PDA

View Full Version : When 9.2 Crashes

simonwoods
07-25-2007, 04:02 PM
Is there a way to restore without having to restart all the time? I get allot of crashes - modeler or layout, when I shut down the Hub, I get a message that LW programs are still running (they aren't - at least, not on screen) so if I restart modeler, its not talking to layout, so if I'm working on setting up a scene, there is no point working through modeler, as the Hub wont restore iteslf till I restart - is there a simple solution? It would save me allot of time! :help:

toby
07-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Er... I hate to say it but... catch 22 - if you don't use the hub, LW won't crash in the first place! It is a different workflow, but I've only preferred to use the hub once in my 7 years of using LW, adjusting weight maps on a character. Everything else works great with the "replace with object file" and "save object as" keyboard shortcuts.

I'd quantify it by saying; if you only switch once in ten minutes, you'd benefit more by *not* running the hub, if you don't object to the workflow, because of the added stability.

Chilton
07-28-2007, 11:23 PM
Hi,

Er... I hate to say it but... catch 22 - if you don't use the hub, LW won't crash in the first place! It is a different workflow, but I've only preferred to use the hub once in my 7 years of using LW, adjusting weight maps on a character. Everything else works great with the "replace with object file" and "save object as" keyboard shortcuts.

I'd quantify it by saying; if you only switch once in ten minutes, you'd benefit more by *not* running the hub, if you don't object to the workflow, because of the added stability.

Just for the record, I believe we've resolved the Hub issues in the UB version. Please head into the Open Beta and try it out!

-Chilton

simonwoods
07-29-2007, 04:25 AM
Ok thatnks to you both, will try out the suggestions - so far tho,
I have had strange experiences with the 9.2 crashes, I went back to 8.5, and things are more reliable, but I miss the 9.2 features already - its so hard to put ones finger on exactly what was causing the problems, it seemed refreshingly smooth at first to use 8.5, but I just snet that scene file to 9.2, (layout) and it now seems to be ll fine and dandy - so wether it was to do with nodes, hub, sasquatch, IK, is a mystery - maybe nodes, since this file is 8.5 and therefore node free?

toby
07-29-2007, 12:12 PM
I haven't used them for a few versions, but nodes did routinely cause crashes for me too. I think that was CFM.

simonwoods
08-02-2007, 05:32 AM
I did away with Hub, cos things been working better than ever since then - but now I cant open the dope Sheet! Argghh - it will open in an empty scene but not in 8.5 mode nor in studio production mode - arggh, help, wtf? etc!!!!

toby
08-02-2007, 10:08 PM
I did away with Hub, cos things been working better than ever since then -
Another saved soul!! Hallelujah!

toby
08-02-2007, 10:10 PM
but now I cant open the dope Sheet! Argghh - it will open in an empty scene but not in 8.5 mode nor in studio production mode - arggh, help, wtf? etc!!!!
Are you talking about the one that's in the 'new' scene editor? Do you get an error when you try? What does it say?

simonwoods
08-03-2007, 02:32 AM
Yes, I think so - when I click Open Scene Editor, its fine, but when I click Scene Editor~Open, or New Instance, the whole thing just crashes and the whole UI vanishes - not even a message - its a very fast way to shut down!!
all is well in an empty scene, but not when any objects present

toby
08-03-2007, 03:19 AM
Try removing the plugin from the list (alt-F11 - Edit plugins) and reloading it.

simonwoods
08-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Thanks for that advice Toby, I have been round in madenning circles with this for a few hrs, including re-installing 9.2, but nothing has changed - however, I have noticed the problem does not exist when opening files from the Content examples, so it must be something to do with my having brought models in from earlier versions of LW?

I also found a model I made more recently, which has come from 9.2, using this file, the scene editor works fine - so thats some satisfaction for me.

I notice that when trying to remove the scene editor plug ins, some are locked and wont go, not sure wether it would make any difference if I could resolve that, cos the problem is maybe more to do with dated shader refferences, strange content paths, and so on - when I try to alter the plig ins, it always reffered to the 9.0 folder - till I moved it away - all very interesting, but beyond my knowledge or skills to deal with I think

simonwoods
08-03-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm so totally baffled - the model I made in 9.2 continues to function fine, as do the LW supplied examples, yet when I create a new model scene editor still crashes the program. When I open this model I have, its fine, I re-saved it, still fine - add my model made today - crash!

simonwoods
08-03-2007, 02:28 PM
I tell you something else that is going on - I set it off rendering my animation to the renders folder, but they end up in the Newtek folder instead, so I took it out the Newtek folder, and into Applictaions~Lightwave 9.2, sent my renders to Content~Renders, they dissapeared - took me a while to find them - in with applications!! I'd write to Newtek support - but have been ignored - guess they are busy!

simonwoods
08-03-2007, 02:40 PM
when I open this file I'm getting
"The output directory specified does not exist. Select alternative now?
But I don't agree - it definitley does exist - even when I select it from render globals, it remembers what I selected, but not where it is during rendering.

