PDA

View Full Version : 'groups'

cresshead
07-29-2007, 10:17 AM
...oh i wish!.....

is there a work around to make groups in lightwave layout?
example:
a lampost model and 2 spot lights that i can clone and place in a street scene

i know maybe luxigons is the way forward but just having a 'group' command would SO help..esp being able to open change then close a group just like in corel draw or 3dsmax...

maybe when newtek moves forward with 9.3 or whatever thay can add groups as well as sub objects and instancing...

siggraph??:D

Sensei
07-29-2007, 10:32 AM
Is it not Null job? You make Null, parent object, parent light.. Clone Null, and childs are cloned as well..

Sensei
07-29-2007, 10:58 AM
Since LW v9.2 when you click on little button on the right side of object name, selection set window is opened.. Select multiple items there, then click on Selection > Create Set.. it's grouped thogether.. You can then select such selection (it's like activating the all items one by one, but in defined by you order) and move, rotate or scale simultaneously..

SplineGod
07-29-2007, 11:18 AM
I typically use the scene editor and the flyout panels as Sensei mentioned to do this. Its come in handy quite a few times especially when I want to render certain groups of things using F11.

cresshead
07-29-2007, 11:22 AM
thanks for the null solution and the selection set option too..both 'work' but as neverko wrote are less elegant/adaptable/ergonomic in daya to day use than a 'group' and so i'll still hold out hope of lightwave finally taking on windows/mac type basics such as groups in the near future!

cresshead
07-29-2007, 11:30 AM
i surpose flipping between max and lightwave i DO miss some of the tools i take for granted over in max when back in lightwave..abit like expecting a left viewport in xsi [never going to happen!]

i look forward to new capabilities in lightwave in the near future until then these workarounds will get me thru some current projects...sometimes it's best to put you 'lightwave head on' and not look to use lightwave like 3dsmax!