PDA

View Full Version : Texture Memory

Andyjaggy
07-27-2007, 04:06 PM
I have a large scene that has a lot of texture maps in it and I am beginning to worry about running out of memory. So my question is will LW use less memory if I convert certain texture to grayscale instead of RGB?

Also will it make any difference if I have the textures as tiff vs jpegs? I am thinking that LW converts the images to some sort of format it uses and that a tiff and jpeg of the same resolution will take the same amount of memory. Am I wrong or right?

Lightwolf
07-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Basically:
Yes.
No.
Have a look at this for a more detailed explanation: http://www.lightwiki.com/Optimised_image_use (saved me from too much copy & paste ;) ).

Cheers,
Mike

Andyjaggy
07-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Okay so I think I was right in thinking that it doesn't matter if your image is compressed as a jpeg it will be uncompressed upon use in Lightwave and therefore take up just as much memory as say a tiff image.

However if the image isn't RGB or is pallete mapped or grayscale then Lighwave will only need one channel as opposed to three and it will therefore take much less memory?

So do save memory with grayscale images can I just convert it to a grayscale jpeg in photoshop or do I actually need to create a pallete mapped image? Or should I just buy your plugin :D

sean hargreaves
07-27-2007, 06:52 PM
Hey Andy, I don't know what I'm talking about but what about UVing some surfaces? Is it for the Jerusalem model?

Andyjaggy
07-27-2007, 07:08 PM
UV' still require images :) Yes it's for the jerusalem model.

vadermanchild
07-27-2007, 07:08 PM
try indexed colours saved as 8bit targas.

The quality reduction is smaller than you may think.

Lightwolf
07-28-2007, 04:19 AM
So do save memory with grayscale images can I just convert it to a grayscale jpeg in photoshop or do I actually need to create a pallete mapped image? Or should I just buy your plugin :D
Either way.
The advantage of greyscale is that the mip-maps will only have one channel as well, while for palettized images they are likely to be 24bit.

You could of course get the plugin as well, but if you don't have the immediate need and can get by using trickery as you mentioned, there is no need to.

Cheers,
Mike