the objects. As regards the various plug-ins, it's difficult to say, but I'd rather go looking for plugs as I need them rather than build up a collection with the view that I may one day.

SplineGod
07-29-2007, 06:10 PM
Relativity is also capable of triggered events.

Dave Jerrard
08-24-2007, 05:35 PM
I've yet to find any reason to use something like Jolt to do this when it's so much faster to just key the motion itself. If I need some fairly constant unsteadiness to motion I tend to go directly to Textured Channel. Most of the time I just use the Turbulence texture, though other textures are handy for other effects - Checkerboard and Dots are great for a steady stepped motion, like you'd use for blinking lights. I've tried Noisy Channel and found it far too limiting. Then I used Noisy Channel 2 for a short time, and found much better but it has a habit of creating too many flat areas, which can leave motions looking too mechanical at times. I've gone back to Textured Channel because it has the most control, and can be layered.

For the example above, I'd probably place Textured Channel on the H, P, and B channels, and start off with a Value texture with a value of -1. On top that that I'd add Turbulence, with an Texture Value of 1. I'd leave the texture size at 1m and increase the Frequencies to around 5, and depending on how violent I want the jitter, I'd modify the Small Power; 0.5 to 0.8 for very jagged effects and 0.2 to 0.4 for smoother jitter (which looks more like Noisy Channel but without the flat areas). On top of this, I'd add another Value texture, this time with a value of 0%. The lowermost value layer reduces the overall graph by 1, so if the graph originally had a value of 10 on a frame, it's not got a value of 9 (assuming the Scale setting on the GE itself hasn't been changed). The Turbulence can increase the value up to 1, so the total variance is not a range of -1 to 1. Without the lower Value layer, the range would be 0 to 1 and the modified graph would always have higher values. This arrangement 'centers' the modification on the original graph.

The top Value texture is my control. I click the [E] button for the Layer Opacity here and use that to control how much of the textures below affect the graph. If it's 100%, then the graph is only being modified by that top layer because it's opaque; the lower layer are not seen and have no effect. Since its value is 0, it doesn't actually modify the graph at all. As I lower the Opacity, the layer below start to have a greater effect. For maximum effect, I just drop the opacity of this layer to 0%. Since I can edit multiple graphs at the same time, I can put three of these, one for each rotation (or movement) channel into a graph and edit all three at once. When I need a jolt, I just create a key before the jolt at 100% and then key again a few frames later at a lower value.

I've been using this method for everything that I want to have a slight variance to and it's been working flawlessly for years. It's definitely one of those tools that's overlooked.

He Who Has Used Dots To Set Weapon Fire Rates.