PDA

View Full Version : Method to slice up a model ???

Wolvster
07-29-2007, 05:50 AM
Ok, for starters I've been browsing these Boards for a VERY long time and love the Community here.
ALWAYS seems that there's guys more then willing to help out and I { being new myself } DEFINATELY appreciate that...:thumbsup:

So, first time poster so be gentle... :help:

I am a " real world " modeler by trade who is SLOWLY getting into the
whole Virtual model building world . It's a slow process, but as they say, you learn by DOING..
Anyway, I have several models that I have been toying with
in Lightwave and have run into a snag ? I have been wanting to learn for the longest time how to
" slice " up a model into equal sections to replicate in the real world. Essentially, I would use these
" slices " as templates for creating the shape of the object.

Lets say for example, a custom made Starship WARP NACELLE.
Now, I want to slice it into sections from font to back then
recreate it in the real world. Problem is, after a
TON of reading I cannot find any sort of function that will
EVENLY SLICE UP a model ??

Is there a plug in available out there for just such a purpose ?

Again, THANKKS for any help anyone may have.. :thumbsup:

prospector
07-29-2007, 06:21 AM
Bandsaw pro will if polys are even to start.
Knife will manualy if you use the grid as a template

Trevor
07-29-2007, 06:29 AM
Or Julienne,
found in multiply, subdivide, more, Julienne.

SplineGod
07-29-2007, 11:12 AM
If I understand you correctly you want individual slices out of your object and not to simply cut in new geometry.
Based on that, put your object in layer1 in modeler. In layer2 create a stack of polygons along the axis of your object. You can create the stack of polys using array, rail clone or just do it manually. Now make layer2 your current foreground layer and layer1 the current background layer. Hit shift + c and use the CORE function. This should create your slices that are the shape of your objects cross section where each of the polys are.

archijam
07-29-2007, 11:39 AM
Can you be more explicit of how you want to go about 're-creating' this in the real world as you mentioned?

For example, if you want to generate autocad section lines, or a bunch of EPS's, then the translation process is going to be an equally difficult hurdle, tackled a different way depending on the required result.

j.

SplineGod
07-29-2007, 12:21 PM
Once you have the sliced up cross sections they can be separated. Each section could be printed out and used as a template.
You can also export your 3D object in STL format for 3d prototyping machines or send to a place like this:
http://www.3darttopart.com/index.php

Wolvster
07-29-2007, 02:31 PM
Many, MANY thanks for the replies guy's ! :boogiedow

What I am trying to do is pretty much what
SplineGod is talking about.. I'm making TEMPLATES
that I can then align and stack together to create
specific shapes... I've been making real world
models for YEARS but trying to create something
with this method would definitely speed things up
construction wise...

AGAIN, THANKS for all the input !! :D

SplineGod
07-29-2007, 02:42 PM
It should be possible to automate much of this. Once you have the slices you might be able to write something in lscript to save out and/or render each slice separately.