PDA

View Full Version : head study...

breuer
02-20-2003, 10:19 PM
This is my first real attempt at modeling a realstic head. This head was box-modeled and I spent quite a few hours doing it. It is still a wip though, so some constructive critique would be greatly appreciated . Crit regarding how to make it more realistic...

breuer

groodwanderer
02-21-2003, 12:54 AM
ummm.... this is a finished forum thread they do have a wip forum thread for these sort of questions. congrats on the head it is coming along. I must say that i personally haven't tried to tackle this kind of thing yet.:rolleyes:

oxyg3n
02-21-2003, 01:10 AM
Nice start,

A few things that jumped out to me are:

1. The place where the head meets the neck is really narrow, and it makes it look like the back of his head is really large.

2. His face seems to be flat, maybe try to pull the points out to make it rounder.

3. I think that the lips can be moved up closer to the nose. Generally they are closer to the nose than the chin.

4. And....from the profile view, it appears that his lower eye lid is to far back into his skull or that it is to round. Try to make it flow into the cheek.

Are you using reference images? They can help alot and dont forget to work with a mirror next to you. YOur own face is a wonderful reference.

Keep it up.

Userdelta
02-21-2003, 05:25 AM
good job for a first head. just need some more tweaking in these areas.

Abigor
02-21-2003, 03:45 PM
good start man. i recently tried a head myself. it was supposed to look like someone (and if i do say so myself, it did in the end), but all i had to go off was photos. if u can, try and get ahold of head profiles.. front, side, etc. its also very hand to have an illustrated human anatomy book close at hand for refrence. if i had had those 2 things at the time... im sure it would have gone much smoother. also... if ur modelling from photo refrence, get many photos of the same face from different angles... and focus on one part of the face till u get it pretty dam rite... then move on. at then end u can take an overall look at things, and c what small tweaks need to b made... rather than havin to go back and make major adjustments wich could throw off other areas of the face and just lead to big headaches. hope that helps

Rory_L
02-22-2003, 04:40 AM
Crit regarding how to make it more realistic...
Isn`t anyone going to say `ears`? :D

Well, that aside, you`re off to a good start. I`d take the back of the neck out further, like Oxyg3n said. It`s a fairly bumpy noggin, but I guess that`s within human-possible parameters.

If you want to make the fella a bit more attractive, you might try taking the bridge of the nose out further. At the moment the face is rather concave in profile: a slightly convex one would be more usual.

For the same reasons I`d pull out the cheek bones more too. Right now he looks like he suffers sinus trouble :) There is a depression just in front of where his ears should be. This should really be a bump; the rearmost extension of the cheek bone!

This is a man: he needs a brow ridge.

Perhaps you might pull down the outer corners of the eyes; and give him downward pointing tear ducts.

...and at least get rough ears in place, so you can see the general effect. You`re sure to have to edit the mesh when they`re attached, so you`d better tackle it sooner than later!

All the best,

R

breuer
02-24-2003, 08:45 AM
hey guys, thanks for the comments, very helpful. I've had a usy weekend, but heres an update. I made his mouth smaller and pulled in his lower head to make his face a bit straighter. Have generally tweaked just about in every part of the head in some way or the other.

so what do you think?

breuer

hrgiger
02-24-2003, 09:37 AM
Breuer,

The first thing that jumped out of me is that it looks like he's pulling his head back. If you look at some anatomy reference you'll notice that the cervical vertebrae bend forward jutting the skull a little bit out from the torso.
Also, the distance from the top of the head to the bottom of the jaw looks pretty long to me. A typical skull is generally a bit more round whereas yours is mor oval. Here's your head below with a skull inside. It's not too bad proportionwise, but I think you could round out the back of the head a bit more and shorten the jaw.
One last thing. The lips protrude out from the head too far. Usually, the line from the bottom of the nose to the lips is fairly straight with just a slight curve out to the lips. Obviously, everyone is different but yours is pretty extreme. It almost looks like he has a constant pucker.

breuer
02-24-2003, 03:34 PM
got a bit fed up with the modelling so I started texturing him.
Here his skin base...

Meaty
02-24-2003, 03:58 PM
wow, looks like he has a bad case of radiation poisioning

looks a bit too leathery imo, but i guess it depends on the look you are trying to acheive