PDA

View Full Version : 3D World Top 10 3D Programs

robk
07-26-2007, 10:58 PM
I picked up a copy of 3D World to thumb through while waiting for my wife at Chapters bookstore. On the title page it said something about the top 10 3D packages.
So I look for the article and they list Blender as #1 and FLASH????? as #2.
Flash? How many hi res Architectural renders have been done with flash. DUH

Who writes this crap. Thank goodness the magazine wasn't sealed in a Plastic bag like it used to be here. If I would have bought it for that article i would have gone ballistic.

By the way I think Lightwave was listed as #6. Down form # 4 last year because Blender and Flash were not in the race last year.
They claim some outrageous number of Blender downloads and I say so what. Any fool can download a free program. Make your living based on renders produced from that program and I might start to listen.

By the way Truespace was rated higher than lightwave also (I better jump on the Truespace bandwagon) and I'm not sure if Maya even made the top ten.

I only browsed the mag for a few minutes so i might not be 100% accurate.

Needless to say I picked up a copy of HDRI magazine which at least doesn't look like it was put together by someone on speed. ( I have purchased many computer mags form the UK over the years and have always wondered if there is some kind of contest over there between publishers to see how many fonts can be put on a page and how the articles blend with the advertising so much you don't know what you are reading. They kind of make MTV productions look like something for the Over 60 crowd)

Not trying to Flame the brits here just a general comment about most UK computer magazines I have seen and purchased over the years.

Stooch
07-26-2007, 11:00 PM
they use the same design philosophy for cars too :thumbsup:

IMI
07-26-2007, 11:22 PM
Truespace?
Just reading that word makes my head ache and my eyes get all twitchy, as I flash back and mentally attempt to decipher hieroglyphics which I somehow know are meant to represent simple functions better described with simple words... :D

Nicolas Jordan
07-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Ya, I read that article too. I would have to agree that there wasn't much common sense or logic that went into writing that article. Flash is in no way a 3D animation program but it still somehow manages to become part of some 3D industry statistics in a magazine called 3D World of all things. It seems they just needed something to write about to help fill the magazine. I would guess that well over half the people that download Blender rarely if ever use it myself included.

robk
07-26-2007, 11:36 PM
Ya, I read that article too. I would have to agree that there wasn't much common sense or logic that went into writing that article. Flash is in no way a 3D animation program but it still somehow manages to become part of some 3D industry statistics in a magazine called 3D World of all things. It seems they just needed something to write about to help fill the magazine. I would guess that well over half the people that download Blender rarely if ever use it myself included.

But wait!!!!!!! I went to adobe's flash page and look what I found. (see jpg)
Maybe if I made the Button look like a building and then YES YES I could make the button holes windows and the thread through the button holes could be wind blowing through the windows. Yikes it boggles the mind.
Now I can see why it is the #2 3D program out there.

OH NO!!! I just looked at the clipped jpg image again and you have to create the animation in After affects and then embed it in a flash movie. OH well back to the drawing board.

gatz
07-27-2007, 03:12 AM
There are 10 3D programs?

Seriously, Flash is more of a delivery system that anything else. And an actual participation in realworld production should come into consideration. But we know how that gets calcualted.

rg

archijam
07-27-2007, 03:57 AM
I have a small apartment with no dishwasher, and therefore often use Flash to do the dishes. Very versatile program that one.

I disagree with the rank of Blender though - the name is misleading. Still haven't found a use for it ...

j.

kopperdrake
07-27-2007, 04:01 AM
they use the same design philosophy for cars too :thumbsup:

Well seeing as though the design director for Ford is a Brit I guess you've got a point ;)

StereoMike
07-27-2007, 04:10 AM
They even have a philosophy for designing cars? That's more than I expected.
Hey I know no other civilized country which had these 3 wheelers on the street till the 80ies.
http://www.ericgar.com/wordpress-2.1.2/uploads/2007/04/reliantrobin.JPG

Matt
07-27-2007, 06:44 AM
Wasn't it based on downloads?

colkai
07-27-2007, 07:15 AM
Hey I know no other civilized country which had these 3 wheelers on the street till the 80ies.

