PDA

View Full Version : where is NT from these challenges?

alifx
07-25-2007, 02:48 PM
Hi

I wonder if Newtek joined this list or not

it's the Strange Behavior challenge on CGtalk
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/5500/annttalllg3.jpg

my regards :)

Medi8or
07-25-2007, 03:09 PM
I think Newtek is willing to sponsor, but appearantly you have to advertise on the site to be allowed to give away software/prices for the challenges.

alifx
07-25-2007, 03:14 PM
ahaa.. for that reason newtek can't be a sponsor there maybe?

actually I think cgtalk doesn't care about NT at all! :)

dunno, that's just an opinion

Steamthrower
07-25-2007, 03:20 PM
ahaa.. for that reason newtek can't be a sponsor there maybe?

actually I think cgtalk doesn't care about NT at all! :)

dunno, that's just an opinion

Somehow I think that would be too much of a conspiracy theory to really be true.

voriax
07-26-2007, 02:58 AM
Lightwave's always had a bum rap over on CGtalk hasn't it?

Sil3
07-26-2007, 03:21 AM
If some users wouldn´t get so personally upset when someone talks about LW weaknesses, maybe there wasn´t this "CGTALK doesnt like LW" kinda mentality that some LW users seem to preach to all 4 winds... besides CGTalk doesnt have to care for NT...its a business...the care word doesnt exist in a business relationship.

CGTalk sells Ad space, if NT buys it or not its NT problem not ours (users) or CGTalk problem :)

Steamthrower
07-26-2007, 05:24 AM
CGTalk sells Ad space, if NT buys it or not its NT problem not ours (users) or CGTalk problem

Agreed. What do we care anyway? Does it *really* affect us after all?

bluerider
07-26-2007, 08:53 AM
If some users wouldn´t get so personally upset when someone talks about LW weaknesses, maybe there wasn´t this "CGTALK doesnt like LW" kinda mentality that some LW users seem to preach to all 4 winds... besides CGTalk doesnt have to care for NT...its a business...the care word doesnt exist in a business relationship.

CGTalk sells Ad space, if NT buys it or not its NT problem not ours (users) or CGTalk problem :)
I think LW users get erratted when articles are written about films where the majority of visual effects and other 3D visualization attributes are done using LightWave but the article ommitts accidently to mention this but does mention other software products. In can happen in an accidental frequent manner. :)

Its interesting when this is pointed out by LW users they get labelled fan boys. I think its cool that Users point this out on those forums and are prepared to take flak from annoyed moderators.

Chuck
07-26-2007, 09:11 AM
I think Newtek is willing to sponsor, but appearantly you have to advertise on the site to be allowed to give away software/prices for the challenges.

That's correct. While we do advertise there from time to time it hasn't been to a schedule that coincided with being able to co-sponsor one of the contests.

Sil3
07-26-2007, 10:11 AM
I think LW users get erratted when articles are written about films where the majority of visual effects and other 3D visualization attributes are done using LightWave but the article ommitts accidently to mention this but does mention other software products. In can happen in an accidental frequent manner. :)

Its interesting when this is pointed out by LW users they get labelled fan boys. I think its cool that Users point this out on those forums and are prepared to take flak from annoyed moderators.

Also True...but..how many times have you seen Photoshop mentioned in any FX movie? Do you see PS users getting upset about it? No they dont give a dam :)

I also saw NT saying that LW was used in a movie, and when we are going to see where it was used...its like... in that?? (Kong anyone??)

Anyway..this is a dead issue and most of the times it looks like some kind of "inferior compex" talking when some dont see their package written in the articles, as long as the movie is cool and I like it, what bazilion tools were used to do it... I personally dont give a dam... unless someone still think that movies are made with only one 3d tool like many companies tryed to makes us believe in the 90s and early 2ks...

Titus
07-26-2007, 11:32 AM
Well is not an inferiority complex, is a real problem when many clients come to my studio and ask me to do some work with Maya instead of LW because in their perception some programs are the only suitable to do the job.

Medi8or
07-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Also True...but..how many times have you seen Photoshop mentioned in any FX movie? Do you see PS users getting upset about it? No they dont give a dam :)You got half a point there. How many times have you seen competing products mentioned, and not Photoshop?

I don't care much if software is mentioned in articles or not, but when they do it would be nice if they were somewhat neutral about it. Imagine Parker being mentioned as Tolkiens tool in a review of Lord of the rings. Now imagine he used a Bic for half the book. Not a biggie, I know. Imagine Parker is the biggest advertiser on the reviewers site.

I know, stupid analogy. I should have used one with cars... :-/

bluerider
07-26-2007, 11:44 AM
Titus and Medi8or,
Thanks, thats how I would have responded :) .

alifx
07-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Also True...but..how many times have you seen Photoshop mentioned in any FX movie? Do you see PS users getting upset about it? No they dont give a dam

actually, photoshop is almost like a Standard or Primary tool in every GFX or VFX in the industries... that's why they don't mention it IMHO.

and we all know there nothing better than Photoshop, I never heard Corel draw used for texturing, maybe it used but rarely for some reasons.

so is there a standard or primary 3D software?

the competition between 3D companies is very strong, so every company need to make their business, they care a lot to make their software on the headlines and the big news, Adobe doesn't need to do that, because they are sure that PS will be used with most 3d softwares or productions without a doubt.

with respect ^_^