PDA

View Full Version : 3D browser - what's the point ?

Pavlov
07-25-2007, 04:12 AM
Hi all,
as subject.
I need now a good 3d browser... since nothing is ready jet for LW, my choices are two: deep exploration or 3D photo browser.
Deep exploration should be $ 150 but on their website i can find only higher versions which cost WAY too much... how can i buy base version of Deep Explotration 4 ?
3D photobrowser looks good too, but surely weaker.
Any advice ?

Paolo

Dodgy
07-25-2007, 04:35 AM
Looks like you're out of luck when it comes to 3d exploration, I bought mine when it was independent and it cost me $50... now $495??? Are they insane? If you just want to browse, you could use it in demo mode, but it looks like if you want to convert anything after 30 days you're gonna have to put down half a grand....

Steamthrower
07-25-2007, 05:17 AM
It's truly ridiculous. Anyone who knows C++ can write an OpenGL model viewer with under 20 lines of code, calling standard libraries. Giving the program more features isn't *that* complex!

colkai
07-25-2007, 05:19 AM
OUCH!
Glad I got in at the 3D Explore level too then.

I think there are other browsers out there but not sure if they do the thumbnails as per 3D Explore / Deep Exploration.
Yup, mootools.com

http://www.mootools.com/plugins/us/3dbrowserlight/index.asp
http://www.mootools.com/plugins/us/3dbrowserpro/index.asp

Dodgy
07-25-2007, 05:24 AM
Mootools looks like it could be good... Only 69$ too.

colkai
07-25-2007, 05:39 AM
Yup, may test it out, though 3D Explorer is nice, doesn't hurt to check if this has more features. Bets the heck out of even thinking of upgrading Deep Explorer! :p

Pavlov
07-25-2007, 06:33 AM
thanks, in fact i think i'll go Mootools way, cheap and good. It look like it has a drag'n'drop feature for LW too.
DeepExploration looks insanely coslty, so it's out... it was 150 some months ago.
BUT... i really hope NT fills this gap, no browsing or thumbnail is kinda not having a schematic view or a scene editor these days. Both Tajino and Sensei began their own tools, but an effective browser with thumbnails is not here yet, and yes it's pretty incredible.
It would be enough if LWOs had an added tag with a 100x100 pixels screengrab of perspective view (less than 5 kb), readable by windows explorer with an easily writeable DLL - jsut like rhino, Autocad and all other tools do.
Btw, this is a hint ;)

Paolo

colkai
07-25-2007, 07:34 AM
It would be enough if LWOs had an added tag with a 100x100 pixels screengrab of perspective view (less than 5 kb), readable by windows explorer with an easily writeable DLL - jsut like rhino, Autocad and all other tools do.
Btw, this is a hint ;)

Paolo
I couldn't agree more, we should have that capability as it would really make life a lot easier. As it stands, I have to rely on 3rd party, which seems to be sad really. :agree:

Bytehawk
07-25-2007, 10:06 AM
if LW would be able to save a preview in the icon file, that would be uper

cresshead
07-25-2007, 10:10 AM
yeah max has had this for ages..makes finding models a pain in the aspe sometimes..

lw9.3??

colkai
07-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Actually, I can't give the MooTools my backing.
I installed it on my W2K PC and it fubar'd my exe association, so I uninstalled it, and then couldn't run a gorramn thing!

Have sent an EMail to them, but if you're running XP, make sure you set a restore point before installing the demo!

IMI
07-25-2007, 02:22 PM
What Right Hemisphere did with Deep Exploration, while very good, is also kind of tragic.
3D Exploration, the predecessor of Deep Exploration, was invented and owned by a small company called xd-soft, IIRC, and it sold for only $50.00 US. The sales agreement promised free lifetime updates.
Somewhere around mid 2001, they sold it to Right Hemisphere, who immediately released a new version and jacked the price up to $200, I think. They also said they had no obligation to honor the free update promise, but after receiving hundreds or maybe thousands of email complaints, they relented and gave us all ONE free update.
Of course, not much had changed, except mostly for the interface and the licensing scheme.
Deep Exploration has since moved on to CAD Edition, which although very good, IMO, is waaaay overpriced. Like all of RH's software is...
It does exceptionally good file conversions, and reads all kinds of formats, but, still, way overpriced.
I don't know anything at all about mootools, but I think Polytrans claims to be as good as Deep X CAD, but much less in price.

Pavlov
07-25-2007, 03:29 PM
interesting. anyway dont know if Polytrans is also a browser, which is what i'm looking for. I bought 3d photobrowser, let's see...

Paolo

Pavlov
07-25-2007, 04:53 PM
Well, i purchased 3d photobrowser... good tool, but the wonderful thing is that it allows drag'n'drop into modeler.
This saves a lot of time, even with deep exploration i had to find the obj i needed and then find it again into LW loader. Now i find it and drag into LW... pretty nice addition to my toolset.

PS This doesnt mean i wont wellcome analog initiatives from NT or other third part developers - every vague idea of a hint is merely casual ;)

Paolo

Steamthrower
07-25-2007, 05:44 PM
I wonder how easy it'd be to write a LW plugin to do just that?

Might just pull out my Lscript ;)

Pavlov
07-25-2007, 06:21 PM
just curious..

Paolo

IMI
07-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Oh right, you were looking for a browser. Sorry about that. :D

robk
07-25-2007, 08:13 PM
I use Accutrans 3d to view models. It supports drag and drop and will also allow you to create thumbnail pictures of your 3d files (you specify the size), so you can print out reference sheets with something like the faststone viewer. Plus it's only $20 US.
And of course it does a whole lot more.