Ahh, but you're facts are wrong!
They may have stopped making them then, but trust me, they are still on the roads, I see one every day. :p

On the up side, you could life them up by the front and turn 'em around hehe and being fibreglass, no rust spots on the bodywork :)

Was a time, you could drive one if you had a motorbike license as they came in under the 'trike' category.

Anyone remember the short lived "Bond Bug"? :)

JeffrySG
07-27-2007, 07:17 AM
Wasn't it based on downloads?
If it was then I think one of Paris Hilton's jpgs is the #1 3d app! hahahah

Just wondering if Wings3D was on there, btw...

...and if it was based on downloads it should have been only using free or opensource apps. I know there are tons of opensource apps that I've downloaded. Many I've used, and some I've never touched.

Iain
07-27-2007, 07:37 AM
If I remember rightly, it was based on the number of people using them so obviously a free download would be top. Stupid statistics, nothing more.

Darth Mole
07-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Needless to say I picked up a copy of HDRI magazine which at least doesn't look like it was put together by someone on speed. ( I have purchased many computer mags form the UK over the years and have always wondered if there is some kind of contest over there between publishers to see how many fonts can be put on a page and how the articles blend with the advertising so much you don't know what you are reading. They kind of make MTV productions look like something for the Over 60 crowd)

Not trying to Flame the brits here just a general comment about most UK computer magazines I have seen and purchased over the years.

Huh? This must be a different mag to the 3D World I know, which is elegantly deisgned and usually very well produced. I used to buy 3D mags from the US which looked like they were made in Word with clipart.

kopperdrake
07-27-2007, 08:04 AM
Anyone remember the short lived "Bond Bug"? :)

Or 'wedgie' as we liked to call it. I'd give my back teeth for one of those! Piece of cheese on wheels :D

http://www.bondbug.com/

jnddepew
07-27-2007, 08:22 AM
for lightwaves sake i'm glad maya didn't make the list, but i really can't believe that F F FFLLLLLAAAAASSSSHHHH SH S was number 2 because that completely doesn't make sense. flash isn't even a 3d program although you can do some 3d stuff with it.

I sort of understand the blender thing though because they must have caclulated some of it's merit with how many people had it. actually blender is quite good. it has a fluid simulator which works quite well and lightwave doesn't even have a fluid simulator. it's also free, while most programs around that quality are in the thousands. i haven't got it yet although i plan to but i know its easy of use and speed is below lightwave, however, it has some stuff lightwave doesn't have and its FREE. so i can understand why they put it at the top of the list.

however, lightwave definitely should have been higher and when they made that list I don't think they had the quality of the product very much in mind so no one should put any stock in it in my opinion.

Matt
07-27-2007, 09:52 AM
If I remember rightly, it was based on the number of people using them so obviously a free download would be top. Stupid statistics, nothing more.

Exactly!

zapper1998
07-27-2007, 11:20 AM
I agree...

Ok what did i agree to..???

adamredwoods
07-27-2007, 11:46 AM
What!?

Photoshop is the number one 3D tool because it can make.... drop shadows! In real-time!

And it wasn't listed!

jnddepew
07-27-2007, 06:20 PM
this is a joke, right?

lardbros
07-28-2007, 06:47 AM
Come on... i agree those stats are just ridiculous... but HDRI being a nicer layout than 3dworld???

3Dworld atleast looks like a professional publication, HDRI, despite being more LW friendly and having some great tutorials reads more like a Fanzine than a magazine. Maybe it's one of those US/Canada and UK cultural divide things, but 3dworld looks lovely to me. Yeah, they do have about 5 fonts per page, but atleast they are nice fonts. HDRI uses the most ridiculous page layouts sometimes and the images etc kinda look a bit poo sometimes.

Anyway, the article they had on Texture Baking using the Baking Camera was truly one of the best i've seen in any mag... work of genius, and the final example was sooooo nice!

