PDA

View Full Version : FBX file format - 3D conversion?

Lumeswell
07-25-2007, 07:49 PM
Hi Everyone,

Trying to solve the usual problem - how to get Autocad (or in this case Inventor 3D) files into lightwave, on a Mac.

Trawling through the Autodesk site they make mention of this wonderful new open standard called FBX, which will bring platform independent 3D file formats to any software package. It is, accordiong to the Autodesk wedbsite - 'the most widely used and supported 3D file format ont he market and its rate of adoption continues to skyrocket'.

How adoption continues to skyrocket when it is already the most widely used I dont know, but anyway .....

They also list Newtek in the list of supporters of FBX, but I cant find anything on the Newtek site about this. I had never heard about it before today either.

So, 2 questions:
Does FBX exist, and is it the solution to my problem?

If not - is there a solution for the Mac world, or will I have to look at getting a PC (I dont have an intel Mac) so I can run something like CtrlView?

Thanks in advance.

colkai
07-26-2007, 01:39 AM
Alas, it is only the most widely used in products by Autodesk.

FBX does exist, I use it primarily to output motion data from Motionbuilder to LW.

For actual geometry, most people stick to the OBJ format as it can also export MTL files for textures.
FBX can export mesh data and you can 'import' it into LW, but the later FBX plugin versinos are not available for every 3D package. If it's just geometry, I'd export in OBJ or 3DS format myself.

Lumeswell
07-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Alas, it is only the most widely used in products by Autodesk.

FBX does exist, I use it primarily to output motion data from Motionbuilder to LW.

For actual geometry, most people stick to the OBJ format as it can also export MTL files for textures.

Thanks, I figured as much.

It appears that (as has been noted elsewhere lately) that MOI3D might be the way to go. It will convert IGES files to OBJ. Just need to get that working in my Mac environment!

Clockmaster
07-29-2007, 05:34 AM
This is a very serious issue.

When Alias was a standalone firm, they updates FBX plugins periodically.
Now that it was absorbed by Autodesk, they did not update FBX at all.
Until now, last FBX plugins still works perfectly with LW92, but for the future?
We are risking to loss, in the next generation, the only full featured universal exporter, and this can have a tremendous impact on who base his workflow on that.
If Autodesk doesn't care about it, Newtek must do something to have FBX plugins for Lightwave upadated: the ones included in LW package (kaydara.zip) are really old, far older than the last FBX released by Alias. Please help!

Philbert
08-14-2007, 12:22 PM
I was reading on Autodesk's site that responsibility for the FBX plugins in LW has been transferred to NewTek. They say the SDK is freely available.

IMI
08-14-2007, 05:42 PM
Speaking of OBJ and MTL and "freely available", wouldn't it be a hoot if a future release of LW could do what other packages have been doing for years and combine the two into a nice little import/export thingy?

duke
09-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Thanks for dropping the ball Newtek, now that I can't export multiple UV's via this crusty old FBX exporter (where the FBX exporters for other programs do), I guess i'm ******.

v1u1ant
10-05-2007, 08:11 AM
Major issue in todays world.

Need cross file format export import here Newtek. No ggod fencing yourselves off from the rest of the 3D apps. Collaboration=good business

colkai
10-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Ahem,
Folks, Chuck has already stated that they intend to work on their own FBX from the ground up given some faffing about by Autodesk. They are also hoping to have it implemented within the 9.X cycle.

Chill people, chill.

v1u1ant
10-08-2007, 04:44 AM
Hard to chill with deadlines looming.

*Sips his G n T*