I tried the beta, and get the same scene editor problems - must be something to do with file paths - surely its LW, and not my computer? I dont have these problems with other software

simonwoods
08-03-2007, 04:49 PM
Well its obviously something to do with prefs in the users~myname~library~prefferences folder, I reinstalled, and my files wont open without LW hanging, losing content paths etc, but when I swop my older preffs, everything works for my new files, and hangs the older ones - so looks like I'm going to have to do without scene editor for this projects, then stat fresh when I can - lucky I'd read about these preffs being important on the beta thread, but the whole thing sounded complicated, so I mostly ignored it - warning - dont get involved in betas if you dont know what your doing - lets be carefull out there!

toby
08-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Christ, I haven't gotten any emails about this thread - reading now

toby
08-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Well that doesn't sound good!

I've never heard of Content Directory issues, nor certain objects used with the Scene editor, causing crashes, but if I were you I'd try to eliminate any question of the Content Directory problems - start fresh, new prefs, new directory, and keep *everything* inside it.

And just checking, but you do delete your pref files when LW is closed, right?

simonwoods
08-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Yes, LW all closed - I dont think its a content directory problem, I think its something to do with some link with older files tho, but I'm not at all sure!! (as you may have guessed from my multiple posts - desending into madness!)

I have re-installed, kept my old preffs, cleared plug ins, re-loaded, still get the crash, but not in files that came with the content examples - how strange!

I reckoned I'd continue and finish this little animation I'm doing, then start with the next good set up I can manage - I can live without the dope track, tho I did find it usefull, and still want it back - when I run LW with the newer preffs, it wont load this older work, just crashes straight off - so I thought maybe it would work with new geometry, but its just the same as far as the dope track - seems me and the dope track have deep rooted problems - so may as well continue as is - I'm a bit confussed, cos have tried so many different set ups - (I need to try them all again and take notes) one time I got a thing about TurbNoise + HetroTerain plugs not found, dont know wherethey are meant to be, but not having that problem with current set up - something to do with differences between 9.0 + 9.2 and.or the latest beta shaders maybe? I'll get back to all this in a few days hopefully - thanks for the advise, I'm learning stuff along the way!

toby
08-04-2007, 07:13 PM
If you want to upload a model I can test it in all the different versions with the Scene Editor -

simonwoods
08-05-2007, 06:01 AM
Thanks, thats good of you - heres the content files complete with images, object+scene
As I said, When I load objects / scenes from the LW supplied content, it all works nice, (well, really its just the Dope Sheet causing the torubles I noticed so far) - so what gets loaded with thier file, that doesnt get loaded with mine - or visa versa - it cant be preffs, since they would remain the same with both examples surely?
http://homepage.mac.com/sdwoods/

toby
08-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Your content directory doesn't have the right structure - you need to have scenes in a 'scenes' folder and objects in 'objects'. That solves the paths problem, before I did that, it would always think that the content directory and output paths hadn't been set.

I can't duplicate your Dope sheet crash, even with your original scene and structure, maybe having the content directory set the way LW wants it will help?

simonwoods
08-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Oh, I just copied those items from a proper directory - they are stored in the proper way on my computer.

The content directory probs were just to do with me shifting stuff from earlier versions of modeler I think.

This is all still so peculiar - I have a file, which I created some time ago in 9.2 which doesnt crash, and also those other items newtek supplied with the software work fine - yet when I create a simple ball, with or without a shade, it still crashes lw, on opening dope sheet (scene editor) (not the earlier version of scene editor tho) - as do other pieces of work I have.

toby
08-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Well I'm stumped!

Sorry we couldn't figure it out

simonwoods
08-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Strange - I have uploaded a ball - on here its in content~objects~ball, I open LW, check Scene Editor~Scene Editor, Scene Editor~Open, Scene Editor~New Instance - all work fine. load object Ball and only Scene Editor~Scene Editor work - other 2 a no-no!
http://homepage.mac.com/sdwoods/

simonwoods
08-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Toby if your done with this one, check out my new thread - maybe you can help me there - a few probs with IK, and my double sided shade - thanks - simon:thumbsup:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=577676#post577676