They are both ok in their own right! and come on... the Aston Martin is a british design, they are lovely looking cars. (Although i think the new design guru for them is from the Netherlands or something... but is trained here in good ol' Blighty)

How about we all leave the designing of cars down to the Germans, they are the only truly good car manufacturers/designers anyway!

kopperdrake
07-28-2007, 10:31 AM
How about we all leave the designing of cars down to the Germans, they are the only truly good car manufacturers/designers anyway!

Have to do it again - designer of the S-Class, Steve Mattin (Brit)

Shame we just can't *make* our own cars ;)

robk
07-28-2007, 04:27 PM
Come on... i agree those stats are just ridiculous... but HDRI being a nicer layout than 3dworld???

I agree HDRI isn't great for layout. It's the content in HDRI that I like. I agree that the surface baking article was great. I have spent hundreds of dollars on UK computer mags over the years, so the layouts never stopped me buying before. The top 3d program article was not worthy of the magazine though.

Clockmaster
07-29-2007, 05:01 AM
Blender the best software? They have ever tried to render some work with a deadline on THAT?!

StereoMike
07-29-2007, 09:00 AM
Have to do it again - designer of the S-Class, Steve Mattin (Brit)

Hehe, my fav sportscar is designed by a Belgian (Luc Donkerwolke).
And it belongs somehow to Audi (I guess they own the manufacturer).

:D

mike

v1u1ant
07-30-2007, 08:03 AM
My favorite sportscar designer has never really been taken seriously by the car industry. Luigu Colani.

Lightwolf
07-30-2007, 08:10 AM
Luigu Colani.
Erm, but was he ever taken seriously by anybody? ;)

(except for the 70ies, but I assume this may be connected to the consumption to certain more or less illegal substances...).

*ducks for cover* :D

Cheers,
Mike

StereoMike
07-30-2007, 09:24 AM
Colani? I always had the feeling he tries to hard to be an artist. Of course, he has his own style, but I personally don't like it (at all). Too much bubbles.

mike

Steamthrower
07-30-2007, 08:46 PM
I'll stick with my Cinefex subscription and leave 3D World to the rest of you.

I use Flash on a daily basis. I also use LW on a daily basis. I get paid for using both of them. I use Flash to embed 3d animations. But Flash in a 3D category? That's like putting Microsoft Word in the ''Top 10 Novels'' list.

Morons. Now I'll *never* subscribe to 3D World.

Steamthrower
07-30-2007, 08:51 PM
And by the way, I have to brag here: my car is a 1984 Mercedes-Benz 300D sedan. I love it. Looks great with an Apple logo stuck on the rear window. I love German engineering...

StereoMike
07-31-2007, 12:33 AM
Nice pimp ride inigo ;)
Good taste!

btw. My fav sportscar is a murcielago. (just in case someone wondered what Luc Donkerwolke designed).

No, I don't own one. Would I write in this forum and make money by sitting in a dark room and staring on two screens?
Hm, I wonder how a typical day in a Spamkings life look like.

I still drive an Audi Cabrio, but I think I have to change it for a diaper bomber sooner or later. We bought the car before we knew we'll be three :)
And plans are to be four, so *sigh* good bye 6 cylinders...

mike

DiedonD
07-31-2007, 07:45 AM
Let me get this straight

1) Blender
2) Flash...
6) LW

Nah, I think basically theyve mistakenly have presented the list in the mag in reverse order... Thats all.

And perhaps other majour apps are on number 9, or even XSI is perhaps number 10, so it all now makes sense see. :)

kopperdrake
07-31-2007, 08:15 AM
Classic merc there Inigo :thumbsup: Those things just seem to go forever!

I have to admit to liking German engineering - they never seem to skimp on time at that stage which means their cars, with some care, last forever! Here's my ride...she's no show queen, it's my daily driver - '69 T2 - just under 300,000 miles on her chassis

StereoMike
07-31-2007, 08:35 AM
Wow, you really take care for her. In Germany these are called Bulli.
Really the only car you would chose to go to the coast and kite or surf.

mike

ShawnStovall
07-31-2007, 09:24 AM
Would someone mind posting the list?:santa:

Steamthrower
07-31-2007, 06:50 PM
Great bus, kopperdrake!

