PDA

View Full Version : ArtRage 2.5 Released - Awesome update!

Matt
07-26-2007, 08:24 PM
ArtRage 2.5
http://www.ambientdesign.com/artrage.html

This is a wonderfully intuitive and powerful natural painting program, very cheap too!

I only wish I had a Wacom tablet!

:)

CMT
07-26-2007, 08:35 PM
I've loved that app since the beginning. Feels more like real paint than Painter...

John the Geek
07-26-2007, 08:36 PM
I've loved that app since the beginning. Feels more like real paint than Painter...

It's made by the guys who originally worked on Painter.

I love it too. I'm off to go get 2.5 now...

=)

jin choung
07-26-2007, 11:55 PM
hey matt,

why not get a graphire? not as good as a intuos sure but "hella" cheaper and pretty dang good.

jin

j__
07-27-2007, 12:21 AM
As a 'natural media' app, with a freebie version I guess Art Rage is okkkkkay, but as a quick sketch/doodling app it's not very good and is cumbersome and clunky and juvenile.

The best drawing/doodling app by far is Alias Sketchbook, which is about the only app that got this totally right. I don't know if it's still being updated, but everything else just feels like junk compared to it. It was pretty overpriced though as I recall.

Trevor
07-27-2007, 01:35 AM
I just tried this app, very responsive to my wacom pen.
I do love the way menus move out of the way when you paint close to them, not interupting your brush stroke. I like it.
I just spent 100 pounds on painter 10 ugrade too:bangwall: and I must say, I prefer the feel of this little gem, to painter.

Phil
07-27-2007, 02:27 AM
It's insanely cheap as well, and I'm surprised that 2.5 is a free update. I hope they are raking it in despite the low price. Now if Project Dogwaffle's developers could provide something for OS X, that would also make a great companion (optipustics are wonderful).

John the Geek
07-27-2007, 06:19 AM
The best drawing/doodling app by far is Alias Sketchbook, which is about the only app that got this totally right. I don't know if it's still being updated, but everything else just feels like junk compared to it. It was pretty overpriced though as I recall.

I used to agree. Once I got used to ArtRage and got the settings down it's a little better than Sketchbook for me.

I gave up on Sketchbook Pro when AutoDesk bought them. It's sure to get left behind, especially the Mac version, in the hands of such a bloated company. Ugh.

Lito
07-27-2007, 07:22 AM
It's a really nice program I played around with the free version and ended up buying the full version even though I really don't need it. I must have an impulse control problem. Ooh it's cheap, but powerful, I don't need it but it's only $25 and I get to play around with the other paint tools...sold :).

mattclary
07-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Man, be nice if they had a Linux version...

Matt
07-27-2007, 09:47 AM
It's a really nice program I played around with the free version and ended up buying the full version even though I really don't need it. I must have an impulse control problem. Ooh it's cheap, but powerful, I don't need it but it's only $25 and I get to play around with the other paint tools...sold :).

That's how I ended buying it!

rqe3bc
07-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Well, this is just too much fun, and it seems to run just fine with Windows Evil Vista....now I have to buy it :)

Iain
07-27-2007, 01:25 PM
It's ridiculous that artrage is only $25. I love it and so do my kids. They can use it as well as their paints and pencils.

pixelranger
07-28-2007, 03:09 PM
Ah, at last! I've been waiting for the "export channels" feature for a long time. This is great!!

umstitch
07-28-2007, 03:23 PM
..ive been using this to teach my daughter some painting techniques, she loves it, she is four years old...that says it all for me...

jin choung
07-28-2007, 09:53 PM
oh, and i just read in 3d world magazine ... the genius 9X12 tablet won their tablet shootout!

genius gets a bad wrap and wacom gets a lot of praise but i think it might be all a bit exaggerated with a lot of brand worship to boot.

jin

John the Geek
07-29-2007, 07:20 AM
genius gets a bad wrap and wacom gets a lot of praise but i think it might be all a bit exaggerated with a lot of brand worship to boot.

Or it might be the complete lack of Mac support from Genius. You are forgetting where the Mac has it's biggest support, illustrators and designers. No Mac support means you can make it as great as you want to, but most shops still won't buy anything that won't run on both platforms, because most design shops run both systems.

Wacom wins!

jin choung
07-29-2007, 03:43 PM
ohhhhhhh...

gotcha. but then it can still be a good option for pc folk like me.

jin