PDA

View Full Version : SE and Aero

Corbas
07-25-2007, 10:35 AM
I realize most folks may not want this, but does SE use Aero effects in Vista?

Seems to have the flat non shadow, non glass look.

I happen to like the eye-candy.

Is there a prefs setting?

cork

Scott Bates
07-25-2007, 10:56 AM
Could be wrong, but I seem to remember someone from NewTek saying they programmed something into SE to kill Aero because of the overhead it requires.

SBowie
07-25-2007, 11:10 AM
I recall that, too. A search should pull up the thread...

Paul Lara
07-25-2007, 11:12 AM
roger that.
Aero is like pouring near-frozen molasses on your interface. :(
SpeedEDIT is but one app of many that disables this aspect of Vista.

Bitboy
07-25-2007, 04:16 PM
When starting SE on Vista and the interface reverts to basic mode, a 10th of the screen height at the top turns black and I cannot use it for anything. Have anyone had this happen too?

I've got a GeForce 7950 GX2 graphicscard in my machine if that is any help...

Corbas
07-25-2007, 05:38 PM
I've got a GeForce 8600GTS and don't see anything like you describe Michael. Full height.

Well, as I said I'm one of those "fools" that like the Aero eye-candy. It has not slowed down this system that I can tell. Its just as peppy (actually a bit peppier) as my XP system. Boots faster, easier to navigate. I've do have issues without a doubt, SE itself is not stable for me on this system. But then I think XP was troublesome too initially.

Admittedly, I'm doing video work mostly as a hobby these days and have more time to enjoy the "candy".

Too bad its not available as a pref setting.

John Perkins
07-27-2007, 10:51 AM
The problem is that our preview window uses a LOT of GPU power to manage the vertical sync, simulated interlace, etc.

In a way, it is more like trying to run a 3D game, then having Aero grab the bitmap of the game screen and use that as a texture on yet another 3D surface. As you can imagine the results are sluggish and ugly.

That's a really rough description of how Aero functions. With 2D applications that don't need updates at precisely 59.94fps, it's not noticeable and my even be faster than the old way of managing windows.

Until we find a way to implement our Window directly in the Aero UI, possibly giving up a feature here and there, turning Aero off for the duration of the session is the best plan of attack.

Corbas
07-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Thanks John, it may be a rough description, but given my level of understanding, it works pretty well.

I wonder if Mac developers have similar issues. Seems like a whole lotta eye-candy there too.

cork

Earl
09-03-2008, 02:23 PM
I have to admit, I'm also a little disappointed that my fast new Vista 64-bit system will not allow SpeedEDIT and aero to be used at the same time.

I would definitely welcome a fix so SpeedEDIT can work with aero. As others have noted, I've found aero to actually speed up application interfaces.

billmi
09-04-2008, 07:00 AM
I do realise that SE isn't LW

That's the big difference.

LW isn't trying to keep a stream of uncompressed video rasterized, synched and refreshed at 60 frames a second and then mapped and scaled. Computation wise that's not something Aero is optimised for. Displaying and moving 3D objects like in the LW preview is something it's built to do well.

DiscreetFX
09-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Earl you could dual boot and use Windows XP for SpeedEDIT.