And yes, since I don't subscribe to 3D World (and now never will), it would be nice to know what the list actually was.

Are there really that many 3D programs? Maya, 3DS Max, Lightwave, Cinema4D, XSI, Houdini, Blender...Truespace...Anim8or...

dugg
08-01-2007, 12:54 AM
I still drive a Hillman! In Canada it's a rarity to be sure. BTW this year is the 100th anniversary of the first Hillman. I have a 3D model of the first one on my website somewhere as a VR.... it think it is at:

whirlygigproductions.com/HILLMAN/1907VR01.mov

kopperdrake
08-01-2007, 07:50 AM
Thanks guys :) She managed a Europe trip last year but we're sticking to the UK this year 'til I can get a new engine in to her. She deserves it - hoping to get to the coast sometime this year (Devon) but we're as far inland as you can possibly get on this island!

You have one of those dugg! How long were they made for? Beautiful :D I just love to see old cars on the road :D

lardbros
08-01-2007, 08:06 AM
Thanks guys :) She managed a Europe trip last year but we're sticking to the UK this year 'til I can get a new engine in to her. She deserves it - hoping to get to the coast sometime this year (Devon) but we're as far inland as you can possibly get on this island!

You have one of those dugg! How long were they made for? Beautiful :D I just love to see old cars on the road :D

Ooh, i'm from devon... where abouts are you going? The surfing hotspots of the North or the nice hills and moors of the mid to south? Im from the North near Croyde and Woolacombe... hmmm, lovely beaches! Love the V-Dub love those classic campers!

dugg
08-01-2007, 08:44 AM

Mine is a '64 here ('63 in the UK) and near the end of it true Rootes car company, before Chrysler got involved. The first was made in 1907 as in the link to the model (just to keep it on topic...)

dugg
08-01-2007, 08:55 AM
I tried to change to a bigger pic of the 1907 but it said it took too long or something so here is the original photo I modeled from and the result.

kopperdrake
08-18-2007, 05:47 PM
Ooh, i'm from devon... where abouts are you going? The surfing hotspots of the North or the nice hills and moors of the mid to south? Im from the North near Croyde and Woolacombe... hmmm, lovely beaches! Love the V-Dub love those classic campers!

Hehe - Woolacombe's our usual spot (a few friends are/were in to surfing - I suck at it ;) ), North Morte Farm's perfect :D My mate got married in the Red Barn a few years ago - that was a stunning weekend, some other mates came down from Birmingham and played there on the night and the locals all poured in, sun set over the beach whilst we played footy and drank wine.

Love that place, but like South Devon too, just more memories in the north :D

Dugg - beaut car :thumbsup:

akademus
08-20-2007, 12:34 AM
Yeah, the are quite crappy mag. In one of the previous issues they tested tablets and gave genius higher rank than wacom (???) and omit to even mention existence of one of the most popular intous3 models and that would be 6x8" one.
Pure crap...

Iain
08-20-2007, 03:55 AM
Hey Akdemus, do you still keep in touch with Pliars?

DogBoy
08-20-2007, 04:48 AM
Hehe - Woolacombe's our usual spot (a few friends are/were in to surfing - I suck at it ;) ),

Woolacombe is lovely. Went there at Easter. I suck at surfing, but I still give it a go :D

akademus
08-20-2007, 05:28 PM
Hey Akdemus, do you still keep in touch with Pliars?

Pliars!? Not sure what are talking about mate!? Could you please be more specific. Thanks!

Cheers

Iain
08-21-2007, 01:42 AM
Not sure I could be more specific. "Tease me, tease me, tease me baby"
Classic stuff.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaka_Demus

akademus
08-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Not sure I could be more specific. "Tease me, tease me, tease me baby"
Classic stuff.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaka_Demus

Hah, if you referring to my nick name I assure you it has nothing to do with smokey Jamaican reggae singer. rastaman...