PDA

View Full Version : Silo - Decent Mac-based UV assistant?

BigHache
07-26-2007, 10:01 PM
I'm looking into Silo as an inexpensive UV tool for the Mac. I understand it does more but my current interest is merely in extending LW's UV map capabilities. Anyone have any takes on this or a comparably priced alternative?

SplineGod
07-27-2007, 09:37 AM
Silo is great no matter what. Definately work getting and the price is right.

Matt Buxton
07-27-2007, 09:55 AM
yeah its pretty good, they use it to teach topology modelling at uni for the games course only thing is, when loading objs into lightwave the normals and double sided polys tend to be a bit random, i must say i used peltmapping for organic figures never tried the silo equivalent

j__
07-31-2007, 07:19 PM
I'm looking into Silo as an inexpensive UV tool for the Mac. I understand it does more but my current interest is merely in extending LW's UV map capabilities. Anyone have any takes on this or a comparably priced alternative?

Yes, it's called Blender, and it's free and does a lot more than Silo I would imagine.

I almost forgot....

But don't thank me, thank the wonderful ideasman, IanC and slow67 who are Blender developers for taking the time to inspect a problem that pertains to moving content between Lw and blender.

This is how it was:

Blender's LWo importer triangulated non-planar polygons when it imported them, but then displayed them as quads. Rather unusual and specific bug that, which apparently I was the only person to notice. And then when you went to export again would just write those triangles out. And Ian and ideasman and the others got to the bottom of this. Now it doesn't. However, a guy called slow had come up with another workaround using morph target setting in the OBJ format to import.

One benefit of this is that you can now bring your LWO's into Blender and unwrap them there and export again. Blender's LSCM is much faster than PLG UV anyway, and infinitely more stable, but works the same way, i,e you define some seams (edges), and unwrap.

If you're not familiar with Blender's interface and panels and modes then you will almost certainly need to read a few tutorials on it first, or I can possibly write something quick for you later on when I can.

Download Ian's final script here:

http://apieceofstring.com/lightwave_import.py

Don't use the current LWO importer, use this. Or you can just export your object from LW as OBJ and then import as such, be sure to activate the Morph Target setting in Blender when you import.

Then export the object back to LWO when you're done, or OBJ if you want to use that.

If you want to run the new importer script, I think currently, you need to load it into Blender's text panel and execute it from there.

But don't just treat blender as a plug in or something, because it's very very good.

BigHache
08-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Thanks I'll look into that. I've downloaded Blender, about a year ago, out of curiosity more than a 'let's see what I can do with this'.

j__
08-02-2007, 05:31 PM
Yes, download a new version, it's got a lot of new stuff since then and it's getting better and better all the time.

Also along with its UVs you've got a very good 3d texture painting system that works very well, although I have a suspicion it's not reading the pressures levels correctly from a Wacom.

Essentially just don't have any UVs or any other work done on your object when you bring it into Blender so not to confuse it. As far as I know, Blender currently ignores LWO's weights or selection sets.

On LWO export (and remember these are just different scripts written by different people), Blender doesn't yet write multiple UVs out; it writes one map... probably whatever is there first, or perhaps selected. It seems if your LWO UVs are already there, they get written and the Blender ones won't.

meshpig
08-08-2007, 02:35 AM
I agree, Blender is well worth spending some time at.

Free models here:

http://www.katorlegaz.com/3d_models

J__ thanks for all that.

M